User Tag List

First 1018192021223070120 Last

figsfiggyfigs

Nicodemus, stop being such a little bitch about the show. You just wish you were in it. :}
    Deutsch hipster.

I would indeed like to take part in the production - behind the camera.

Dali

They dropped the ball.

Or maybe it's because I read the books during the intervening period between the two seasons and everything has felt like an anticlimax since.

Or perhaps it's a mix of the two.

Meh.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Daenerys!

That is all.
    Still all I want, and there's not enough of it. She's the character that interests me the most, and everything else is just stuff I have to wade through to find out what she's been up to.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    They dropped the ball.

Or maybe it's because I read the books during the intervening period between the two seasons and everything has felt like an anticlimax since.
    Well, I've not seen season 2, but season one was pretty darned good for a conversion of a big, complex book to TV (I've been reading the books since book 2 came out). But the old cliche about the book being better is really true -- especially if you're "spoiled" by the book, and know what's happening in the show. Anticlimax is a good way to put it -- but if you go into it looking at it as more of a new view of an old friend, it can still be pretty fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Well, I've not seen season 2, but season one was pretty darned good for a conversion of a big, complex book to TV (I've been reading the books since book 2 came out). But the old cliche about the book being better is really true -- especially if you're "spoiled" by the book, and know what's happening in the show. Anticlimax is a good way to put it -- but if you go into it looking at it as more of a new view of an old friend, it can still be pretty fun.
    Season one was fantastically done; I'm pretty certain I'd have enjoyed it even if I had encountered the books before the TV series. I might have also enjoyed season two, though to a lesser degree, had I not gone looking for the books after the season 1 finale.

As it is, I've watched two episodes of season two and, having read the books and seen the numerous discrepancies (in tone, even), I really don't feel like going on.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    I agree. The books do spoil you, even when it is well done. My only critique of season 1 was they couldn't fit in everything-- for instance, I'm not sure all the TV-only-watchers caught the full depth of the relationship between Daenerys and Drogo. But, I can't be too hard on them... they had limited time and resources, etc. After watching the episode tonight with a friend who hasn't read the books yet, I realized they haven't really gone into much detail of Lord of Light religion. It's hard to catch what they miss when I haven't read in a while. I bet that can be kinda confusing for non-book readers too. But still... they're doing a good job, considering how complex the book is. I liked how they interpreted the scene of Davos and Melisandre breaking to Storm's End. I bet that could have been something that could be lost in the shuffle... in terms of importance/symbolism, etc., etc.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

Enneagram
    8w9

I'm a huge Game of Thrones fan, loved the books, and am greatly enjoying the show, but I have to say when it comes to HBO original series', I'm way more excited about The Newsroom by Aaron Sorkin.

Here is the trailer (I'll bet you love it):

[YOUTUBE="wC8ovJYAU3U"]The Newsroom[/YOUTUBE]
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm a huge Game of Thrones fan, loved the books, and am greatly enjoying the show, but I have to say when it comes to HBO original series', I'm way more excited about The Newsroom by Aaron Sorkin.

Here is the trailer (I'll bet you love it):
    It depends how Sorkin-y that show is. He can get a little indulgent.

Much more psyched about Veep (premiered last night) from the creator of In the Loop and The Thick of It, two of the funniest comedies I've ever seen.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    It depends how Sorkin-y that show is. He can get a little indulgent.
    I'll certainly give you that.

Sorkin definitely has a penchant for indulgence, but the issue addressed in the show, the role of news media in the national political conversation, and the extent to which news anchors only cover "approved stories" and keep their personal convictions out of the equation I find very provocative.

The instant, Jeff Daniels lit into that audience member asking about American exceptionalism, I was hooked.

It's exactly that kind of honest conversation that we as a country need to have, and that would help to alleviate some of the problems endemic to our political system.

If more anchors had the balls to discuss the real issues, and cut through all the other BS, I would have far more trust in our ability to move past our current political intransigence.

EDIT - Veep did seem pretty funny from what I saw of it. (I just find that the issues that the Newsroom will hopefully deal with, are important beyond merely being entertaining. And this is one of the first times I've seen it dealt with in a medium that gets out to millions)
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so