User Tag List

First 444525354555664104154 Last

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    What do you think of Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's portrayal or Jaime?

He did a good job with the first two seasons for me, but with the growth in opportunities for Jaime as a character this season (in A Storm of Swords) Waldau has certainly risen to the challenge marvelously.

I look forward to see how he does moving forward.
    I think he gets him right with regards to the books, whether he is trying to or not. Charles Dances, as I said, has not read the books. His portrayal is good because the screenplays are good and capture well the essence of his character. The only thing off about Coster-Waldau is that he is not an imposing person, physically, as Jamie ought to be. A young Dolph Lundgren would have been better. But I don't like Lena Headey, neither her portrayal of the character nor her physical appearance. The screenplays are probably to blame for the former. I think she would have been fine as Catelyn.

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    What do you guys think of Roose Bolton? He looks different than I imagined him from the books, but I think the actor's got the quiet demeanor underlying the cruelty down pretty well.
    He is good, yes, but I would have preferred him to look more like Roose, too.

Replacing Winterfell, perhaps?
    I doubt it.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    t I don't like Lena Headey, neither her portrayal of the character nor her physical appearance. The screenplays are probably to blame for the former.
    They seemed to have changed the character a bit for the TV show and made her more sympathetic. In the books, she tends to consider Joffreý's "boldness" a positive quality.

I think she gives a good performance, but the character is changed quite a bit from the books. I wonder what she'll look like in season 5.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

They seemed to have changed the character a bit for the TV show and made her more sympathetic. In the books, she tends to consider Joffreý's "boldness" a positive quality.
    Yes. Surprisingly, though, most people who only know the show still hate her. But perhaps for other reasons.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

As for the ice and fire thing, I believe it simply stands for the forces of the dragons (fire) and the Others (ice). There are three dragons, all of which need to be flown by someone. I believe the people flying them will be in the same camp rather than in opposing ones.
    This is more along the lines of what I was thinking about the meaning of the title. But obviously there are certain characters associated with the two sides -- Danny with the dragons, Bran and Jon with the ice. So I suppose it's a combination of those things. I think GRRM has just built up the Westeros plot so much to show that all of that is child's play compared to the grand scheme of things?

I'm also glad that I called the Walder Frey/ Roose Bolton scene. That's one of my favorite things about the show, when they add conversations like that between characters we never see interact with each other in the book.
    I think that's the strength of the show, and I like it a lot as well. It might of come across of bland and boring to describe in text. And GRRM is able to convey those subtleties in other ways.

There are a lot of tweaks the show has made simply because it's hard to translate on film, but I'm starting to wonder if some of these tweaks are to make small separations from the book in order to keep book readers interested (not like we need more incentive!). But for instance:

From book 3 (I think?):

On a side note, I'm disappointed they failed to build up the Black Fish's awesomeness.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

i just hope GRRM finishes writing the series,
    nothing would be worse than leaving the epic unfinished

Riva

I haven't read the books but have read a bit about few of the characters. I was upset the author decided to make Roose Bolton such a one sided/dark character. It was interesting to see and how i/we felt about such a wicked amoral man (in the books) working for the side of the north whom we were to see (in simple) as justice seekers or good. But with what he chose to do here his character simply became simple. However there is still a part in me that thinks/hopes that he will change. This is mainly due to seeing sympathy in him in the way he treated his psychopath bastard son. Then again he did so probably he realized it was his son.

His potrayal in screen however I like also his son's. In the books they sound cartoonish.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I think he gets him right with regards to the books, whether he is trying to or not. Charles Dances, as I said, has not read the books. His portrayal is good because the screenplays are good and capture well the essence of his character. The only thing off about Coster-Waldau is that he is not an imposing person, physically, as Jamie ought to be. A young Dolph Lundgren would have been better. But I don't like Lena Headey, neither her portrayal of the character nor her physical appearance. The screenplays are probably to blame for the former. I think she would have been fine as Catelyn.
    I've found that most characters aren't as big as they are in the books. Even Sandor and Gregor.

Besides being fat enough, Marc Addy wasn't big enough to play King Robert.

That being said, I would agree that maybe he isn't as big as Jaime in the books, but he's still a big guy. He's gotta be about 6'2" and 190-210 lbs.

He looks like Jaime should look in the face though. I think I've been surprised at how good of an actor he's turned out to be.

Initially I thought they'd just gotten some pretty face to play Jaime, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how the casting has turned out.

Grey Worm is way to small to be the leader of the unsullied. That for me has been one of the bigger casting size issues.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Attached Images Attached Images

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I've found that most characters aren't as big as they are in the books. Even Sandor and Gregor.

Besides being fat enough, Marc Addy wasn't big enough to play King Robert.
    He did a good job, though. I watched the episode with that scene between him and Cersei discussing their relationship, and it worked. The mutual hatred in that scene is amazing.

Given how they've changed Cersei, though, I wonder how future seasons will play out.

Speculation about possible spoilers.

[Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Society

on a slightly unrelated note, last year, 146 american girls were named Khaleesi.