User Tag List

Page 6 of 192 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones!

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

I think the best performance is usually delivered by Michael Shannon as Nelson van Alden
    Agreed.

My favorite character is Nucky.
    I agree.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Dali

This guy says what I was trying to say and he does it so much better. (I'd have had a bit more to say about AFFC though)

But I will still buy book six the day it comes out, Godwilling.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Counting 3.1 & 3.2 as two books.

I didn't dislike 3.2, I just enjoyed it less than its predecessors.

I sure hope so (!) since he has gone through the extensive character development and setting the stage for what is no doubt an ending of epic proportions. I mean, I have no problem with character development (I loooooooooooooooove Tolkien's way of going about it, he rambles on but it just... flows) but GRRM disappointed me royally with book 4 (especially). I was especially angry because I had loved the series so bloody much up to that point and was just raving about it and starting to think in Westeros-speak (you know what phrases I mean. LOL) then he goes and... I kind of felt cheated.

Let's drink to that.

Hehe, some comments in this thread amused me and got me thinking, for all of our NTP author's Ne awesomeness, not a single main character is NTP. :P
    (EDIT: Ah, Tyrion)
    ahh, you have the UK version. I am sorry. I didn't realize that other versions split the books into multiple volumes... how confusing! I just checked out the wikipedia page and saw that. I think breaking the books down more than they are sets things up for more comparisons than were intended.

Book 4 was terrible... but I blame that on the fact that Book 4 was 85% characters I didn't care that much about with Arya being the major exception. Book 5 was better for me because it was people I liked.

I am hoping that now that he has gotten through the mess of the middle of a story he orginally was going to tell in only 3 books, that he will be freer to start wrapping things up. I think he succombed to the usual NP issues of expanding outward at a rapid pace and then realizing that in order for him to contract he was going to have to get really creative. Like I can see one issue being trying to bring everyone back together but needing the timelines to mesh up. Some characters are kind of "doing nothing" (Dany) and other characters are doing 500 things.

I know that he originally wanted a 5 year gap between some of the books but then found he was having to do too many flashbacks to fill in the gaps. My sympathies to that as well.

If I do get to meet him I'll get an autograph for you ^_^.

@Edit: Tyrion is very ENTP to me. He is super win!

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    ahh, you have the UK version. I am sorry. I didn't realize that other versions split the books into multiple volumes... how confusing!
    My bookshop was similarly confused, they only had part 1 and I had to explain 3.2 to them which they then ordered and I had to wait weeks for. I almost killed a kitten that day.

I am hoping that now that he has gotten through the mess of the middle of a story he orginally was going to tell in only 3 books, that he will be freer to start wrapping things up. I think he succombed to the usual NP issues of expanding outward at a rapid pace and then realizing that in order for him to contract he was going to have to get really creative. Like I can see one issue being trying to bring everyone back together but needing the timelines to mesh up. Some characters are kind of "doing nothing" (Dany) and other characters are doing 500 things.
    *nod*nod*

Not to sound pessimistic but methinks there might be another three books in the offing, and the final one might have to be completed by a competent 'close friend', with guidelines and notes left by GRRM. (like Puccini's Turandot, where Alfano completed the final section)

SPOILERS AHEAD

I'm not particularly weepy or anything but... did you also feel emotionally drained by the baptism of fire that the good guys are going through? Every single thing that could possibly go wrong for them going wrong and all the deaths.... etc

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    My bookshop was similarly confused, they only had part 1 and I had to explain 3.2 to them which they then ordered and I had to wait weeks for. I almost killed a kitten that day.

*nod*nod*

Not to sound pessimistic but methinks there might be another three books in the offing, and the final one might have to be completed by a competent 'close friend', with guidelines and notes left by GRRM. (like Puccini's Turandot, where Alfano completed the final section)

SPOILERS AHEAD

I'm not particularly weepy or anything but... did you also feel emotionally drained by the baptism of fire that the good guys are going through? Every single thing that could possibly go wrong for them going wrong and all the deaths.... etc
    The poor kittens!!

Dali

The poor kittens!!

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

@Saturned, I totally agree with the last line of your spoiler!! Too bad we'll probably have to wait years to find out...
    -end of thread-

Dali

Yeah, that would be rather unfortunate.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    That is what I am banking on. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that's his ancestry.

Page 6 of 192 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast