• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Essential nippleness."
It sounds so ... metaphysical.

"I see nipples everywhere. Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other, they only see what they want to see. They don't know they're nipples."

Raffaella

bon vivant
For statistical purposes, there's approximately 22 minutes of nudity/sex scenes in 40 hours - the Huffington Post actually made a two compilation videos.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
QUIZ: How Long Would It Take You To Read The Entire 'Game Of Thrones' Series?

In case you were thinking of diving into Game of Thrones sometime soon, you may want to consider this: It would take the average person -- regardless of his or her allegiance to Westeros -- well over a year to read the entire series. Of course, variables include how much time said reader was able to devote to reading each day. To find out how you stack up against other George R.R. Martin fanatics, Blinkbox Books has assembled a reading speed quiz.

My results:

You could read the entire Game of Thrones collection in 42 days. (382 days faster than the average person!) Your reading speed is 709 words per minute.

[Note: I committed 1 hour each day on the pull-down. When I actually binge-read, I can read anywhere from 4-6 hours a day easily enough... which would be 7-10 days.]

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The nudity itself seems to be the least of issues to get offended about, if one is going to be honest.

The violence and the treatment of women would seem likely to generate more reaction.

Yes, everyone is complaining about excessive nipples, and nobody is complaining about someone's skull getting crushed through the eyeballs (it wasn't even that brutal in the book).

Honestly, I have no clue what they are doing with the Iron Islands. They may not even include that subplot at all, which is odd, because I think it's going to be pretty important to the endgame. (Meanwhile, I loved reading about Dorne, but I have no idea where it's going.)

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Maybe it's because, speaking as a female, we're sick as hell of always f*cking hearing about how important tits are, and fantasize about smashing skulls. Frankly, this makes perfect sense to me.

Raffaella

bon vivant
^

giant-neil-fingleton.jpg.r.nocrop.w610.h610.jpg

Whoa, I had no idea it was an actor. This guy is 7ft 7" (232.6 cm), he's 1.5x my height.

As for reading rate, those tests are odd since the rate increases as I get further into the book (and I imagine it's the same for everyone).

Also, you can learn dothraki online.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Regarding Littefinger -

Although he is definitely one of the most admirable charaters in the show with regards to intelligence, cunning and long term planning, I think there is a bit of a flaw in the writing of his character.

Most decisions he takes throughout the series - behind the scenes and in the scenes - could easily be considered sociopathic/antisocial personality disorder. However, he is obviously not a sociopath and probably does what he does out of sheer selfishness and hunger for power. Still most of the risks/decisions he takes are borderline psychopathic. But he clearly isn't one - which is proven in his genuine love for Catelyn. We could we not assume that he is doing what he does out of some past trauma that has lead him to adopt such a selfish powerhungry attitude? Yet he doesn't seem to have any trauma that might have caused this. Is the author missing something?

The Mad king was clearly a sociopath and what caused him him sociopath tendencies was his paranoia due to getting caught and being held a prisoner. I think he could be considered a Neurotic Psychopath. I think another good example of a neurotic psychopath is Lord Shen from Kung Fu Panda.

Joffrey is probably a born sociopath/psychopath.

Little finger is non of the above. So what caused him to be so amoral?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think with the Mad King, the emphasis should be on "Mad" -- he behaved destructively because he was mentally impaired / had some kind of actual disorganized thinking pattern. True psychotic break.

I agree about Joffrey, who was just kind of some sadist; he liked having power, he liked using his power, and he had no real feelings for those he used his power against, so he would be as prone to hurt or spare someone just to see what happened as he would be to torment them. it was like bug-crushing. However, he wasn't impervious: There were a few moments where his pride had been hurt, however, and it revealed he could be touched -- and these were typically scenes in which Tyrion had bested/humiliated him somehow publicly. Tyrion was not only the one who it seemed that Joffrey could not rattle or harm even when he tried, but who had disdain/indifference towards Joffreys' power and would put him in his place.

I'm not sure what is up with Littlefinger myself. So far it's come across that he loved Cat but when she married Rob, he basically just gave up on love completely and invested his energy into politics since little mattered to him anymore. it does seem like a 'game' to him, and he's invested in playing it even as basically just to see how far he can actually get and perhaps even win.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, it's true: GRRM actually still writes in WordStar 4.0. Good grief... I actually remember that program (that and WordPerfect and XYWrite were staples at the time), but it was already fading in the early 90's I think.

https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/adv...rious-writing-habit-george-r-r-030918684.html

Martin says, “I still do all my writing on an old DOS machine running WordStar 4.0, the Duesenberg of word processing software (very old, but unsurpassed).”

He goes on, “I am not on Facebook. I am not on Twitter. I will not be on the next new thing to come along, the one that makes Facebook and Twitter as obsolete as GEnie and CompuServe and The Source, those halcyon communities of yore.” [5]

Wordstar sample screen:
qK2afAKFBB9DJiTIPf9MRJtZ6_eKlAuPnYRGaHbaO_0QO2p1VHBDJjITR3nTfoTAv1P4OZkVpwe7r6q_uSFkt5Q-9VgG1Fy9UwDZ5LrOqiGxiXWwUGArtko=s0-d-e1-ft

Favored by all monochrome monitor users the world over!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
George R.R. Martin Says 'Game Of Thrones' Season 5 Deaths Will Surprise Book Readers

However, Martin revealed at the Writers Guild of America Awards on Saturday that all fans are in for big surprises in "GoT" Season 5. “People are going to die who don’t die in the books, so even the book readers will be unhappy," Martin told Showbiz411. "Everybody better be on their toes."

Yeah, so all your "Book"ers out there -- better beware! You don't know what might happen either!

.... wait... people might die this season? On GoT? NO WAY. :(

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Season 4 came out on Bluray this week.

I picked up one of the special cases at Best Buy. I was looking for Martell but they only had Stark, Targaryan, and Lannister. I would have taken the Stark case, but it was the shoddiest looking of the three. The bigger thing is that they had a free dvd in there with some production documentaries; I haven't looked at that yet.

11053.jpg

(Yeah, I know that pic says "Third Season," but my box actually does say -- and contains -- "Fourth Season.")

Since I was watching bad-quality streams the night after the HBO airing, it's been nice to actually pop in a bluray and see a high-quality image where I can see all the details + hear all the dialogue adequately.

I ended up watching episodes 6 + 7 tonight and will watch 8 and some of 10 later.

It was fun watching Tywin try to manipulate everyone to get what he wants, then watch Tyrion have his heart gouged out by Shay and then go on the verbal rampage.

Or watch Balish close off Episode 7 with probably the cruelest words he has ever uttered.

...And gosh, i've missed Varys. :(

EDIT: Oh, I don't know if people picked this up on first pass. But in episode 8, Balish is telling Robin Arryn that people die even when they don't leave home. They might die in bed, they might die when eating at the table... and they might even die squatting over their chamberpot.

---------

Anyway, with two months remaining or so, and now with the news that some people alive in the book will die on the show...

... maybe we can make our own public "kill list" (AKA Arya) of which regulars we think might bite it this season? We have two months to ponder before things start up.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I watched a number of the special features on the Season 4 bluray discs.

The deleted scenes + blooper real were pretty lame, honestly.

However, some of the other overview sequences (like "Season 3 interactions" and various clips of the characters/locations/etc) were well-done.

My favorite thing is the 30-minute roundtable with all the main cast members whose characters died in Season 4. It was really neat to see them all IRL and thus what they really sound like / talk like, hanging out and having fun. Charles Dance is far less scary IRL than he was as Tywin, and you could tell he got a kick out of hanging out with some actors who he's old enough to be their grandfather. Jack Gleeson was making terrible puns, Pedro Pascal kept dropping the F-bomb (he's SOOO very likeable), and Rose LEslie (Ygritte) and Mark Stanley (Grenn) probably said the most I've heard them say. Lovely accents. :)

However, it was interesting almost in more who wasn't there:

nos4a2

For me, in the books—maybe less so in the HBO series—killing Joffrey weakened the momentum of the story. To oversimplify, it was almost like killing Voldemort halfway through Harry Potter. Joff was the man villain, the one I was scared of, especially from Tyrion’s POV. What happens when he really comes to power?

Joff had a visceral effect on readers because he was like a junior high bully with nearly unlimited power, and a psychopath to boot. You were happy and relieved when he died, sure, even if he did get off pretty easy for that world with such a quick and relatively clean death. But was it good for the story? No main villain has since filled the void. Perhaps one will, but there are a lot of pages (and character names to remember) in between. So Martin perhaps went too far in avoiding a Lord of the Rings scenario, wanting to show that the universe—his universe—doesn’t care if a character is “good” or “evil” in casting lots, that it’s all shades of gray, etc. Not to say it still isn’t a great series…

When I was skimming this thread I saw a few posts about the issue of Martin’s angry and demanding fans. I can relate to being disappointed over the long gaps between books, but definitely not to being angry at Martin. Stephen King, who went through the same thing with his Dark Tower series—him and Martin could probably start a support group—wrote a book called Misery that was all about such fans. They—esp. the ones who actually send the writer angry/hate mail—are childish people, in a bad and scary kind of way.