User Tag List

First 816171819202868118 Last

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Alright, that is insanely charming.
    Yeah, I think I have to kill Joseph Kony now.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    so... is Joffrey ever given a more interesting spin other then pure teenage power drunken malice?
    Um....

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    @Saturned [I can't write on your wall]
    I sort of like Cersei too, to be honest. Again, she knows what's going on and the image of the Lioness fiercly guarding her cubs is apt. Her only real fault is that she's so externally focused she can't see Joffrey for what he is, and the stress of managing and guarding takes its toll on her as she becomes extremely paranoid and vindictive as things start to fall apart. She is always most likable when talking about Jamie and when she shows a little emotional openness.
    I can see that view after book 1.

Keep reading your opinion might change.

I like Tyrian's assessment of cersie in book 5.

“Cersei is as gentle as King Maegor [the Cruel], as selfless as Aegon the Unworthy, as wise as Mad Aerys. She never forgets a slight, real or imagined. She takes caution for cowardice and dissent for defiance. And she is greedy. Greedy for power, for honor, for love.”
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Has everyone seen the SNES parody? Season 1 plot stuff only:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hftnySHVnF0&feature=fvwrel"]SNES Game of Thrones[/YOUTUBE]

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    so... is Joffrey ever given a more interesting spin other then pure teenage power drunken malice?
    Sort of. The TV show has softened Cersei a fair amount compared to the books. I always felt that Joffrey never stood a chance at being a normal kid. Yeah, he's a little shit, but considering his upbringing there was little way he'd be anything else. Also, as a 13 year old kid he isn't quite as bad in the books. For instance, it was Cersei that killed off Robert's bastards in the books.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Sort of. The TV show has softened Cersei a fair amount compared to the books. I always felt that Joffrey never stood a chance at being a normal kid. Yeah, he's a little shit, but considering his upbringing there was little way he'd be anything else. Also, as a 13 year old kid he isn't quite as bad in the books. For instance, it was Cersei that killed off Robert's bastards in the books.
    It's pretty clear to me that Joffrey isn't just a kid who has way too much power (he certainly is, and his age may contribute to his inability to think pragmatically while ruling or his bucking the advice of others), but even stories from his childhood are cruel (and his brother and sister are not like that at all). Joffrey is just naturally sadistic and unfeeling as a person. Personally, I'm not bothered by this. Joffrey can be just awful because he's A) not a central character and B) why can't sociopathic, virtually all bad people exist in fiction without being called unrealistic or cheap? They exist in real life, and which is quite a bit more complex than even a very complex fantasy
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Enneagram
    8w9

Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

I don't have much to comment on now, but I wanted to subscribe to this thread and say I've been pretty much obsessed with this series since I was introduced two years ago. <3

I haven't been able to read anything else after starting these books... everything else (fantasy related at least) seems cheesy and lackluster.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

Quote Originally Posted by StephMC View Post
    I don't have much to comment on now, but I wanted to subscribe to this thread and say I've been pretty much obsessed with this series since I was introduced two years ago. <3

I haven't been able to read anything else after starting these books... everything else (fantasy related at least) seems cheesy and lackluster.
    I'm starting on them myself.

You might like Dune. From what I can tell, it's a similar mix of action and political manuevering. I haven't been able to get into many sci-fi novels, but it's great. Fantasy is usually cooler to me, but there's a lot I haven't come around to yet.

Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by StephMC View Post
    I've had the exact same experience.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

It is kind of corny, but I do like the more visceral depictions in fantasy. I wished I lived in "simpler times". Places where you can make your way in the world just "adventuring", not without dealing with "paperwork" and other modern bullshit. Places where you could solved disputes by chopping off heads. We all live in a cage really. There aren't many options to get your kicks, like people in fantasy novels do.