User Tag List

Page 51 of 192 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones!

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I was never really invested much in Robb or his wife but the mother was a good character.
    She is good, and did a good job of serving as the emotional/moral anchor for the show.

But I kind of get fed up with her (both in the show and in the books) as being such a spectator of the events going on around her.

Given that she had the gumption to free Jaime Lannister maybe I shouldn't feel that way. But she was trapped within how she understood the world in making that decision.

All she could think about was the safety of her daughters, not the potential repercussions with the Karstarks etc... I see plenty of other female characters, who take much more agency in their decision making, yet still have the cunning to play the game and not fuck up so massively.

For instance Lady Olenna and Margary (sic?) Tyrell both seem to be able to make sound emotional and moral choices without being blinded to strategic requirements of the game of thrones. Yara is another good example, but as shes a warrior it kind of isn't a good comparison.

Given that blindness to strategy, a trait that the last episode highlighted in Robb, I don't feel really robbed by the loss of those two characters.

Yes they were good people trying to do the noble thing, but they should have learned a lesson from Eddard's death in the first book/season. He died because he couldn't let strategic need come before his honor.

Robb and Catelyn (stark forces etc..) were massacred because Robb couldn't get over some trim from Volantis. This is why I care more about the likes of Tyrion, Jon, Varys and others that can fit being good and noble into first being a sound strategic thinker.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

I had anticipated a twist in the wedding celebrations but I'd actually hoped it would that Robb stark would show some uncharacteristic metal and massacre yon ould boy who insulted his wife, him and his ugly offspring, it'd have annoyed some of the fans who like the more black and white version of virtue but I think it happens. The guy was successful in a number of battles, surely he could have mastered minor intrigue.

Anyway, that shit has happened a lot in real history, something like it happened at a castle ruin near me, Dunluce, and its a set for the GOT show apparently, also I think something very like it also happened at the Edinburgh castle too. Although not Carrickfergus, they just trapped De Bruce's parley team and ate them when under siege.

HopelessSituationWarrior Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp

Allegedly, it was based on something in Scotland called the Black Dinner, although there were probably other similar events.

Also, the heraldry at the top of that page is awesome.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Allegedly, it was based on something in Scotland called the Black Dinner, although there were probably other similar events.

Also, the heraldry at the top of that page is awesome.
    Yeah, that's the one, I read about it in Edinburgh castle and they had a little chamber which was meant to be used in the occasion with pictures projected onto a wall and sounds of people getting accosted and laid low following some feasting and stuff.

The affair in Dunluce is a lot less significant, it was more a come over to our house for pizza and when they got there everyone was waiting on them with swords.

Moving to the BVI Array highlander's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    All she could think about was the safety of her daughters, not the potential repercussions with the Karstarks etc... I see plenty of other female characters, who take much more agency in their decision making, yet still have the cunning to play the game and not fuck up so massively.
    I think the "cunning" is what turns me off. Lady Olenna just seems like a crafty old lady. Margaery Tyrell is an attractive and incredibly interesting character but how could you ever trust a person like that? Dangerous. Poison. Power hungry. Morals bend to suit whatever situation comes. She just participated with her new husband in murdering that poor woman in their room (they just showed the picture afterwards).

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Yes they were good people trying to do the noble thing, but they should have learned a lesson from Eddard's death in the first book/season. He died because he couldn't let strategic need come before his honor.

Robb and Catelyn (stark forces etc..) were massacred because Robb couldn't get over some trim from Volantis. This is why I care more about the likes of Tyrion, Jon, Varys and others that can fit being good and noble into first being a sound strategic thinker.
    Maybe it's better to do the right thing and die than compromise your values and live.

I think Robb was naive and stupid. He sort of had it coming. His mother and Catelyn did not though.

Tyrion and Jon I like. I don't know how strategic either of them are though. Both lack influence and power.

Varys is someone that I just am not attached to as a character at all.

Tywin Lannister is scum. Melisandre is evil. Stannis Baratheon is weak.

The one person I'm advocating for now that is left and seems to be in a position of having a chance of winning the game is Daenerys Targaryen.

New things develop though and I don't know what will happen.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

I was reading about the massacre of glencoe today, scottish history has nearly as much bloodshed as irish history.

Jokes on the Angles though because the red heads are still in the world and making it awesome by their prescence. Our day will come and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I think Robb was naive and stupid. He sort of had it coming.
    He was also 16.

Moving to the BVI Array highlander's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    He was also 16.
    Really? He didn't look 16 at all. The actor playing him is 27.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    He was also 16.
    I'm more understanding of his actions in the books in lieu of that.

It doesn't play quite as well in the show.

Also, after going all war strategy genius in all his battles prior to Bolton's betrayal, it's tougher to buy into his doe eyed love thing.

At the same time, the issue with Robb and his "love" mirrors Ned Stark and his "honor".

So I think in the end I can't fault him that much for being his father's son. But I do fault him and Talisa/Jeyne (whatever) and Catlyn and Sansa for having too saccharine an outlook to live long in Westeros.

Their stories have been too perfect, and seemed to need a dose of the reality that many of those in the rest of the show are already struggling with.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

HopelessSituationWarrior Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp

Is he a virgin in the show still? That was heavily implied to be the case in the book. In the book, there was the implication that he married Talisa's counterpart because he felt guilty about how Jon Snow was treated.

On the other hand, I think Talisa is a better character than Jeyne. Love does make people act like idiots (I'm including myself here, btw), so I buy it.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.