• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I was never really invested much in Robb or his wife but the mother was a good character.

She is good, and did a good job of serving as the emotional/moral anchor for the show.

But I kind of get fed up with her (both in the show and in the books) as being such a spectator of the events going on around her.

Given that she had the gumption to free Jaime Lannister maybe I shouldn't feel that way. But she was trapped within how she understood the world in making that decision.

All she could think about was the safety of her daughters, not the potential repercussions with the Karstarks etc... I see plenty of other female characters, who take much more agency in their decision making, yet still have the cunning to play the game and not fuck up so massively.

For instance Lady Olenna and Margary (sic?) Tyrell both seem to be able to make sound emotional and moral choices without being blinded to strategic requirements of the game of thrones. Yara is another good example, but as shes a warrior it kind of isn't a good comparison.

Given that blindness to strategy, a trait that the last episode highlighted in Robb, I don't feel really robbed by the loss of those two characters.

Yes they were good people trying to do the noble thing, but they should have learned a lesson from Eddard's death in the first book/season. He died because he couldn't let strategic need come before his honor.

Robb and Catelyn (stark forces etc..) were massacred because Robb couldn't get over some trim from Volantis. This is why I care more about the likes of Tyrion, Jon, Varys and others that can fit being good and noble into first being a sound strategic thinker.

Lark

I had anticipated a twist in the wedding celebrations but I'd actually hoped it would that Robb stark would show some uncharacteristic metal and massacre yon ould boy who insulted his wife, him and his ugly offspring, it'd have annoyed some of the fans who like the more black and white version of virtue but I think it happens. The guy was successful in a number of battles, surely he could have mastered minor intrigue.

Anyway, that shit has happened a lot in real history, something like it happened at a castle ruin near me, Dunluce, and its a set for the GOT show apparently, also I think something very like it also happened at the Edinburgh castle too. Although not Carrickfergus, they just trapped De Bruce's parley team and ate them when under siege.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Allegedly, it was based on something in Scotland called the Black Dinner, although there were probably other similar events.

Also, the heraldry at the top of that page is awesome.

Lark

Allegedly, it was based on something in Scotland called the Black Dinner, although there were probably other similar events.

Also, the heraldry at the top of that page is awesome.

Yeah, that's the one, I read about it in Edinburgh castle and they had a little chamber which was meant to be used in the occasion with pictures projected onto a wall and sounds of people getting accosted and laid low following some feasting and stuff.

The affair in Dunluce is a lot less significant, it was more a come over to our house for pizza and when they got there everyone was waiting on them with swords.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All she could think about was the safety of her daughters, not the potential repercussions with the Karstarks etc... I see plenty of other female characters, who take much more agency in their decision making, yet still have the cunning to play the game and not fuck up so massively.

I think the "cunning" is what turns me off. Lady Olenna just seems like a crafty old lady. Margaery Tyrell is an attractive and incredibly interesting character but how could you ever trust a person like that? Dangerous. Poison. Power hungry. Morals bend to suit whatever situation comes. She just participated with her new husband in murdering that poor woman in their room (they just showed the picture afterwards).

Yes they were good people trying to do the noble thing, but they should have learned a lesson from Eddard's death in the first book/season. He died because he couldn't let strategic need come before his honor.

Robb and Catelyn (stark forces etc..) were massacred because Robb couldn't get over some trim from Volantis. This is why I care more about the likes of Tyrion, Jon, Varys and others that can fit being good and noble into first being a sound strategic thinker.

Maybe it's better to do the right thing and die than compromise your values and live.

I think Robb was naive and stupid. He sort of had it coming. His mother and Catelyn did not though.

Tyrion and Jon I like. I don't know how strategic either of them are though. Both lack influence and power.

Varys is someone that I just am not attached to as a character at all.

Tywin Lannister is scum. Melisandre is evil. Stannis Baratheon is weak.

The one person I'm advocating for now that is left and seems to be in a position of having a chance of winning the game is Daenerys Targaryen.

New things develop though and I don't know what will happen.

Lark

I was reading about the massacre of glencoe today, scottish history has nearly as much bloodshed as irish history.

Jokes on the Angles though because the red heads are still in the world and making it awesome by their prescence. Our day will come and all that.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
He was also 16.

I'm more understanding of his actions in the books in lieu of that.

It doesn't play quite as well in the show.

Also, after going all war strategy genius in all his battles prior to Bolton's betrayal, it's tougher to buy into his doe eyed love thing.

At the same time, the issue with Robb and his "love" mirrors Ned Stark and his "honor".

So I think in the end I can't fault him that much for being his father's son. But I do fault him and Talisa/Jeyne (whatever) and Catlyn and Sansa for having too saccharine an outlook to live long in Westeros.

Their stories have been too perfect, and seemed to need a dose of the reality that many of those in the rest of the show are already struggling with.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is he a virgin in the show still? That was heavily implied to be the case in the book. In the book, there was the implication that he married Talisa's counterpart because he felt guilty about how Jon Snow was treated.

On the other hand, I think Talisa is a better character than Jeyne. Love does make people act like idiots (I'm including myself here, btw), so I buy it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Bran and Sansa definitely hit puberty this season.

It's the standard TV thing where actors for kids/teenagers are always older than the characters they're supposed to play. Watch any "teen" drama, and it's obvious everyone is in their 20s. It's just something you have to ignore.

(major book 5 spoilers)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jon is 16, too. At this point in the series, Sansa is 13, Arya 10, Bran 7 and Rickon 4. The actors playing them are all older, of course. Oh, and Daenerys is 15.

