Page 162 of 192 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172 ... LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 1914

Thread: Game of Thrones!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    It's simple. Sex is allowed, love is not. One is stress relief, the other is a prolonged distraction from your duty (and often, competing duties).

In the rulebook, it's outlined that one must practice celibacy but I'm sure the Brotherhood looks the other way when it comes to 'natural urges', just not the romantic BS.
    Pretty much that, I think. Acting on primal urges is fine, forming a deeper connection isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    I like like stannis.

Like is not the word, I wanted him to win. That's it.

I still admire him.

I feel sorry for his downfall.
    I never cared for his habit of being a-ok with the burning of unbelievers. I liked Balon Greyjoy better than that prick who couldn't get over his sibling rivalry issues. If he would have cooperated with his brother, the Lannisters would have been defeated and a lot more people would be alive.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.
    Likes Totenkindly, Ivy liked this post

respect the brick Array C.J.Woolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    Has anyone noticed that the ethos of the Night's Watch towards women is a little weird? You can sleep with the prostitutes in Mole's Town, and nobody cares, but if you have a committed relationship with a wilding, you're beyond the pale.

Very odd, inconsistent, nonsensical rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    It's simple. Sex is allowed, love is not. One is stress relief, the other is a prolonged distraction from your duty (and often, competing duties).

In the rulebook, it's outlined that one must practice celibacy but I'm sure the Brotherhood looks the other way when it comes to 'natural urges', just not the romantic BS.
    Perhaps most important, the vow of celibacy doesn't allow (acknowledged) fatherhood. When a man takes the black, he leaves his family and the Night's Watch becomes his family. Also, it would be politically dangerous to allow highborn brothers to father children and complicate matters down south.

I think it's interesting that Martin created a group that is a cross between the Knights Templar and a Soviet penal battalion.

respect the brick Array C.J.Woolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    "You really think having a crown gives you power? " -- Tywin Lannister.

The Baratheons are all traitorous usurpers. Purge them with fire and blood.
    Every dynasty begins with a usurper. The successful ones are strong to enough to make people accept them as kings.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    Every dynasty begins with a usurper. The successful ones are strong to enough to make people accept them as kings.
    Good point.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    INTP

Heh. The popularity of the show has convinced me to start reading the books before the series is finished-I was hesitant to potentially go through another Wheel of Time experience (which thankfully had a happy ending thanks to Brandon Sanderson's efforts and Robert Jordan's thorough notes), but I finally figured I would no longer be able to avoid spoilers if I put it off any longer.

I'm almost done with the second book, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.....and going thru the TV Tropes page after I finish reading the series up to this point should be interesting (the 'Author Appeal' section must be paragraphs long).

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, shouldn't have whelped a shadow baby to murder his brother.
    That was the beginning of the end.
    Actually that was probably one of the best moves he did. He was about to get sieged on by renly if he didn't do it. Rather than that happening he didn't get sieged on and he even got Renly's army. Hardly the beginning of the end.

Also, long live stannis

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Man, u jest b a stannis tool.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Man, u jest b a stannis tool.
    Stannis was so damned stupid. In the books he was good at millitary strategy, but he had no diplomatic sense, there, either. He could have allied with his brother and Robb, but instead he had to get all pissy about how the Iron Throne was his and his alone. I've seen that kind of short-sightedness blow up in people's faces before.

Pissing on potential allies repeatedly for no tactical advantage is no way to win a fight.
    Likes JocktheMotie liked this post

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, one could at least say that anything that happened to Stannis was Stannis' own fault. He lost by his own hand, rather than for ever kowtowing to anyone else.

if that means anything.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Well, one could at least say that anything that happened to Stannis was Stannis' own fault. He lost by his own hand, rather than for ever kowtowing to anyone else.

if that means anything.
    It doesn't matter. He lost. There's no shame in working together for something.