• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

S

Society

you people know you can just google "watch [insert episode/show/movie] online for free" to pretty much get a stream of anything you want to watch? not to mention there's plenty of websites dedicated to indexing stream servers by shows/episodes etc, even emailing you when the episodes you like get released online... just google "watch tv online for free" or anything of the sort...

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
you people know you can just google "watch [insert episode/show/movie] online for free" to pretty much get a stream of anything you want to watch? not to mention there's plenty of websites dedicated to indexing stream servers by shows/episodes etc, even emailing you when the episodes you like get released online... just google "watch tv online for free" or anything of the sort...

I don't think anyone here is having difficulty pirating the episodes. It's simply that given the choice, many of us would opt to pay for it if HBO would but give us the option.

S

Society

I don't think anyone here is having difficulty pirating the episodes. It's simply that given the choice, many of us would opt to pay for it if HBO would but give us the option.
...buy the seasonal DVDs after each season.

S

Society

god damn weeky episodic content... come on, we know they've filmed them... giv'em to us!

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
...buy the seasonal DVDs after each season.
That is what I just said.
I downloaded all of Season 1 and then bought it on DVD when it came out to support it. Ill do the same with Season 2. When HBO learns to embrace the power of internet consumers, I'll gladly give them my money.

But that doesn't nothing to help me follow the season on a current/weekly basis.

You don't seem to be following the conversation. I don't have any issue finding the show if I want it, I'm just venting about the fact that some media companies fail to embrace the internet as a source of income. There are a large base of consumers who /would/ like to give them our money in exchange for watching Game of Thrones as it airs, but they've made it completely impossible for us to do so without resorting to piracy. I do not like pirating. I do not want to pirate it. I want to pay them. And I think there are a lot of other people who would do the same. They just haven't provided the option.

It's shitty business sense.

S

Society

That is what I just said.

But that doesn't nothing to help me follow the season on a current/weekly basis.

You don't seem to be following the conversation. I don't have any issue finding the show if I want it, I'm just venting about the fact that some media companies fail to embrace the internet as a source of income. There are a large base of consumers who /would/ like to give them our money in exchange for watching Game of Thrones as it airs, but they've made it completely impossible for us to do so without resorting to piracy. I do not like pirating. I do not want to pirate it. I want to pay them. And I think there are a lot of other people who would do the same. They just haven't provided the option.

It's shitty business sense.

yes, i skimmed it and completely failed to realized it's venting or that you've done what i did... sorry for that.

for the most part i agree, and worst for non americans - global distribution rights, the dreaded "you can't see this from your country" sign for the companies that do release their stuff online, so even then you end up pirating (or using proxies).

but for now i don't see the problem with pirating it now and paying later. if there's anything that the spirit of generation Y has made clear:
paying for media = selective art donations

now we just sit and wait until someone realizes all the lobbying and campaigning against piracy is costing more money then it could possibly save in terms of forming boundaries people will jump over anyway... anytime now... we don't have all day...

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
for the most part i agree, and worst for non americans - global distribution rights, the dreaded "you can't see this from your country" sign for the companies that do release their stuff online, so even then you end up pirating (or using proxies).

This is the worst. After I saw "In the Loop", for example, I had virtually no options when it came to watching "The Thick of It" except online illegally (especially since there are zero plans to release the DVDs in the US. I hope the new HBO series Veep is popular, because it has the same creator as "The Thick of It" and if that show takes off they might decide it could be profitable to release the show here).

Oh, I could also get a region-free DVD player and buy it on Amazon UK. So there's that.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Why is this out?? O_O

I don't know why. I think they do it as pre-tests for special subscribers, and someone ripped it off the site. I downloaded it.
But this only means I have longer to wait for the next episode.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I don't know why. I think they do it as pre-tests for special subscribers, and someone ripped it off the site. I downloaded it.
But this only means I have longer to wait for the next episode.

I just watched it. I'm holding off on commentary until Sunday because I think it's probably rude to get all spoiler-happy with an episode that isn't out yet... But I will say that I think I'm doomed to be one of those book snobs who spends the entirety of the season annoyed by their deviations from the novel.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
So I take it that season 2's diverging from the book more than season 1 did? Season 1 was really rather close to the book -- at least as close as reasonable for the format. But I think that's easier with a first book in the series, especially with something like this, where it's one continuous story, and the little deviations almost must start to snowball eventually.

