User Tag List

Page 5 of 192 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

He's previously won an Emmy for the role.

I started reading the novels this week, and am about a third of the way through the first book. I'm shocked at how much younger many of the characters seem to be in the books. Daenerys, Jon, Robb and others are only a year or two older than Joffrey (he's even mentioned as being taller than Jon and Robb).
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

It's the middle ages!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    It's the middle ages!
    I get why they're young (and I certainly get why they decided to cast them older), but before reading the books the thought that the characters would be young (and it'd make more sense in the context of the time) never really crossed my mind.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Dali

I love, love, love this series, read the first two books in November and the last 4 in December; though I do worry whether GRRM will finish the series before he dies.

Books 1 - 2 were absolutely perfect. 3.1 and, to a lesser extent 3.2, was good. He lost the plot in the first third of book 4 and it just became tedious but I had committed and I had to see it through. Book 5 was lackluster and muddled as well but it contained flashes of his earlier brilliance. I've also oft wondered whether the editor was sleeping on the job for the last two; I've caught the silliest mistakes, ones that would seem more at home in a debut novel from a tiny publishing house. Besides, a touch of streamlining and focusing would have been good.

I have high hopes for book six; I have the feeling the criticism of his last two books will light a fire under his rear (and his publishing house!), in a good way. I really don't care whether the book ends up being co-written by a team of ghostwriters (not that they'd ever admit to it), with him at the head, so long as it's effing brilliant.

Is he INTP btw? Would explain a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    I've caught the silliest mistakes, ones that would seem more at home in a debut novel from a tiny publishing house.
    Name them, please.

Anew Leaf

I love, love, love this series, read the first two books in November and the last 4 in December; though I do worry whether GRRM will finish the series before he dies.

Books 1 - 2 were absolutely perfect. 3.1 and, to a lesser extent 3.2, was good. He lost the plot in the first third of book 4 and it just became tedious but I had committed and I had to see it through. Book 5 was lackluster and muddled as well but it contained flashes of his earlier brilliance. I've also oft wondered whether the editor was sleeping on the job for the last two; I've caught the silliest mistakes, ones that would seem more at home in a debut novel from a tiny publishing house. Besides, a touch of streamlining and focusing would have been good.

I have high hopes for book six; I have the feeling the criticism of his last two books will light a fire under his rear (and his publishing house!), in a good way. I really don't care whether the book ends up being co-written by a team of ghostwriters (not that they'd ever admit to it), with him at the head, so long as it's effing brilliant.

Is he INTP btw? Would explain a lot.
    There are only 5 books out so I am astonished you have read 6 of them.

I am pretty shocked that you didn't enjoy the last half of book 3, unless you are misidentifying which ones you didn't like. Book 3 was by far the best with Book 2 close behind.

I think book 6 and 7 will be stronger since he has gotten through the mire of books 4-5. I have great sympathy for what he has gone through to finish these books.

My guess is that he is ENTP but he could be INTP. Either way he is awesome. I hope that I can get my own fantasy series published just so I can meet him at some convention.

Dali

Name them, please.
    Spelling mistakes; awkward syntax; awkward run-on sentences that make little sentence and could do with some punctuation to break them up.... etc The mistakes are there; they're not a dime a dozen but definitely more than are to be expected from an author of his calibre and a series of this 'magnitude'. Of course, it's the editors fault and not his (900+ pages... GRRM gets off the hook).

I didn't write the mistakes down as I went along and I'm prolly not going to reread books 4 & 5 for the purposes of this thread but I'm sure someone, somewhere, on the internet has transcribed the said errors and I'll do a bit of research and get back on this, when I'm not afflicted with post-nap malaise.

Spelling mistakes; awkward syntax; awkward run-on sentences that make little sentence and could do with some punctuation to break them up.... etc The mistakes are there; they're not a dime a dozen but definitely more than are to be expected from an author of his calibre and a series of this 'magnitude'. Of course, it's the editors fault and not his (900+ pages... GRRM gets off the hook).

I didn't write the mistakes down as I went along and I'm prolly not going to reread books 4 & 5 for the purposes of this thread but I'm sure someone, somewhere, on the internet has transcribed the said errors and I'll do a bit of research and get back on this, when I'm not afflicted with post-nap malaise.
    Oh, just orthographic mistakes... I was hoping for story contradictions and such.

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    There are only 5 books out so I am astonished you have read 6 of them.
    Counting 3.1 & 3.2 as two books.

I am pretty shocked that you didn't enjoy the last half of book 3, unless you are misidentifying which ones you didn't like. Book 3 was by far the best with Book 2 close behind.
    I didn't dislike 3.2, I just enjoyed it less than its predecessors.
    I think book 6 and 7 will be stronger since he has gotten through the mire of books 4-5. I have great sympathy for what he has gone through to finish these books.
    I sure hope so (!) since he has gone through the extensive character development and setting the stage for what is no doubt an ending of epic proportions. I mean, I have no problem with character development (I loooooooooooooooove Tolkien's way of going about it, he rambles on but it just... flows) but GRRM disappointed me royally with book 4 (especially). I was especially angry because I had loved the series so bloody much up to that point and was just raving about it and starting to think in Westeros-speak (you know what phrases I mean. LOL) then he goes and... I kind of felt cheated.

I hope that I can get my own fantasy series published just so I can meet him at some convention.
    Let's drink to that.

Hehe, some comments in this thread amused me and got me thinking, for all of our NTP author's Ne awesomeness, not a single main character is NTP. :P
    (EDIT: Ah, Tyrion)

Dali

Oh, just orthographic mistakes... I was hoping for story contradictions and such.
    Actually, I'm pretty damn certain I came across a few contradictions, nothing major but one I can remember off the top of my head is a character's horse changing colour and sex in between books. Lemme get my smoke fix. Brb.

Page 5 of 192 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast