User Tag List

Page 37 of 192 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    I wish the show would concentrate on fewer story lines and develop them in greater detail.
    The problem is that they're using a template that has that many storylines in it and know each one is going to have some importance to the overall plot. The other problem is either lack of time or inability to write effectivrly/efficeintly or a mixture of the two, depending on who you ask.

Based on my feelings of the first and second season (I preferred the first) and the fact that the Blackwater episode probably covered the fewest pages of any other hour, I lean towards the time issue a bit. If that's the key problem, and they split up book 3, season 3 should be back on track (or better than ever, since they'll be using the best source material yet), though only time will tell.

Of course, even though I thought the second season weaker than the first, I still like the show more than Nico and Saturned, so make of that what you will.

I will note, however, I have seen shows with a comparable amount of characters/storylines manage to juggle them all and keep every character, even minor ones, very real (specifically thinking of The Wire, but that show is superior to pretty much every show, including this one, so I don't expect that level of quality from pretty much anything).
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Senior Member Array Winds of Thor's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Season 3 starting in 3 hours!
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

Fucking Stoked.

and I thought we were done.... but he said turn back around.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

The first episode was decent.

MBTI
    STFU

i admit that
    at the end got me all choked up.
    what a great character.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

His appearance and revelation are much cooler in the books, though.

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    His appearance and revelation are much cooler in the books, though.
    yeah he kinda pops out of nowhere like ben kenobi.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

HopelessSituationWarrior Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I don't have HBO, but I've been reading the reviews of the latest episodes on the AV club. I don't care about spoilers, since I'm nearing the end of the fifth book. I started reading all the books and finishing them as quickly as possible partially because I was tired of getting spoiled.

Regarding Ser Barristan, the main difference in the book is that

I also hear they are including the Theon storyline, which sounds interesting.

Both of these spoilers are, by the way, very minor, book-only spoilers. They don't really reveal anything that isn't in the TV series, but I'm just being cautious.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It was really interesting to see Theon in the last episode. It does make sense to throw it in now rather than holding out for later - not really possible to do the surprise reveal that the book did since we would recognize the actor, plus IIRC the books told his (upcoming) story mainly through flashbacks.

One small detail that surprised me in this episode was that
    -end of thread-

HopelessSituationWarrior Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

read about that, too, Randomnity. That seems a little puzzling, too, but because the order of things has been moved around a bit, I'm not sure that matters so much.

Minor, book only spoilers.

Big spoilers

It's interesting to contrast Martin's world from Rowling's, as I remarked in another thread. Rowling writes a lot about the value of love, and that's a constant theme in her books. In contrast, love seems to motivate Martin's characters to behave recklessly. The best example of this, I think, is Catelyn Stark.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.