• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
One thing I'm concerned about in this ep. (Book 3 spoilers)

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Jaqen Hghar's actor is doing such a great job. I imagine that's a difficult character to get right. So happy with him.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Spoilers ahoy, I suppose.

After the first 4 or so episodes I find myself firmly in [MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION]'s camp. I find most of the changes unneccessary and cosmetic, while I can't for the life of me figure out why they're spending good amounts of time on characters/situations that are all but glossed over and happen in the background in the book.

While watching, [MENTION=10491]mmhmm[/MENTION] made the observation that this season has a lot more sex/torture than the last one in what she assumed was a way to keep interest, and I have to say I sort of agree. To me it seems they're adding a lot of fluff for no apparent reason other than there's nothing else to do.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
You know who else I really love? Stannis. When I first saw him, I wasn't sure... But I really feel like the actor/the scenes have changed my perception of his character in a good way. Just little things like the scene with Davos where he corrects his grammar. Like... Damn, you gotta have some iron balls to correct someones grammar while you're talking about the fingers you cut off of him. That cold/steely personality of his is fantastic. I've grown to love him.

Maybe it's because I see so much STJness in Stannis. :tongue: I'm biased.

Yes but he's Thomas Jefferson. I mean from the John Adams series. I had to get that clear out of my head to see Stannis but now - he's great, more like what I pictured from the books.

A

Anew Leaf

Jaqen Hghar's actor is doing such a great job. I imagine that's a difficult character to get right. So happy with him.

Yes... He's also extremely hot. :drool:

Spoilers ahoy, I suppose.

After the first 4 or so episodes I find myself firmly in [MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION]'s camp. I find most of the changes unneccessary and cosmetic, while I can't for the life of me figure out why they're spending good amounts of time on characters/situations that are all but glossed over and happen in the background in the book.

While watching, [MENTION=10491]mmhmm[/MENTION] made the observation that this season has a lot more sex/torture than the last one in what she assumed was a way to keep interest, and I have to say I sort of agree. To me it seems they're adding a lot of fluff for no apparent reason other than there's nothing else to do.

I know... Each episode furthers my newfound annoyance. The first season was done so well and this one has been all over the place.

I agree that the attention being given certain elements is varying a lot compared to the books in ways that don't make any sense.

I am excited to see how dany's trip to the house of undying goes. (braces self for disappointment)

I do agree on the comments about stannis. I never got that into the davos chapters as much as I did with other characters.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I was in the critics camp until this episode last night.

I've been getting the feeling that the first few episodes have been low budget to make up for a blowout in the second half of the season.

To be honest I haven't really liked a second season episode until last night's.

But with last night's episode, I think I've gotten a glimpse of where things are headed, and I'm now excited to see where that is.

The changes that were going to have to be made to film this series were always going to be extensive.

But with the set up last night, especially on the hill with the knight's watch, I'm beginning to see good things coming.

I also like the black merchant in Qarth.

Given the length of the series this show was always going to really take an investment from the viewer, and with last night's episode I think they've sold me on this season.

Let's see where it takes us.

Nicodemus

I see slight improvement in the last two episodes, but not enough to make me happy.

Perhaps my favorite casting decision:

tumblr_m3a52aieOM1qboucmo1_1280.jpg

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I'm not sure if you've read the books but um, the sex and torture are not exactly new. The books are extremely torture-heavy in particular, and the sex is definitely there too, if not always as explicit.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm not sure if you've read the books but um, the sex and torture are not exactly new. The books are extremely torture-heavy in particular, and the sex is definitely there too, if not always as explicit.

Yeah I've read Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings, but I guess I don't remember it being as much of a focus. Part of the problem is that I skim read over non-dialogue so I may not notice it as much. Plus, I don't remember it being as prevelant/useless in the previous season, but perhaps that's just because there was so much else going on to keep track of.

Not that I mind. Just something I took notice of.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
There's a lot of sex scenes in this season that are completely added. The show's creators really like what a lot of people are coming to call "sexposition," where backstory or plans or motivation are explained and also there's a naked woman hanging out. Now that Littlefinger's away from his brothel and things are gonna start getting more action heavy, I think we'll see less nudity. But, I'm sure they could find a way to sneak it in if they really wanted, most easily via Cersei or Shae.

As for the torture, the only extra scene of torture they've added so far that I can remember is with Joffrey and the prostitutes. Otherwise that seems pretty even with the books.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As for the torture, the only extra scene of torture they've added so far that I can remember is with Joffrey and the prostitutes. Otherwise that seems pretty even with the books.

