• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
We're seeing problems with Good people who are noble but not cunning, and we're seeing problems with Good people who are passionate but too headstrong. Good won't triumph just because it's good, it'll be because it manages to be as wise as a serpent, as peaceful as a dove, as resilient as steel, as flexible as the wind.

Right and I like that about the series, it just appeared repetitive and cheap in this instance. My point about helmets was a joke.

I suppose I'm just not that good at explaining my points.

Although shattering expectations is always an interesting endeavour and one which can bring some interesting revelations when it's pitched right, of course this is all personal perspective. For that reason alone I didn't mind the death of Flanders or the wubbly wedding.

A lot of yawners here, methinks.

Actually I'm very low on the empathy test, I rarely if ever yawn when others do.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I bought the Season 1 GoT bluray pack yesterday, which is rather nice since I saw all the episodes originally on lower-quality TV show streaming sites. The images were now very crisp and clear on my 55" TV.

In the pack of goodies, they had a total of 15 short commercial-style snippets for various characters, with the actors explaining the character both in costume and out. I've only watched about 5-6 of them, but I found it interesting to hear from the actors themselves who they thought their characters were:

- Lena Headey actually had a decent sense of Cersei, although I think she credits her with too much intelligence as played. (She seems more like a snake that reacts to any nearby threat, versus true cunning that can bide its time.) She thought that Tyrion and Cersei had the most in common due to the intelligence.

- Peter Dinklage's American voice cracks me up. His voice was far more American and less naturally deep/rich than I imagined; he does a good job at changing his voice at need. Another amusing voice shift: Jason Mamoa AKA Drogo... his normal voice is in the middle pitch-wise and he's kind of amused and easy-going rather than brooding and intimidating.

- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau had an interesting accent -- he's Danish, and I could hear a different inflection in his English than the old English style. He also made a cogent note that Jaime's really not interested in playing the Game of Thrones, which is very true... he's taken more of a "side" position on the whole matter but has no desire to be the Hand, no desire to be in charge of anything. He likes his freedom to respond.

Watching the first episode again and much of the second (S1E1-S1E2), they were far more interesting now that I totally know who the characters are.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also, a thought about Jon's parentage (potential huge spoilers if I'm right):

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Re: your spoiler on Jon, those are the exact thoughts Noah told me when we first started watching. And he's usually unwilling to spoil ANYTHING from the books for me. So I don't think it has been cleared up in the books yet.

Nicodemus

[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION], you theory about Jon is the most widely accepted one among book readers. I, too, believe it to be so.

By the way: There is still someone alive who knows the truth. His children are currently on a journey through the North with Bran.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION] for giving some validity to this.

I just spent some time reading through the one character's history page on the AGOIAF website and I feel 85-90% confident on this... and the other 10-15% I have no idea who else it could feasibly be. Details like this:

That solution seems to fit in SO many ways.

But it hurts to see Ned's and Catelyn's goodbyes in S1E2. Really... Ned loved her so much, and she didn't know the depth of it.

And yeah, Nico -- I couldn't figure out who those kids were when they showed up originally because the name meant nothing to me. Now the connection between the families makes a lot more sense.

Also, I find one of Ned's attitudes interesting:

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
ewe not at all sure about the Jon's theory,

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just watched S4E9. I'm not a big fan of the Wall / Jon Snow storyline (it's one of my least favorites, despite liking Jon as a character), but at least tonight had some zing to it. I'm also a fan of Neil Marshall, from his movies "Dog Soldiers" and "The Descent" (the latter of which being a true fave of mine)... it was good to see him doing another episode of GoT. I felt like this was stronger than Blackwater -- at least, it felt larger and more epic.

And yes, the entire episode is at the Wall. No cuts to other plotlines this week.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm about to watch episode 9 and I only have one question:

(book spoiler)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ I didn't check his pants.

However, I have my suspicions.

R

Riva

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Jon Snow explaining sex to Sam Tarly.

FINALLY! A scene I can really get into, like it's a whole other person...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION]:

Here's an older interview I found interesting:
GAME OF THRONES Season 3 and Season 4 News from David Benioff and George R.R. Martin

It also has a brief mention of the question Martin asked the showrunners while they were pitching him the series and how that played out.

DAN WEISS: He asked us, “Who is Jon Snow’s mother?” We had discussed it before, and we gave a shocking answer. At that point, George didn’t actually say whether or not we were right or wrong, but his smile was his tell. We knew we had passed the Wonka test, at that point.

But a different article says this:

Martin has yet to reveal the truth on the page, but on Tuesday night’s episode of The Writers’ Room screenwriters David Benioff and D.B. Weiss admitted he had confessed it to them.

The pair described having a five-hour meeting with Martin to pitch their idea to adapt the books as a TV series, rather than feature films.

“At the very end of it he said ‘So who is Jon Snow’s real mother?’ – it was a test question,” Benioff told host, US screenwriter and actor Jim Rash.

“We had talked about it amongst ourselves before, and we had an educated guess, which turned out to be right, which is why we’re sitting here,” Weiss said.

“I’m sure he had met other people who had wanted to work on it, studios at least, who hadn’t really read the books, they’d read the cover,” Benioff said.

“I’d be floored if they’d cracked it,” Nash replied.

Martin, who is writing the sixth of the planned seven-book series, has yet to reveal the truth of Jon Snow’s origins on the page, although many fans believe certain facts in earlier novels point to one likely candidate.

So it's a little unclear whether they guessed correctly or not, but at least Martin was convinced that they were invested enough in the series to do the books justice.

From a writer's POV, if I were creating a normal story, what I've suggested earlier is the typical way I'd lay the foundation of such a revelation. It's a sensible way to approach the revelation. However, Martin is so well-known for setting up and then destroying expectations that I cannot really say for sure whether he'll throw a wrench into the works. (For example, he could just say, "Well, actually Ned did cheat, he's human like everyone else; and Jon's mother was just a no-name wench who had too many mouths to feed.")
[MENTION=15392]AffirmitiveAnxiety[/MENTION]: I loved that conversation. :)
Sam had a number of good ones last night (including the one with Pyp).

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
[MENTION=6164]
[MENTION=15392]AffirmitiveAnxiety[/MENTION]: I loved that conversation. :)
Sam had a number of good ones last night (including the one with Pyp).

Oh yeah, Sam really had some nice scenes in this one.

The one with Ollie was also a good moment, however brief.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

And yes, the entire episode is at the Wall. No cuts to other plotlines this week.

I agree with all that. WAAYYY better than the Blackwater battle, which, imo, was very poorly done.

Giants, very badass. Excellent CGI. Gigantic sweeping sythe? Didn't see that one coming. Wicked. That was right on target, leaving a few severed hands stuck in the ice.

Pretty hard to make an action episode on a series that is mostly character, dialogue driven. Good jerb, H-Bo.

Here's that scene with the missile arrow that was epic, wouldn't surprise me if it was taken down soon though:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ Yeah, I'm pretty sure my jaw hit the floor when I saw that.

Only the mammoth was 100% CGI; the giants were actually huge actors green-screened and increased in size.