• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I wish the show would concentrate on fewer story lines and develop them in greater detail.

The problem is that they're using a template that has that many storylines in it and know each one is going to have some importance to the overall plot. The other problem is either lack of time or inability to write effectivrly/efficeintly or a mixture of the two, depending on who you ask.

Based on my feelings of the first and second season (I preferred the first) and the fact that the Blackwater episode probably covered the fewest pages of any other hour, I lean towards the time issue a bit. If that's the key problem, and they split up book 3, season 3 should be back on track (or better than ever, since they'll be using the best source material yet), though only time will tell.

Of course, even though I thought the second season weaker than the first, I still like the show more than Nico and Saturned, so make of that what you will.

I will note, however, I have seen shows with a comparable amount of characters/storylines manage to juggle them all and keep every character, even minor ones, very real (specifically thinking of The Wire, but that show is superior to pretty much every show, including this one, so I don't expect that level of quality from pretty much anything).

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
i admit that
at the end got me all choked up.
what a great character.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't have HBO, but I've been reading the reviews of the latest episodes on the AV club. I don't care about spoilers, since I'm nearing the end of the fifth book. I started reading all the books and finishing them as quickly as possible partially because I was tired of getting spoiled.

Regarding Ser Barristan, the main difference in the book is that

I also hear they are including the Theon storyline, which sounds interesting.

Both of these spoilers are, by the way, very minor, book-only spoilers. They don't really reveal anything that isn't in the TV series, but I'm just being cautious.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It was really interesting to see Theon in the last episode. It does make sense to throw it in now rather than holding out for later - not really possible to do the surprise reveal that the book did since we would recognize the actor, plus IIRC the books told his (upcoming) story mainly through flashbacks.

One small detail that surprised me in this episode was that

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
read about that, too, Randomnity. That seems a little puzzling, too, but because the order of things has been moved around a bit, I'm not sure that matters so much.

Minor, book only spoilers.

Big spoilers

It's interesting to contrast Martin's world from Rowling's, as I remarked in another thread. Rowling writes a lot about the value of love, and that's a constant theme in her books. In contrast, love seems to motivate Martin's characters to behave recklessly. The best example of this, I think, is Catelyn Stark.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*gasps with excitement*
Tonight the Game of Thrones series will finally premiere on HBO! Is anyone else as excited as me?
(As an aside, if you haven't read the fantasy series that it is based off of.... you really should give them a whirl. I am 34% convinced that he will finish the series before he dies. I also am pegging him as an INTP... if anyone else has an opinion on that score.)

I think he's ENTP, but I could also see INTP or INFJ. for his enneagram, 9w1 or 5w? Sp/So

Nicodemus

OMG, someone please tell me what's going on with Theon's plot. I AM CONFUSED.
It is written in Alfie Allen's contract that he may appear bare-chested in at least one episode in any season. So they gave us a glimpse into what should have been revealed two books/seasons later.

In other words: You are not supposed to know what is going on with him. I hope they will abandon his story line for the time being.

Nicodemus

Having seen the last episode, I changed my mind.

Should only be read if you already know what happens to Theon in the books.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

For anyone who has read the whole series, does anyone think Jon Snow might be an ENTJ? The last chapter in Dance is the one thing that casts doubt on this theory. Book five spoilers below. (Big ones)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

And I do not think Jon Snow is anywhere near an ENTJ as portrayed in the tv series. He's way more of a wuss in the tv series than in the book though - I'd have to re-read the books to guess at his type.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
this last episode was a real chatty cathy. they are very much combining characters this season with gendry/edric storm and strong belwas/barristan selmy. i suppose i'm ok with it.