Interesting. That makes a difference.

So Joffrey I Baratheon is 15 then. He pretty much looks like it and acts like it.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I think the "cunning" is what turns me off. Lady Olenna just seems like a crafty old lady. Margaery Tyrell is an attractive and incredibly interesting character but how could you ever trust a person like that? Dangerous. Poison. Power hungry. Morals bend to suit whatever situation comes. She just participated with her new husband in murdering that poor woman in their room (they just showed the picture afterwards).

Before I delve into the specific issues, the intrigue and cunning are some of the best parts of the show/books for me. Anything where I can't really figure out whats going to happen before it does, and makes my brain work hard to keep up is a winner in my book.

Almost no other shows (some books do) have intrigue on the level that GoT does, and that gives me a cine nerd hard on for it.

Margary's role in Ros' death hasn't been fleshed out yet. Yes they had the scene where Margary and Joffrey are basically jerking off his new crossbow, but I'm going to need something a little more concrete than that.

Maybe I'm just thinking Margary is a little better of a person than she is, but the scene where she's giving to the poor is making me give her the benefit of the doubt so far.

Maybe it's better to do the right thing and die than compromise your values and live.

I think Robb was naive and stupid. He sort of had it coming. His mother and Catelyn did not though.

Tyrion and Jon I like. I don't know how strategic either of them are though. Both lack influence and power.

Varys is someone that I just am not attached to as a character at all.

Tywin Lannister is scum. Melisandre is evil. Stannis Baratheon is weak.

The one person I'm advocating for now that is left and seems to be in a position of having a chance of winning the game is Daenerys Targaryen.

New things develop though and I don't know what will happen.

Maybe it is better, but if your going to choose play the game of thrones it's not a winning strategy.

If that was my stance I would just try to find the guy who was going to win, and be his loyal vassal and keep my virtue in tact.

If your going to stand on top, you've got to get your hands dirty.

Tyrion is brilliant playing the game, maybe not quite as good as Varys/Littlefinger (not as much practice) but just as talented. They also don't have the constraints of being tied to houses with members more powerful than themselves.

Jon isn't in the same league. He's smarter than Robb and Ned in this regard, mostly because he wasn't the chosen son, but I'm hoping he won't succumb to the same trap. But being smarter than Ned and Robb at playing the game doesn't make one an all star. Without seeing him have to use his wits much (the wall the knights watch and the wildlings don't provide too many instances for us to see his talents) its hard to say how adept he would be.

The scenes with Varys, especially if he's talking to Littlefinger, Tyrion, Olenna (or other smarties) is always a delight for me.

Tywin while certainly a bad guy mostly for his ruthlessness, isn't even close to the level of Joffrey, Gregor Clegane,
etc..

If Tywin was the king and there weren't massive ongoing threats to his family, I think his rule would be infinitely better than Joffrey's, or the Mad Kings, or Robert's for that matter (Tywin is much better at the day to day running of things).

Tywin is also another smarty who I greatly enjoy. Charles Dance is perfect for him casting wise.

I think of Stannis much the same way as far as how good his rule would be. He certainly not as quick as Tywin though (he would never be manipulated by Melisandre that way). Stannis' ruthlessness is in service to his code, but he would run things efficiently as well.

I don't know enough about Melisandre to really have a good read on her yet. I don't like her or trust her but she gets it done.

Dany is a good person, but she frustrates me frequently along the same lines as naive characters in the story. She will need good advisers, and thinkers to keep her ship afloat in the long run I suspect.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dany is a good person, but she frustrates me frequently along the same lines as naive characters in the story. She will need good advisers, and thinkers to keep her ship afloat in the long run I suspect.

Spoiler for book five.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Just going to put this in a spoiler - it's speculation, but touches on the general topic in MSG's spoiler...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just going to put this in a spoiler - it's speculation, but touches on the general topic in MSG's spoiler...

Big book five spoliers:

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
maybe its just me but the re-casting of maester aemon kinda threw me off.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
maybe its just me but the re-casting of maester aemon kinda threw me off.

Thanks for clearing that up, I couldn't remember if that was the same guy or not.

Loved the scene between Jon and Ygritte.

Rose Leslie deserves a bigger role than this the next time around. I hope she gets folded into the HBO regulars along with Michael Kenneth Williams, Aiden Gillen, and whatever the guys name is they have playing Edmure who was also Brutus in Rome.

I could watch Rose Leslie wait for a phone call.

Anyway enough about that, it was great to see Bran and co. meet up with Sam and co.

The scene with Arya getting some small measure of payback wasn't in the books (IIRC) but was needed to placate viewers after last week.

I was kind of disappointed in the Dany scene at the end. As a book reader I was looking for something a little more substantive from her arc. After teasing us with the Jorah/Greyworm/Daario battle, they then just kind of glossed over Dany laying Yunkai low. Great now she has some adoring fans.

I hope this next season gives us some better choreographed smaller battles. The show is great, but where it falls most short of the books for me is when it comes up against budgetary constraints. The happens most obviously where the big battles are concerned.

Where it has made up for this for me, has been when we've have much smaller fights between highly skilled swordsmen. The Fight between Jaime and Ned in the first season comes to mind. Less so the fight between Brienne and Jaime (since he wasn't at his full strength b/c of his incarceration). The hound vs Beric Dondarion wasn't bad either.

I'd much rather watch that than a scene where Tyrion gets knocked out and we miss a large battle that they staged for half an hour. I was really pissed they glossed over the battle at the fist of the first men at the very beginning of this season.