• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Almost 2 full weeks without Game of Thrones! Here's a sneak peak at tonight's episode:

G

Ginkgo

Last week, Pedro Pascal started a Q and A thread on reddit. He seems like a really cool, down to earth guy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh dear god.

... ummm... hey, yeah, you know, like, Sansa?
I think our little girl is all grown up now.

And looks like Ramsay got a promotion.
And someone else got a demotion.

And.... how's that great reaction from Arya? Loved that bit.

Um. Yeah.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Episode 8 Observations

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It was pretty bad

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was pretty bad

Now that was a cray cray movie...not just the part you mention but the first ten minutes as well!

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Large animals are dangerous even when wounded.

Glad to have Sansa putting some points on the board.

Oberyns actor should get some more work from that role. Good job.

Whatever will happen to our favorite imp???

I'll never tell.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Large animals are dangerous even when wounded.

Is it an extrovert thing to talk talk talk before the job is done? :doh:
But I understand that his primary need was to get a confession, not necessarily to finish off the opponent.
My needs would have been different.

Glad to have Sansa putting some points on the board.

Slow starter, but she apparently is picking up some tricks.

Oberyns actor should get some more work from that role. Good job.

Pedro Pascal nailed that role, as far as I could tell.
I'd like to see more of him.

I'll never tell.

The sad part about that episode is that I was more enmeshed in Oberyn's story than Tyrion's.
All that Tyrion stuff was becoming an afterthought.

Classic moment: Arya laughing hysterically and endlessly while everyone else is staring in confusion.
That's pretty much how I feel in this show.
What a harbinger of the last ten minutes.

A

Anew Leaf

I had to look away for most of it. Well done VFX but my god.

This season and the last have reminded me of how amazing book 3 was when I first read it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had to look away for most of it. Well done VFX but my god.

This season and the last have reminded me of how amazing book 3 was when I first read it.

I found the same passage in the book and read it last night after I saw the episode.
I think Martin is great on plot, but he has trouble writing in ways to maximize the emotions.
The prose doesn't really impact me much; the dialogue doesn't really pace well on the page.

What the show seems to be really good at is taking the drama and making it emotionally real. Martin provides great source material and the whole framework of everything, but they are really good at breathing life into his words.

I'm still feeling sick to my stomach, and it's twelve hours later.
Saw had nothing up on this.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it an extrovert thing to talk talk talk before the job is done?

The way they set up Oberyn to potentially be so much more than "the guy that kills The Mountain" is what was particularly shocking about that scene. And also something Martin excels at, building characters up so much, that you're like, "There's no WAY they can die now!! Yay!!" Of course, that's not life, so in that regard I love the writing. Few writers are that ballsy, and even fewer make hit shows.

Bronn: You cannot make a single mistake.

Yeah, Oberyn's arrogance is what got him killed (he winningly glances at his woman half a second before it happens). I was surprised but also not surprised, it was going too well to be true.

I'm still feeling sick to my stomach, and it's twelve hours later.
Saw had nothing up on this.

Ha, I think watching violent movies since I was 10 has desensitized me.

That scene was still very realistically done, and did poke my viscera. It was in the details and realism, 10 teeth getting getting knocked out in one punch, along with the blood, hearing and watching them scatter across the stone floor. I don't know if it was CGI or what, but that looked so real. Kudos to the FX team.

Another part that was so shocking, as I mentioned above, was the investment in the Oberyn. Saw ain't got shit on that.

Not that I think Martin has any qualms about killing off ANYONE, I think if the imp were to survive, maybe it would have something to do with the fact it was a draw? Wild guess. I've seen here and elsewhere the questioning of whether or not the mountain was dead, but he looked clearly dead to me, right after his um, final words.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The way they set up Oberyn to potentially be so much more than "the guy that kills The Mountain" is what was particularly shocking about that scene.

Yeah, this "fight" was not necessarily an endpoint on his arc, it was just the beginning.

It's like Rocky getting crushed by Apollo Creed and all the rest never happened... and maybe even Rocky getting hit by a bus before the match if I want to be honest... because Oberyn was being set up for many potential threads before he tossed in his lot with Tyrion.

Wait.

It's all Tyrion's fault.

He is the Imp.
He is the Black-Eyed Jack.
He is the Wild card.
He is the bringer of Bad Luck.

Everyone connected to Tyrion or who meets Tyrion dies.

TYWIN AND CERSEI WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
TYRION WILL BRING THE DOWNFALL OF THE KINGDOM

Bronn: You cannot make a single mistake.

That's one reason I love the show. It was all telegraphed. Bronn's comment, and what AA quoted above. It was all there. The viewers get their eyes caught on some glorious prize, but it was always our own fault if we were disappointed.

I've heard rumors of the Six Serpents or something? his daughters?

I suspect we're gonna see Dorne coming into the arena next season.

Ha, I think watching violent movies since I was 10 has desensitized me.

I watch a ton of movies (Alien was the first one that was really crazy for me, I read the adaptation when I was about 10 and saw the movie a few years later), but I never seem to get desensitized to it. Or, rather, it's easy to desensitize to one-dimensional people getting brutalized, but when it's someone who feels real, then suddenly it's excruciating. Oberyn was very real to me.

Not that I think Martin has any qualms about killing off ANYONE, I think if the imp were to survive, maybe it would have something to do with the fact it was a draw? Wild guess. I've seen here and elsewhere the questioning of whether or not the mountain was dead, but he looked clearly dead to me, right after his um, final words.

Yeah, I didn't read the book, but it looked like both were dead. I'm not sure where Tywin gets off declaring Tyrion's judgement on a draw.

If anything, it looks like Cersei and Tyrion should be boiled in oil together or something if the gods had anything to say about it ("YOu all suck! Death to the lot o' ya!"). I'd miss Tyrion, but I know how much dying in Tyrion's arms would upset Cersei. To make an omelet.... well, you know how it goes.