User Tag List

First 614151617182666116 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Great episode.

I'm looking forward to see how this actress handles Theon's sister.
    Yeah, that's gonna be a problem when I'm discussing the show with friends who haven't read the books, cause I'm gonna keep calling her Asha.

VERY, VERY MINOR SPOILERS FOR BOOK 2 AND 3

Does he want a pillow for his head?

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Yeah, that's gonna be a problem when I'm discussing the show with friends who haven't read the books, cause I'm gonna keep calling her Asha.

yeah that was such a dumb change. i have been trying to strangle my inner fangirl purist but that just annoyed me.

also book 5 spoiler

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post

yeah that was such a dumb change. i have been trying to strangle my inner fangirl purist but that just annoyed me.

also book 5 spoiler

MBTI
    INTP

It is funny reading this thread, so many spoiler buttons. I wish I could get into these books, I could use a new series. Just too depressing. I read first book but now I just want to know synopsis, not suffer along with them.
    "It's never enough." The Cure

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I may be in the minority, but I find the Lannisters one of the more likable factions solely due to their realistic worldview. They are not deluded, know how to play the game, and are fantastically ruthless. I really enjoyed book 2 as Tyrion really got to shine and owned it, it's sort of bittersweet how it ended for him.

I like how it really cast aside the idea of virtue, of "True Knights" and their worthless vows, and just the general fluid landscape of loyalty as power shifted throughout the realm. I particularly loved Catelyn and Jamie's conversation near the end of the book. Jamie is unapologetic, honest about his intentions, a clear conscience in regard to his actions, and why not? He understands perfectly.

Otherwise, I found book two a little dull, with odd pacing, and mainly just setup. Some spoilers ahead.

Society

3rd episode is apparently out on the HBO thing - all we need now is to wait for a good pirate to leak it... anyone? please?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

@Saturned [I can't write on your wall]
    I sort of like Cersei too, to be honest. Again, she knows what's going on and the image of the Lioness fiercly guarding her cubs is apt. Her only real fault is that she's so externally focused she can't see Joffrey for what he is, and the stress of managing and guarding takes its toll on her as she becomes extremely paranoid and vindictive as things start to fall apart. She is always most likable when talking about Jamie and when she shows a little emotional openness.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    @Saturned [I can't write on your wall]
    I sort of like Cersei too, to be honest. Again, she knows what's going on and the image of the Lioness fiercly guarding her cubs is apt. Her only real fault is that she's so externally focused she can't see Joffrey for what he is, and the stress of managing and guarding takes its toll on her as she becomes extremely paranoid and vindictive as things start to fall apart. She is always most likable when talking about Jamie and when she shows a little emotional openness.
    I see your point. I guess she just aggravates me because of how unselfaware she is about things that I want to smack her.

I eagerly await your POV update after finishing through the books.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I may be in the minority, but I find the Lannisters one of the more likable factions solely due to their realistic worldview. They are not deluded, know how to play the game, and are fantastically ruthless. I really enjoyed book 2 as Tyrion really got to shine and owned it, it's sort of bittersweet how it ended for him.
    If you watch the Season 1 DVD commentaries, you hear from the directors and writers that they frequently repeated the mantra "No Villains" to themselves, apparently. The idea being that even those who are perceived as the blackest and most vile of characters are still written with scenes that may show even the faintest bit of humanity to them. That they didn't want any caricatures of some kind of comic-book villain in the show; they wanted real people who may make decisions that can be perceived as evil, but they're still human and real. I think it's interesting to look at characters with that in mind. "No Villains"

Also, in reply to your Book 2 spoilers:

Random Season 1 tidbit: All of the actors repeatedly laughed about how different the actor who plays Joffrey is from his character. They were stressing how he's one of the most kind/considerate people on the set and he was always sweet to everyone. Also, Khal Drogo is apparently a teddy bear IRL. Cersei's actress swears like a sailor and is hilarious.

Also, at one point Arya, Sansa, and Bran are doing a commentary together and start goofing off during the intro. This made me smile so much:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t92ukx0A2fk"]Arya/Sansa/Bran[/YOUTUBE]
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Don't forget about the Simpsons parody!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUGzIfDRrLs"]Game of Simpsons[/YOUTUBE]

Oh, and I enjoy what Martin does with the Lannisters as well. I think there's too much Cersei in book 4, but it's very possible the real problem was not enough of other characters.