• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's true. I'm looking forward to you guys shitting your pants at the end of the season... actually you all won't be the only ones shitting at the end of the season. Lololololol.

Argggg....my heart can't take much more. :(

But realistically, I don't expect the Wall to hold.

Ps. I don't know much about Johnny's diapers...just that they have pretty ponies on them.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
At least he didn't go the Robert Jordan route of having so many characters that you stopped giving a shit about any of them.

Nicodemus

tumblr_mo3a1ssDtA1qhi3g4o1_500.jpg

A

Anew Leaf

I have been waiting for two whole weeks to respond to this comment...

:3 I love your inner GRRM inspired cruelty. I also sit and malevolently chuckle whenever the show gets to a particular part of a season. I wonder if this is what GRRM therapy is all about really.

You: OMGWTFBBQ just happened?!?!?!

*attempts to discuss moment of Absolute Horror with friends and family only to realize they don't have a clue why you are so upset*

*plot to encourage aforementioned friends and family into reading the series*

*look forward to knowing when their hearts will break in twain and their lunch fixings fly to the floor*

*watch as your quarry encourages THEIR friends and family to read the series*

*finally find closure*

It's true. I'm looking forward to you guys shitting your pants at the end of the season... actually you all won't be the only ones shitting at the end of the season. Lololololol.

LOL. Well played....

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The final scene made me vomit.

Never been shocked like that since the famous Scanners scene. It's just "too much". :wtf:

Hope you were watching with a bucket close by.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm so counterphobic. I watched it a number of times so I could come to terms and lay my sweet prince down to rest.

But my heart's kinda breaking for Ellaria. :(

Nara

MBTI Type
WILD
I'm so counterphobic. I watched it a number of times so I could come to terms and lay my sweet prince down to rest.

But my heart's kinda breaking for Ellaria. :(

Seriously I wanted to watch it again because now this scene HAUNTS me (like a trauma trying to be resolved by rumination). That's INSANE. :mad:@@

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
The final scene made me vomit.

Never been shocked like that since the famous Scanners scene. It's just "too much". :wtf:

Actually I think I overstated my anger, more irritation. I think my irritation is that I understand this is a brutal representation of a world that borders on the nihilistically moral.

But I wouldn't mind that since any work of fiction is an expression of the writer's ideals and points. However it's appearing less as an expression of how holding virtues, or ethics, as important doesn't mean you will receive some universal positive outcome and more a case of: " Whoops should have worn that helmet as someone suggested earlier ".

Hmmmm it could be a public announcement to make us more aware of the safety of helmets, (and frankly I'd love to see that ad campaign).

But more likely it's the repetition of the same point we've already seen a few times for shock value. Oddly I didn't find myself too surprised, just annoyed in a " oh look what happened.... Again " way.

You can even repeat your points in a story, but a new presentation would be nice.

Nara

MBTI Type
WILD
Actually I think I overstated my anger, more irritation. I think my irritation is that I understand this is a brutal representation of a world that borders on the nihilistically moral.

But I wouldn't mind that since any work of fiction is an expression of the writer's ideals and points. However it's appearing less as an expression of how holding virtues, or ethics, as important doesn't mean you will receive some universal positive outcome and more a case of: " Whoops should have worn that helmet as someone suggested earlier ".

Hmmmm it could be a public announcement to make us more aware of the safety of helmets, (and frankly I'd love to see that ad campaign).

But more likely it's the repetition of the same point we've already seen a few times for shock value. Oddly I didn't find myself too surprised, just annoyed in a " oh look what happened.... Again " way.

You can even repeat your points in a story, but a new presentation would be nice.

I feel like he tried to compensate the lack of a meaningfull scenario/story with violence abuse. Like many contemporary artists trying to shock the public because they don't have so much to say actually, you know...
Anyway, yep, disappointing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If that's the perspective you guys are going to choose through which to view his efforts, then why on earth would you continue to watch a show with such a deficient worldview in your eyes? It seems like it should be disturbing enough for you to no longer find it appealing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Deficient worldview ? :rly???:
Relax, you're not what you watch.

Ummm... I am relaxed.
I just see contradiction in your posts, so I don't get it.

You seem to have a pretty critical judgment of the author's intent and motivation, so I don't understand how you find it enjoyable to watch.

As far as some of the other comments, the reality is that a helmet wouldn't have saved Oberyn. That's pretty obvious. Tyrion was making a quip, that happened to have some ironic effect, but it wouldn't have mattered. I doubt that was the point.

And skipping past the obvious brutality of the world (where the poor and weak really don't have many options), I also think we're seeing one of the problems with revenge and violence as a solution to past violence. The fantasy trope typically is to honor revenge and violence as long as it's done in pursuit of justice, and very often the good guy (even if abused and suffering horribly) still manages to pull out victory either by downright winning and enjoying his victory or by somehow making a noble sacrifice that still ends up saving the day.

We can even take one of the obvious comparison points, "The Princess Bride," to examine this in detail. Wesley of course is eventually victorious, managing to conquer all of his foes through superior wit, swordplay, and intimidation. But then we get Inigo Montoya, who spends his entire life planning to get revenge on the guy who murdered his dad; he allows it to consume him; and, although there's a small blip near the end, somehow the spirit of his dead father guides his hand. His "moral rightness" allows him to emerge victorious and happy, without any real repercussion to him emotionally or psychologically from the obsession of training himself to kill this one man.

Is that an honest portrayal of the impact of the revenge fantasy upon the one who allows it to consume him? The reality is that revenge becomes an obsession; violence begets violence; potentially better outcomes are lost; the moral high ground so easily assumed can be lost in a heartbeat. Typically those who are consumed by revenge are destroyed by it.

So which of the stories is more honest? Which is more disappointing?

I don't see these things necessarily as revolving around "shock value" as has been so blithely put, although they certainly WERE shocking. Having one's expectations and the belief that one's motives justify one's actions dashed to the ground is extremely jolting. But it also makes us think again about what justifications we make to ourselves. Ellaria is alone, now, for the rest of her life, because of the obsessions of the past. I think it was a huge wake-up call, that nothing is necessarily ever justified and that one must remain conscious of one's choices and behaviors regardless of what has been done to them in the past. I foresee Arya having similar difficulty if she continues down the road of moral effusiveness, and many characters and events in this story seem to be harbingers of later characters and events.

We're seeing problems with Good people who are noble but not cunning, and we're seeing problems with Good people who are passionate but too headstrong. Good won't triumph just because it's good, it'll be because it manages to be as wise as a serpent, as peaceful as a dove, as resilient as steel, as flexible as the wind.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A few months back when I was reading the books I told a friend of mine how awesome Prince Oberyn was and that he kills the mountain. After watching episode 8 he told me what a shock the ending was and I was happy I didn't spoil too much for him.