Oh yeah, I was trying to remember if that was in the books! I didn't think I remembered it...I agree that the sex is more explicit, but it doesn't clash with the book for me, since it's plausible for them to have happened and just not described in the book. Video is of course more visual too so you can have that extra information in the context of a conversation without having to write a distracting paragraph about "btw, there are naked women in the room". :laugh:

It bothers me more when they needlessly changed scenes from the book, although there haven't been any really major ones so far at least. Just a jarring distraction every so often when a scene clashes with the book.

LEGERdeMAIN

I like to assume that all shows are incredibly boring or stupid or bad in some way, mostly because I don't have a tv or cable and I want to believe that almost everything on z tv is a total waste of time. I've been watching loads of documentaries lately because I got to the point where I couldn't watch any fictional film without having a strong urge to evacuate my stomach through my mouth, but now I'd like to watch something, a series maybe that will replace hours of restlessness with mind-numbing entertainment. I'm ready, but I've watched a few minutes of one game of thrones episode and I felt cheated. How can you convince me that this show is right for me?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like to assume that all shows are incredibly boring or stupid or bad in some way, mostly because I don't have a tv or cable and I want to believe that almost everything on z tv is a total waste of time. I've been watching loads of documentaries lately because I got to the point where I couldn't watch any fictional film without having a strong urge to evacuate my stomach through my mouth, but now I'd like to watch something, a series maybe that will replace hours of restlessness with mind-numbing entertainment. I'm ready, but I've watched a few minutes of one game of thrones episode and I felt cheated. How can you convince me that this show is right for me?

There's lots of naked women in it.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
How far did that fiction aversion apply? Could you read, say, the Wall Street Journal but a classic novel turned you off?

LEGERdeMAIN

How far did that fiction aversion apply? Could you read, say, the Wall Street Journal but a classic novel turned you off?

No, I can't read the WSJ straight up. I have to actually use Drudge Report, which is only slightly better. I'm reading a book right now, nonfiction, it's great, but probably because it's based on someone's perspective of real events. I read a novel recently, which was excellent but something I should've read at a different time. I've started watching Mad Men, and that seems to be fine. I didn't really give GoT a real shot, just a few minutes so maybe I should at some point, given the positive reviews. I'll have to wait until I reach a stopping point in MM first and I'm still trying to finish a couple of documentaries that I've started but haven't finished. I have no plans for the future.

BTW, how do you like boulder?

Last edited:

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
No, I can't read the WSJ straight up. I have to actually use Drudge Report, which is only slightly better. I'm reading a book right now, nonfiction, it's great, but probably because it's based on someone's perspective of real events. I read a novel recently, which was excellent but something I should've read at a different time. I've started watching Mad Men, and that seems to be fine. I didn't really give GoT a real shot, just a few minutes so maybe I should at some point, given the positive reviews. I'll have to wait until I reach a stopping point in MM first and I'm still trying to finish a couple of documentaries that I've started but haven't finished. I have no plans for the future.

BTW, how do you like boulder?

I used WSJ as a random example of a periodical, and didn't really mean specifically that paper, which I should have clarified. But I take it from your reply you rarely read fiction.

If you'd prefer something with a realistic tinge in your TV it's probable you'd enjoy the Wire. Game of Thrones has been described as mix between that and Lord of the Rings, which is likely a fair description. More real and complex than the latter, but with some fantastical elements of the former.

As to Boulder, I should note I haven't technically lived there for a few months and need to update that. I'm more in the Denver region now. However, Boulder is an extremely nice town. It's very beautiful, not too spread out, and there's plenty of things to do. A fair number of the people there are college students, so make of that what you will. The cost of homes and apartments can be a bit steep, however.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Haven't watched the 5th episode, but can't give up the thread just yet.

Yeah I've read Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings, but I guess I don't remember it being as much of a focus. Part of the problem is that I skim read over non-dialogue so I may not notice it as much. Plus, I don't remember it being as prevelant/useless in the previous season, but perhaps that's just because there was so much else going on to keep track of.

Not that I mind. Just something I took notice of.

The second book was brutal compared to the first one, largely because the first one took place during a time of peace while the second one is staged in a land savaged by war.

The books actually had more references of rape, gory bodies, and burned villages as Arya traveled the landscape before being captured, and more of the Tickler (and his pet rat, if I recall) as well. The series actually tamed down Arya's storyline IMO, although it amped up Joffrey's to make up for it.

The book was written in a historical-fiction style rather than as pure fantasy, and the first season did a good job of staying true to the tone of the book. It's partially why so many critics that initially dismissed the fantasy series came around by the end. The jury is still out on the second season, though.