• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Question is, does book 4 and 5 get broken into 2 or 3 seasons? I almost vote for 3 because George is gonna need that extra year.

I've heard a couple rumors that Storm of Swords might be split into two seasons. Makes sense: it is the longest book, and in some regions it was originally released in two parts.

Plus, we can always hold out hope Martin might get back into the grove he had during the first three books. He only took two years on each of them.

KDude

Yeah - I see books 4 and 5 being melded together into 2, maybe 3 seasons. The show runners have a good sense of how to make the books into a good TV series, and there's no way they'd give us a season that 60% revolves around the stuff that happened in King's Landing while leaving out several core characters.

Question is, does book 4 and 5 get broken into 2 or 3 seasons? I almost vote for 3 because George is gonna need that extra year.

We'll have to wait and see. George's original intent was to let 5 years pass after book 3 so the kids and pets can get a bit older. However, that didn't work out. In the end, I think books 4 and 5 occurred over maybe 1.5 years or so, so several of the characters will be at least 2 or 3 years younger than George originally planned.

Still, Arya has some really neat material.

Cool enough. Still sounds worth reading. I was just (semi) hoping it spanned decades. As far as the show is concerned, Arya and Jon seemed like the strongest characters to take up the Stark cause (even though they're the most unlikely, being a female and an exiled bastard). Robb Stark just isn't that cool (the actor, I mean). And the older daughter is kind of pathetic.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
No spoilers here.

According to fan sites, the series (that is the five books) so far opened very early in the year 298, and the end of the most recent book occurs late in the year 300 (assumedly, most of the next book will occur in 301, as sample chapters he's released suggest time has not jumped forward). There's a point late in book 3 where it is explicitly stated that is the first day of the year 300, and the ages of the characters over the course of the series supports this.

So basically the first five books occur in a three year span.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've heard a couple rumors that Storm of Swords might be split into two seasons. Makes sense: it is the longest book, and in some regions it was originally released in two parts.

Plus, we can always hold out hope Martin might get back into the grove he had during the first three books. He only took two years on each of them.

There's also been talk that they would film seasons 3 and 4 together. That idea actually makes a lot of sense to me, since they'll be able to save a bunch of money and maintain a bit more consistency between the seasons.

He's past the 5 year gap that he didn't plan on writing, so I also hope he's back on solid ground and will be able to regain his groove. 2 years per book seems a bit optimistic since he's so busy with other projects, but perhaps 3 years per book? Of course, Martin's wife is saying that this series might hit 8 books, and she seems to be better a predicting this than Martin himself. We'll see.

Cool enough. Still sounds worth reading. I was just (semi) hoping it spanned decades. As far as the show is concerned, Arya and Jon seemed like the strongest characters to take up the Stark cause (even though they're the most unlikely, being a female and an exiled bastard). Robb Stark just isn't that cool (the actor, I mean). And the older daughter is kind of pathetic.

While Robb was a bit lame during the first half of the season, I thought the actor did a pretty good job during the second half.

And while I'm not too crazy about Sansa either, she is what she needs to be, I think. I like what Martin is doing with her character as the story progresses, and I suspect we'll have a good payoff with her.

KDude

Does anyone here have the Blu-Ray? I was looking over it again. There's a lot of backstory/lore on it. Some are little animated short stories narrated by the kid who plays Bran.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Does anyone here have the Blu-Ray? I was looking over it again. There's a lot of backstory/lore on it. Some are little animated short stories narrated by the kid who plays Bran.

I don't have the Blu-Rays, but I have read the books. What are the features on? A more detailed description of backstory stuff like Robert's Rebellion, Aerys "The Mad King" Targaryen, or Rheagar and Lyanna?

KDude

I don't have the Blu-Rays, but I have read the books. What are the features on? A more detailed description of backstory stuff like Robert's Rebellion, Aerys "The Mad King" Targaryen, or Rheagar and Lyanna?

Yeah, little narrated stories about past events like that. Some are further back, like the first Targaryen conqueror. Some elements have alternate views. Like a short history of the Wall... but one might be a Lannister view and the other a Stark view. I doubt any of it is new to you, but it's more than what you see on the usual TV show discs.

LucidLegend1984

MBTI Type
INTJ
Just watched the first 3 episodes of the first season and I am officially flippin hooked! This show is amazing. Tolkien may have started the genre but this show is starting where he left off.

I really hate the bad guys and really love the good guys. Talk about a hard life. I personally would have been kill or bard out of any of those kingdoms long ago. :D

The characters are the best! If I'm mistaken, did I just see Conan the barbarian as a barbarian in the show!? Double 0 six is Like maximus on gladiator. Did I mention I love the show!?

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I might be the only one here, but I read the first book and a bit of the second one, and while they were un-put-downable, the story was a tad too much for me to handle. I just felt like it was unnecessarily cruel and violent -- like the author was getting pleasure out of shocking the readers. I know it adds to the history and culture of the world and a lot of it is very convincing, the real world is like that, etc., but when I read it I just felt manipulated. It's hard to explain. Maybe I'm just squeamish.

And... I didn't find the female characters convincing, or the kids' viewpoints... :mellow:

Guess I'm not the intended audience :blush:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I might be the only one here, but I read the first book and a bit of the second one, and while they were un-put-downable, the story was a tad too much for me to handle. I just felt like it was unnecessarily cruel and violent -- like the author was getting pleasure out of shocking the readers. I know it adds to the history and culture of the world and a lot of it is very convincing, the real world is like that, etc., but when I read it I just felt manipulated. It's hard to explain. Maybe I'm just squeamish.

And... I didn't find the female characters convincing, or the kids' viewpoints... :mellow:

Guess I'm not the intended audience :blush:

That's funny - the grimness/"realism" of the books is their main draw for me. His writing style is a little too droning for me, so there needs to be some pull to force yourself through the pages. :D

Beorn

Permabanned
I hate the Cersei chapters. I would just skip over them if the goings on at king's landing weren't so central.

KDude

That's funny - the grimness/"realism" of the books is their main draw for me. His writing style is a little too droning for me, so there needs to be some pull to force yourself through the pages. :D

I like this too. I haven't read the books, but I gathered that a lot of typical fantasy elements are things of the past in this world (like magic). That many don't even believe in it?

But I'm looking forward to something happening with those dragons or what's beyond the Wall.. It's cool when stuff like that is rare.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I hate the Cersei chapters. I would just skip over them if the goings on at king's landing weren't so central.

Yea they suck hard.

I can't remember which one, but one of the later books (book 4 maybe) is mostly Cersei chapters, and I remember having a real tough time getting through it.

I'm interested to see how the show handles the Martell's and the Folks from Sunspear (Dorn).

One of the things I liked most about the books is the haphazard and random nature with which misfortunes befall the main characters.

The realism, the fact that G.R.R.M. doesn't spoon feed points to the reader, and the general complexity of the intrigue involved really drew me into the series.

Season 2 starts tonight!

Get stoked.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
just saw the premiere last night. found the whole first scene of Dany kinda bad actingy and drawn out, although jorah mormont eyefucking her is always pretty funny. i've read the books and have heard rumors that they are going to be changing some stuff, which i am alright with. the dude who plays stannis seems to be doing a pretty good job. it seems the CGI for the second season isn't that great. the direwolf scene was kinda syfy channel-ish in budget.

interested to see how they handle the theon story throughout the series. shit gets pretty dark for that dude.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
I'm interested to see how the show handles the Martell's and the Folks from Sunspear (Dorn).

yeah the dornish storyline seems to be getting set up for fuckin sweetness for book 6. i wanna see the sand snakes fuck some shit up.

A

Anew Leaf

Was that scene between Cersei and Littlefinger in the books? I didn't remember that at all... and I found it kind of annoying because Littlefinger is so contained and careful... I don't see him being that obvious about what he knows to her.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
Was that scene between Cersei and Littlefinger in the books? I didn't remember that at all... and I found it kind of annoying because Littlefinger is so contained and careful... I don't see him being that obvious about what he knows to her.

they are definitely adding stuff to make things meatier. i wouldn't mind if they added a few more scenes of tyrion slapping joffrey around.

btw joffrey = best t.v. villain ever. fuckin love that kid. its like he was born to play that role.

A

Anew Leaf

they are definitely adding stuff to make things meatier. i wouldn't mind if they added a few more scenes of tyrion slapping joffrey around.

btw joffrey = best t.v. villain ever. fuckin love that kid. its like he was born to play that role.

I love Tyrion.

I want his babies.