• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like GoT (I want to read the book) and had no problem when I came across these two issues. But that may be because these kinds of concerns were burned out of me by The Wire, which was really tough for the first few episodes (it had a huge cast from episode one, though the heavy majority is black with 2-3 different hairstyles that aren't that radically different. I was still trying to learn character names like six or eight episodes in) and that show, despite early misgivings just like the ones listed here (and the fact that, at the time, it was maybe the slowest moving show I'd ever seen) it became my favorite series of all time, a title it still holds today.

Game of Thrones is also a series that needs a little build time, but it is thoroughly good (not Wire good, but good). Keep going with it. You'll learn to appreciate the fact that it doesn't over-baby the viewer and expects them to be intelligent enough to catch onto a world that existed and was complex before they arrived.
Hey thanks. Yes, it seems to take a lot of build time. :thinking: But the complexity seems worth it. That's one of the things that made pokemon one of my favourite cartoons. In the end I learned all the 150 pokemon names. It is harder when they are all introduced at once and are so similar, but I will figure out a way to remember their names. :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I watched the whole 1st season then read all 5 books. The show, thus far, sticks very close to the book and I was happy to see that. Naturally the books are richer, more detailed, and the characters are a little more defined than on the show. All and all, I think it's great and fantasy isn't really my cup of tea either.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I like GoT (I want to read the book) and had no problem when I came across these two issues. But that may be because these kinds of concerns were burned out of me by The Wire, which was really tough for the first few episodes (it had a huge cast from episode one, though the heavy majority is black with 2-3 different hairstyles that aren't that radically different. I was still trying to learn character names like six or eight episodes in) and that show, despite early misgivings just like the ones listed here (and the fact that, at the time, it was maybe the slowest moving show I'd ever seen) it became my favorite series of all time, a title it still holds today.

The Wire is one of my all time favorites. I was overjoyed to see Michael Kenneth Williams cast in Boardwalk Empire as Chalky White. He's absolutely perfect in this role, just as he was being Omar.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The Wire is one of my all time favorites. I was overjoyed to see Michael Kenneth Williams cast in Boardwalk Empire as Chalky White. He's absolutely perfect in this role, just as he was being Omar.

He's one of Boardwalk Empire's highlights. The scene in season one where he tells the Klansman about his father's tools and he "ain't making no bookcase" was maybe my favorite moments in the whole season. It's awesome and a testament to his skill that when I see him as Chalky I never think of him as Omar.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
He's one of Boardwalk Empire's highlights. The scene in season one where he tells the Klansman about his father's tools and he "ain't making no bookcase" was maybe my favorite moments in the whole season. It's awesome and a testament to his skill that when I see him as Chalky I never think of him as Omar.

No I never think of Omar when I see Chalky, just the same intensity. I only wish he had a bigger role, he is mesmerizing.

Nicodemus

I think the best performance is usually delivered by Michael Shannon as Nelson van Alden. My favorite character is Nucky.

A

Anew Leaf

I think the best performance is usually delivered by Michael Shannon as Nelson van Alden. My favorite character is Nucky.

He really has done an amazing job with that character.

I also love the Chalky character.

I find myself surprised at how much I am enjoying this series.

So It Goes

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Game of Thrones

'Ello, all.

Have you guys seen the super cool awesome fantastic show, Game of Thrones, based on George R.R. Martin's book series? What did you think of the show, the characters, the books, and the potential happenings in the second season? I haven't read the books yet, but I am addicted the show. I can't stop bothering people about midgets with shields and who will plot to take the throne and what creatures will come in winter. Perhaps, I've said too much. Oh well. Come to this thread to discuss the show, but please don't reveal any spoilers about the second season if you've read the books.

A

Anew Leaf

'Ello, all.

Have you guys seen the super cool awesome fantastic show, Game of Thrones, based on George R.R. Martin's book series? What did you think of the show, the characters, the books, and the potential happenings in the second season? I haven't read the books yet, but I am addicted the show. I can't stop bothering people about midgets with shields and who will plot to take the throne and what creatures will come in winter. Perhaps, I've said too much. Oh well. Come to this thread to discuss the show, but please don't reveal any spoilers about the second season if you've read the books.

I've read all five of the books, and they are amazing. GRRM is pretty much my secret writing hero now. :)

The first season did a great job in depicting the book. There is more backstory in the books, but considering the monumental task HBO faced in making it into a TV series... they did a marvelous job. If you wanted to dive into the books, you would be a good place to start with book #2. Otherwise, you can just impatiently wait for each season to arrive. :)

The casting has been very, very well done; especially with the children.

Nicodemus

The casting has been very, very well done; especially with the children.
129114225472809918.jpg

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
'Ello, all.

I watched the first season then immediately read all five books. Fantasy has never been my cup of tea but, I absolutely love the books and so far, the series. It sticks fairly close to the book, which is good and I do agree with most of the casting. In particular, Peter Dinklage and Mark Addy (Tyrion Lannister and King Robert Baratheon, respectively).

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've only read through about 2/3 of book 3 (I've got the next 2 books waiting, but I have not been in a reading mood lately, so who knows when I'll finish). I felt the first season did and excelent job of getting the feeling/atmosphere and major plot elements of the book. My only complaint was/is that the dire wolves are far smaller on screen than the in book descriptions would lead one to believe. Season 2 will add some new characters that I'm very much looking forward to seeing and hearing (and a lot of them should be in the first episode since they are introduced in the first chapter of book 2).

I felt the casting was good, in particular, Peter Baelish, Varys, Eddard, Arya, Tyrion, Tywin, Jamie, Cersie, Joffrey and Viserys were all a very good match to what I envisioned from the books.
Jon Snow and Daenerys were quite different from what I imagined for appearance, but I think the actors for both of them have done a fine job and still capture the essence of the characters.

[MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION]
Which characters do you think were poorly cast?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
read 4/5 books. I didn't like books 3-4 nearly as much as 1-2. the 4th one was almost a chore to get through. hopefully the 5th one is better, but I don't feel like investing in hardcover to find out. the tv series was awesome in the first season, hoping it continues.

KDude

I have the first book, but haven't read it yet. Now the show came out and I'm tempted to just start with that. I don't have HBO though... and I'm not sure if it's worth purchasing a whole season on disc, sight unseen.

So It Goes

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks for merging.

This Game of Thrones thread now harnesses the powers of the Old and New gods.

I downloaded the first book, yesterday.

Favorite characters in the first season:

Tyrion Lannister

game-of-thrones-tyrion-lannister-hbo.jpg

Bronn

Game-Of-Thrones-Bronn-Sellsword.jpg

Arya

arya-stark-game-of-thrones-20053208-500-275_288x288.png

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister) won a Golden Globe tonight.

Well deserved.