• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
tumblr_m4gxs5Trg31qfbemzo2_500.jpg

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've enjoyed this season a lot for the most part, although there were some deviations from the books that I didn't like. Dany is a favorite of mine, and I don't like how they're portraying her as whiny and ineffectual. I have full faith that she'll make a comeback next season, though. I also wish Ramsay Snow/Bolton had debuted this season.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've enjoyed this season a lot for the most part, although there were some deviations from the books that I didn't like. Dany is a favorite of mine, and I don't like how they're portraying her as whiny and ineffectual.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't find her to be kind of whiney/annoying in the book
but I guess she was supposed to be about 15 in the books, making it a bit more tolerable.

Though she is somewhat less self-possessed here, to be fair almost all her storyline this season is made-up for the show since she did basically nothing interesting but go to the House of Undying in book 2.

Jon Snow's character is also a lot whinier and weaker. He gets played by Ygritte, beaten down by Craster, Mormont doesn't seem to acknowledge special skill in him, he's why his fellow rangers got captured...

I also wish Ramsay Snow/Bolton had debuted this season.

I also hope we get a good, solid scene with Roose in the finale, maybe at Harrenhal. They've done nothing to build that character so far.

I did think the portrayal of the Blackwater was a solid penultimate episode.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
oh those boltons.

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd be lying if I said I didn't find her to be kind of whiney/annoying in the book
but I guess she was supposed to be about 15 in the books, making it a bit more tolerable.

Though she is somewhat less self-possessed here, to be fair almost all her storyline this season is made-up for the show since she did basically nothing interesting but go to the House of Undying in book 2.

I just don't understand why

Jon Snow's character is also a lot whinier and weaker. He gets played by Ygritte, beaten down by Craster, Mormont doesn't seem to acknowledge special skill in him, he's why his fellow rangers got captured...

I think you're right, but I'm trusting the show's writers a little more here. I think he's going to grow a lot next season and come into his own. I could do without all of the additions to Robb's arc, though. Having said that, I think that both Tywin's and Arya's stories were improved by the changes in the show.

I also hope we get a good, solid scene with Roose in the finale, maybe at Harrenhal. They've done nothing to build that character so far.

Yeah, they've barely even introduced Roose. If I hadn't read the books, I'd be wondering who the guy was who was lurking around Robb every episode.

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am disappointed that I didn't see The Red Viper in the new character list for next season. I think they're making book 3 into two seasons. I was hoping for at least an introduction.

A

Anew Leaf

Finally caught up on the last three episodes. First two were so boring. Blackwater was much better.

The sex scene with Robb and that girl was so awkward for me. Their whole relationship has been one giant cliche and considering:

The Dany plotline is boring with a wonderful dollap of reverse Electra complex. I know Jorah loves her in the book too but it is far creepier seeing it in action on the show. I really hope they do the House of Undying justice.

Many of the scenes with Tyrion and Cersei were quite good.

And yeah... a lot that I didn't like. Also a lot of exposition all of a sudden. It's like every scene a character decides to "tell a story" about themselves to illustrate Who They Are.

/rant.

I am in for an egg, might as well be in for the whole dragon at this point. Maybe season 3 will be better.... but not likely.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
I am disappointed that I didn't see The Red Viper in the new character list for next season. I think they're making book 3 into two seasons. I was hoping for at least an introduction.

yeah but they didn't list brienne at the beginning of the 2nd season, so i'm sure he will play his part in seasons 3/4. what a fucking badass.

also i hope they bring in kevan lannister. he didn't show up on the list of new characters either.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
also i hope they bring in kevan lannister. he didn't show up on the list of new characters either.

He has already appeared in season one. He was in the scenes with Tyrion and Tywin at Tywin's army's camp. EDIT: He's also in a scene or two in season two, when Tywin is discussing strategy with his council at Harrenhal.

I could see the Red Viper and the rest of the Martells not showing til season 4, especially if they split the book in two. He doesn't become that important until the back half of the book.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am in for an egg, might as well be in for the whole dragon at this point. Maybe season 3 will be better.... but not likely.

Season 3 will be drawing from much stronger source material for all of the characters. Hope is not lost.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Season 3 will be drawing from much stronger source material for all of the characters. Hope is not lost.

And, if they split it, give that material room to breath/twice the money/limit the need to cut or alter material to save on time or money.

A

Anew Leaf

And, if they split it, give that material room to breath/twice the money/limit the need to cut or alter material to save on time or money.

I see what you are saying, but what you failed to cover is the [MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION] factor. :coffee:

I will brainwash myself into being happy and then he will post some 2 sentence masterpiece that skewers everything unhappy and wrong with season 3 and then I shall be sad. :D

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
QUESTCHAWN!

For those who have both read the books and are watching the series, would you recommend reading those massive tomes to people just now watching the series?

For myself, I loooooooooooooooove the movie Dune with young hottie Kyle Maclachlan and have watched it several times. But, then I read the first book in the Dune series and was so underwhelmed that I never picked up another one. I do enjoy wikipedia-ing it though to get an overview of the series. I just don't want to read every page of it.

Like most epic sci-fi or fantasy, it is a super dense series to get involved with lightly. I don't read fantasy books generally, either.

If the series is mostly faithful to the books, I'll just stick with the tv series. But if the books are everything the tv series is PLUS SOME and really enhances enjoyment of the story, then I'll go for the books. These books are also hard to come by at the public library with a long wait list and I'm cheap frugral so I'd like to know before I add my name to the list.

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could see the Red Viper and the rest of the Martells not showing til season 4, especially if they split the book in two. He doesn't become that important until the back half of the book.

Yeah, it's been awhile since I read the book, but I recall not noticing The Red Viper until about halfway through the book. I do so want to see him in Season 3, though. I'd be happy if they varied from the book and gave him more screen time.

QUESTCHAWN!

For those who have both read the books and are watching the series, would you recommend reading those massive tomes to people just now watching the series?

If the series is mostly faithful to the books, I'll just stick with the tv series. But if the books are everything the tv series is PLUS SOME and really enhances enjoyment of the story, then I'll go for the books. These books are also hard to come by at the public library with a long wait list and I'm cheap frugral so I'd like to know before I add my name to the list.

I enjoyed the books, particularly books 1-3. Book 4 is a bit tedious, and I've not quite finished Book 5. So far, it is less tedious than Book 4, but not as good as Book 3. I don't read a lot of fantasy, either. I mainly prefer postmodern lit and classics, but I've enjoyed this series. Season 1 is very faithful to the book, but the book enhances the series. Season 2 takes a lot more liberties. Some are good, and some are not, but I think that reading the book has enhanced rather than detracted from my experience in watching the shows.

A

Anew Leaf

QUESTCHAWN!

For myself, I loooooooooooooooove the movie Dune with young hottie Kyle Maclachlan and have watched it several times. But, then I read the first book in the Dune series and was so underwhelmed that I never picked up another one. I do enjoy wikipedia-ing it though to get an overview of the series. I just don't want to read every page of it.

Like most epic sci-fi or fantasy, it is a super dense series to get involved with lightly. I don't read fantasy books generally, either.

BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS OMG CHOOSE THE BOOKS