• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
yeah that was such a dumb change. i have been trying to strangle my inner fangirl purist but that just annoyed me.

also book 5 spoiler

Mind telling me what happens? I'm squeamish but curious... :blush:

I just keep feeling like I'm missing out. I really want to like this series. In fact, I like a lot of things about it. But the overall experience was a bit conflicting... Actually I found myself wanting to like Cersei and Sansa and Theon and all the 'less-likeable' characters because I felt like they were not getting enough love from the author...

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Mind telling me what happens? I'm squeamish but curious... :blush:

I'm not gonna be too forward, but if you really want to have an idea I'll put it in spoilers.

Book 5

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not gonna be too forward, but if you really want to have an idea I'll put it in spoilers.

Book 5

Ok, thanks! I think I get the idea...

When the series ends I might try to give it another go if it has a solemn and uplifting humanistic ending... :blush:

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
huFvn.png

A

Anew Leaf

Ok, thanks! I think I get the idea...

When the series ends I might try to give it another go if it has a solemn and uplifting humanistic ending... :blush:

:rofl1:

Sorry, but I think the one thing that is going to be guarenteed is that this series will end with great weeping and gnashing of teeth.

:newwink:

I think that is partly why I like it... *is weird*

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Martin is a huge fan of bittersweet endings. So if I were a betting man...

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah, I really really doubt this will be a happily ever after sort of thing :laugh:

S

Society

so... is Joffrey ever given a more interesting spin other then pure teenage power drunken malice?

Beorn

Permabanned
[MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION] [I can't write on your wall]
I sort of like Cersei too, to be honest. Again, she knows what's going on and the image of the Lioness fiercly guarding her cubs is apt. Her only real fault is that she's so externally focused she can't see Joffrey for what he is, and the stress of managing and guarding takes its toll on her as she becomes extremely paranoid and vindictive as things start to fall apart. She is always most likable when talking about Jamie and when she shows a little emotional openness.

I can see that view after book 1.

Keep reading your opinion might change.

I like Tyrian's assessment of cersie in book 5.

“Cersei is as gentle as King Maegor [the Cruel], as selfless as Aegon the Unworthy, as wise as Mad Aerys. She never forgets a slight, real or imagined. She takes caution for cowardice and dissent for defiance. And she is greedy. Greedy for power, for honor, for love.”

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Has everyone seen the SNES parody? Season 1 plot stuff only:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hftnySHVnF0&feature=fvwrel"]SNES Game of Thrones[/YOUTUBE]

so... is Joffrey ever given a more interesting spin other then pure teenage power drunken malice?

Sort of. The TV show has softened Cersei a fair amount compared to the books. I always felt that Joffrey never stood a chance at being a normal kid. Yeah, he's a little shit, but considering his upbringing there was little way he'd be anything else. Also, as a 13 year old kid he isn't quite as bad in the books. For instance, it was Cersei that killed off Robert's bastards in the books.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Sort of. The TV show has softened Cersei a fair amount compared to the books. I always felt that Joffrey never stood a chance at being a normal kid. Yeah, he's a little shit, but considering his upbringing there was little way he'd be anything else. Also, as a 13 year old kid he isn't quite as bad in the books. For instance, it was Cersei that killed off Robert's bastards in the books.

It's pretty clear to me that Joffrey isn't just a kid who has way too much power (he certainly is, and his age may contribute to his inability to think pragmatically while ruling or his bucking the advice of others), but even stories from his childhood are cruel (and his brother and sister are not like that at all). Joffrey is just naturally sadistic and unfeeling as a person. Personally, I'm not bothered by this. Joffrey can be just awful because he's A) not a central character and B) why can't sociopathic, virtually all bad people exist in fiction without being called unrealistic or cheap? They exist in real life, and which is quite a bit more complex than even a very complex fantasy

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have much to comment on now, but I wanted to subscribe to this thread and say I've been pretty much obsessed with this series since I was introduced two years ago. <3

I haven't been able to read anything else after starting these books... everything else (fantasy related at least) seems cheesy and lackluster. :(

KDude

I don't have much to comment on now, but I wanted to subscribe to this thread and say I've been pretty much obsessed with this series since I was introduced two years ago. <3

I haven't been able to read anything else after starting these books... everything else (fantasy related at least) seems cheesy and lackluster. :(

I'm starting on them myself.

You might like Dune. From what I can tell, it's a similar mix of action and political manuevering. I haven't been able to get into many sci-fi novels, but it's great. Fantasy is usually cooler to me, but there's a lot I haven't come around to yet.

KDude

It is kind of corny, but I do like the more visceral depictions in fantasy. I wished I lived in "simpler times". Places where you can make your way in the world just "adventuring", not without dealing with "paperwork" and other modern bullshit. Places where you could solved disputes by chopping off heads. We all live in a cage really. There aren't many options to get your kicks, like people in fantasy novels do.