User Tag List

First 46869495969798106146 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, my opinion of Martin's prose is that if you're a speedreader, you won't do it justice. His writing is very easy to parse for fact and detail, without experiencing the actual emotional content of the story. You kind of have to actually actively imagine it in your head, take the dialogue paragraphs and imagine a character actually saying them, their facial expressions, their inflection, etc, if you want to feel any intense emotion -- the reader is filling in a lot of the theatric performance and the events themselves are delivered pretty straight-forward.
    I read one of the books, 2nd one? But this explanation is pretty spot on, and one of the reasons I stopped reading.

People often, if not always, say "Yeah, well the book was better." But to me, the show is better. Just like Fight Club was better than the book. It's the medium of film that can bring certain subject matter more to light.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Lol. Phantom blue balls must suck.
    I think he must still have his balls, because otherwise, having been cut as a boy, he would have turned out quite differently due to a lack of testosterone.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I think he must still have his balls, because otherwise, having been cut as a boy, he would have turned out quite differently due to a lack of testosterone.
    That's a good point. Tho I think traditionally Eunuchs are castrated, balls only. Asian societies took it all. The mystery remains.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I was actually thinking about that last night. Definitely if they're trying to create warriors, they don't want to kill their testosterone.

Although that's typically not what happens, is it? It's usually either removal of the testes or just taking everything? That's why it's a little unclear.

also, you need to somehow keep the urethra functioning correctly if you cut off the penis. Their sense of modern medicine is rather lacking. So again I'm not sure.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

That's a good point. Tho I think traditionally Eunuchs are castrated, balls only. Asian societies took it all. The mystery remains.
    Martin might not have thought this through either... though he spared us that entire love plot, too.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Is Oberyn Martell the best Song of Ice and Fire character or does it get better?

In the books, they remove both the pillar and the stones from the Unsullied. The strength they lose is compensated for by their discipline, unwavering loyalty and an insensivity to pain they get from drinking a special kind of wine with every meal, making them fearless in battle. The Unsullied are trained to be perfect soldiers and sellswords, so one reason they cut off everything is so that they will never want or be able to rape. It's basically one of their USP's. That's why I didn't understand the inclusion of that scene with Grey Worm and Missandei... Even though it was hilarious.

I'm satisfied with how the showdown between Oberyn and The Mountain translated to the screen. It was about as brutal as I remember it being in the books.

Also: Really impressed with Sansa/Sophie Turner. Her scene at the tribunal was great.
    I FEEL ALRIGHT

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

If anyone knows if Grey Worm still has his Pillar or Stones, please PM me. The suspense is killing me.

On the one hand, it simply doesn't make sense to remove balls if you're trying to make a warrior.

"it also greatly reduces the production of certain hormones, such as testosterone."
    "A subject of castration who is altered before the onset of puberty will retain a high voice, non-muscular build"

On the other, if one still has his "Pillar" he could still use it I suppose, though [before puberty] "The person may not develop pubic hair and will have a small sex drive or none at all."

And I'm assuming these unsullied were all castrated before puberty.

Like @Nicodemus said, this may simply have not been thought through by Martin.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    I'm satisfied with how the showdown between Oberyn and The Mountain translated to the screen. It was about as brutal as I remember it being in the books.
    I read it in the book after -- the show seemed even more brutal to me because of all the emotional resonance and the visuals. Gawd.

EDIT: I put all the major Oberyn scenes in my blog.... including the fight from last night. They're a bitch to watch back to back to back, emotionally.

Jenny's Big Adventure Overseas... and Beyond!

Also: Really impressed with Sansa/Sophie Turner. Her scene at the tribunal was great.
    She knocked that one out of the park.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

If anyone knows if Grey Worm still has his Pillar or Stones, please PM me. The suspense is killing me.

On the one hand, it simply doesn't make sense to remove balls if you're trying to make a warrior.

"it also greatly reduces the production of certain hormones, such as testosterone."
    "A subject of castration who is altered before the onset of puberty will retain a high voice, non-muscular build"

On the other, if one still has his "Pillar" he could still use it I suppose, though [before puberty] "The person may not develop pubic hair and will have a small sex drive or none at all."

And I'm assuming these unsullied were all castrated before puberty.
    Everything is cut off, and it's done while they're still children. The training begins at the age of 5 and finishes around their mid-teens, but the same day they're cut they're given a puppy to take care of for a year (before strangling it). So it's likely they get cut when they're about 7 or 8, to be able to handle the puppy.
    I FEEL ALRIGHT