Write me up as another person who'd like to pay for GoT, but can't in the way I'd like to. I won't pirate it, as I don't consider that a fair thing to do to the author/writers/staff, etc. But I also don't want to have to pay for cable (which I have but am considering dumping because it's so darned expensive for how little I use it) *and* HBO (which I don't subscribe to via my cable provider). So my solution is "wait for the DVD's" -- which means waiting for a year. If I could dump cable and subscribe to HBO online, or better, buy the show as it was released, I'd do that in a second. But I can't. So I wait, and miss out on participating in all of the fun online discussion. I still read some (as I've read the books, spoilers aren't an issue), but it's still annoying.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
So I take it that season 2's diverging from the book more than season 1 did? Season 1 was really rather close to the book -- at least as close as reasonable for the format. But I think that's easier with a first book in the series, especially with something like this, where it's one continuous story, and the little deviations almost must start to snowball eventually.

I know this wasn't aimed at me, but I'm guessing the extent that it deviates is gonna be tough to call on episode 2. Season one only really differed in scenes that wholesale weren't in the books if I remember (Season 2 still has these). There are a few other deviations in S2E1, but they pretty minor and were probably done for narrative reasons or to give characters and avenue to vocalize their opinions on certain things.

Regardless, Martin is involved in the production of the show (he wrote one episode last season and one this season, and is clearly involved beyond that). I'm sure whatever's different won't be a major issue. It really can't stray too far. The books are densely plotted.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Episode 2 was out early because HBO Go released it early in the Netherlands and Poland. I don't think they'll be doing that again, though.

I just watched it. I'm holding off on commentary until Sunday because I think it's probably rude to get all spoiler-happy with an episode that isn't out yet... But I will say that I think I'm doomed to be one of those book snobs who spends the entirety of the season annoyed by their deviations from the novel.

I find that not all changes are equal. I don't mind changes that don't really affect the overall heart of the story even if it introduces minor plot holes, such as Shae living in Tyrion's room vs the elaborate hideaway or the location where Dany sent out her 3 riders.

I generally find extra scenes that could have happened but the book couldn't provide, such as Ned spotting Arya on the Sept of Baylor, Varys and Littlefinger's banter, or the montage with killing Robert's bastards, to be interesting.

I can accept changes they were forced to make because of it the requirements/limitations of a TV show, such as Ghost barking, character name changes, or Tyrion getting knocked out in the battle last season. (They were originally going to have Tyrion riding behind Gregor Clegane, and show the Mountain chopping people down left and right, but they ran out of time with the horses.)

I'm undecided when it comes to tertiary changes that run parallel to Martin's story, such as everything with Roz.

However, the changes that really bother me are the ones where they betray the characters, which in turn cuts into the strength of the story. Littlefinger would not taunt Cersei like that (although I like your theory about the theme of power), and the last scene of episode twelve really annoyed me.

On the plus side, the show creators got a 15% budget increase this season, and most of that was so they could shoot the battle at the end of the season. Rumor has it that season one had a $60 million budget, so we are talking maybe 5 - 9 million dollars dedicated to doing the final battle of the season. Plus, they got the guy who directed The Descent to direct the episode, and George Martin wrote it. I'm excited.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I find that not all changes are equal. I don't mind changes that don't really affect the overall heart of the story even if it introduces minor plot holes, such as Shae living in Tyrion's room vs the elaborate hideaway or the location where Dany sent out her 3 riders.

I generally find extra scenes that could have happened but the book couldn't provide, such as Ned spotting Arya on the Sept of Baylor, Varys and Littlefinger's banter, or the montage with killing Robert's bastards, to be interesting.

I can accept changes they were forced to make because of it the requirements/limitations of a TV show, such as Ghost barking, character name changes, or Tyrion getting knocked out in the battle last season. (They were originally going to have Tyrion riding behind Gregor Clegane, and show the Mountain chopping people down left and right, but they ran out of time with the horses.)

I'm undecided when it comes to tertiary changes that run parallel to Martin's story, such as everything with Roz.

However, the changes that really bother me are the ones where they betray the characters, which in turn cuts into the strength of the story. Littlefinger would not taunt Cersei like that (although I like your theory about the theme of power), and the last scene of episode twelve really annoyed me.

On the plus side, the show creators got a 15% budget increase this season, and most of that was so they could shoot the battle at the end of the season. Rumor has it that season one had a $60 million budget, so we are talking maybe 5 - 9 million dollars dedicated to doing the final battle of the season. Plus, they got the guy who directed The Descent to direct the episode, and George Martin wrote it. I'm excited.

