• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds about right, [MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION]. I think being able to mesh books 4 and 5 together will make for a much stronger narrative.

To reply to your spoilers:

omg I can't wait for that. :happy2:

A

Anew Leaf

Sounds about right, [MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION]. I think being able to mesh books 4 and 5 together will make for a much stronger narrative.

To reply to your spoilers:

:holy:

That is where I was thinking they would end S3 as well... holy crap that will be glorious. I sobbed when I read it. *is emo*

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

That, and I'm guessing they're not gonna wanna leave some of their most important actors out of the action for the season, especially since some of them are big draws or could have contract issues with that.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I just watched it. I'm holding off on commentary until Sunday because I think it's probably rude to get all spoiler-happy with an episode that isn't out yet... But I will say that I think I'm doomed to be one of those book snobs who spends the entirety of the season annoyed by their deviations from the novel.

and the last scene of episode twelve really annoyed me.

Alright, so it's aired in the US. You guys talking about

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Alright, so it's aired in the US. You guys talking about

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Ah. My guess is

SOME BOOK 3 SPOILERS

I had assumed you were annoyed by

BOOK 2 SPOILERS

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I had assumed you were annoyed by

BOOK 2 SPOILERS

It is WAY more than implied.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It is WAY more than implied.

Yeah, through book 5:

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Great episode.

I'm looking forward to see how this actress handles Theon's sister.

Yeah, that's gonna be a problem when I'm discussing the show with friends who haven't read the books, cause I'm gonna keep calling her Asha.

VERY, VERY MINOR SPOILERS FOR BOOK 2 AND 3

A

Anew Leaf

Yeah, that's gonna be a problem when I'm discussing the show with friends who haven't read the books, cause I'm gonna keep calling her Asha.

yeah that was such a dumb change. i have been trying to strangle my inner fangirl purist but that just annoyed me.

also book 5 spoiler

A

Anew Leaf

yeah that was such a dumb change. i have been trying to strangle my inner fangirl purist but that just annoyed me.

also book 5 spoiler

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
It is funny reading this thread, so many spoiler buttons. I wish I could get into these books, I could use a new series. Just too depressing. I read first book but now I just want to know synopsis, not suffer along with them.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I may be in the minority, but I find the Lannisters one of the more likable factions solely due to their realistic worldview. They are not deluded, know how to play the game, and are fantastically ruthless. I really enjoyed book 2 as Tyrion really got to shine and owned it, it's sort of bittersweet how it ended for him.

I like how it really cast aside the idea of virtue, of "True Knights" and their worthless vows, and just the general fluid landscape of loyalty as power shifted throughout the realm. I particularly loved Catelyn and Jamie's conversation near the end of the book. Jamie is unapologetic, honest about his intentions, a clear conscience in regard to his actions, and why not? He understands perfectly.

Otherwise, I found book two a little dull, with odd pacing, and mainly just setup. Some spoilers ahead.

S

Society

3rd episode is apparently out on the HBO thing - all we need now is to wait for a good pirate to leak it... anyone? please?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
[MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION] [I can't write on your wall]
I sort of like Cersei too, to be honest. Again, she knows what's going on and the image of the Lioness fiercly guarding her cubs is apt. Her only real fault is that she's so externally focused she can't see Joffrey for what he is, and the stress of managing and guarding takes its toll on her as she becomes extremely paranoid and vindictive as things start to fall apart. She is always most likable when talking about Jamie and when she shows a little emotional openness.

A

Anew Leaf

[MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION] [I can't write on your wall]
I sort of like Cersei too, to be honest. Again, she knows what's going on and the image of the Lioness fiercly guarding her cubs is apt. Her only real fault is that she's so externally focused she can't see Joffrey for what he is, and the stress of managing and guarding takes its toll on her as she becomes extremely paranoid and vindictive as things start to fall apart. She is always most likable when talking about Jamie and when she shows a little emotional openness.

I see your point. I guess she just aggravates me because of how unselfaware she is about things that I want to smack her. :laugh:

I eagerly await your POV update after finishing through the books.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I may be in the minority, but I find the Lannisters one of the more likable factions solely due to their realistic worldview. They are not deluded, know how to play the game, and are fantastically ruthless. I really enjoyed book 2 as Tyrion really got to shine and owned it, it's sort of bittersweet how it ended for him.

If you watch the Season 1 DVD commentaries, you hear from the directors and writers that they frequently repeated the mantra "No Villains" to themselves, apparently. The idea being that even those who are perceived as the blackest and most vile of characters are still written with scenes that may show even the faintest bit of humanity to them. That they didn't want any caricatures of some kind of comic-book villain in the show; they wanted real people who may make decisions that can be perceived as evil, but they're still human and real. I think it's interesting to look at characters with that in mind. "No Villains"

Also, in reply to your Book 2 spoilers:

Random Season 1 tidbit: All of the actors repeatedly laughed about how different the actor who plays Joffrey is from his character. They were stressing how he's one of the most kind/considerate people on the set and he was always sweet to everyone. Also, Khal Drogo is apparently a teddy bear IRL. Cersei's actress swears like a sailor and is hilarious.

Also, at one point Arya, Sansa, and Bran are doing a commentary together and start goofing off during the intro. This made me smile so much:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t92ukx0A2fk"]Arya/Sansa/Bran[/YOUTUBE]

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't forget about the Simpsons parody!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUGzIfDRrLs"]Game of Simpsons[/YOUTUBE]

Oh, and I enjoy what Martin does with the Lannisters as well. I think there's too much Cersei in book 4, but it's very possible the real problem was not enough of other characters.