First of all, I'd never heard that thing about Tyrion riding behind the Mountain. That would've been pretty cool.

And I agree with a lot of what you say. Another change from the books that was totally necessary for a TV broadcast is bumping up Jon, Robb and Daeny's ages, and I totally get that.

I think I minded the Shae in Tyrion's room a little more than you, considering how big a deal it is that he keeps her absolutely secret from Tywin, but it's nothing unforgivable. As to Roz, I can forgive it because her role was basically to be a sounding board to characters we'd otherwise see zero behind the scenes stuff with in season one (basically, she listens to Theon, she listens to Littlefinger, she listens to Pycelle, and we get to know those characters. She's just a character other characters can say things to that it would be problematic to say to anyone else, as well as develop exposition (Littlefinger and Catelyn or Theon's stewardship with Eddard) that'd sound clunky otherwise. The Littlefinger monologue, in particular, was pretty awesome).

I thought the exact same thing in the scene with Littlefinger and Cersei. Baelish is way to smart to piss off the queen for basically no reason. I haven't seen the second episode, so no comment there.

As to the battle... yeah, pretty excited.

It's also worth noting that the ratings are way up this season. If it keeps going up (True Blood, HBO's highest rated show, had a very, very similar growth between season one and two) then I think we'll see even bigger budgets and higher episode orders next year. HBO's gonna be very nice to a show that's a proper hit.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
It's also worth noting that the ratings are way up this season. If it keeps going up (True Blood, HBO's highest rated show, had a very, very similar growth between season one and two) then I think we'll see even bigger budgets and higher episode orders next year. HBO's gonna be very nice to a show that's a proper hit.

They're also talking about splitting some of the other books into 2 seasons, which I think will allow them to adhere to the books more closely. It's probably just an excuse to be able to draw it out into more than 5-6 seasons. Since True Blood is already on it's 5th season, and this is doing better... It will get milked for all it's worth.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
They're also talking about splitting some of the other books into 2 seasons, which I think will allow them to adhere to the books more closely. It's probably just an excuse to be able to draw it out into more than 5-6 seasons. Since True Blood is already on it's 5th season, and this is doing better... It will get milked for all it's worth.

Well, that, and maybe give Martin a little time to finish the damn thing. His wife even intimated it's not impossible it'll end up being 8 books.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I minded the Shae in Tyrion's room a little more than you, considering how big a deal it is that he keeps her absolutely secret from Tywin, but it's nothing unforgivable. As to Roz, I can forgive it because her role was basically to be a sounding board to characters we'd otherwise see zero behind the scenes stuff with in season one (basically, she listens to Theon, she listens to Littlefinger, she listens to Pycelle, and we get to know those characters. She's just a character other characters can say things to that it would be problematic to say to anyone else, as well as develop exposition (Littlefinger and Catelyn or Theon's stewardship with Eddard) that'd sound clunky otherwise. The Littlefinger monologue, in particular, was pretty awesome).

Good point with Roz. I expect she's going to have her own character arc this season, though.

As to the battle... yeah, pretty excited.

I hope so - I can definitely see this series giving us 4 awesome seasons. After that, things get murkier. Translating books 4 and 5 into 2 or 3 seasons, each with their own complete story arcs, will be challenging. It'll require more changes to the book. Also, while there are bits of greatness, I also don't think the source material is as strong.

As far as the budgets, I read in an interview that Benioff and Weiss will try and avoid increasing the budget, since they don't want to cause the show to collapse under its own weight. (See: Rome.) The 15% budget boost seemed more like a one time shot to do the end-season battle right, since it's so central to this and next season's plot. I suspect they'll decrease the budget for next season.

Book 3 is definitely 2 seasons of material. Books 4 and 5 have 3 seasons worth of material, but I don't know if it's 3 good seasons worth of material.

A

Anew Leaf

My guess on the way the seasons go will be:

Book 2/Season 2: 2012
Book 3/Season 3: 2013
Book 3/Season 4: 2014
Book 4&5/Season 5: 2015
Book 4&5/Season 6: 2016

Possible that Season 7 could be book 4 and 5 again.

(Discussing Book 4)

Since GRRM is heavily involved with the TV show, I am going to trust that any changes from the book are minor ones. *crosses fingers* This is his baby after all.

Season 1/Book 1 Spoiler:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds about right, [MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION]. I think being able to mesh books 4 and 5 together will make for a much stronger narrative.

To reply to your spoilers: