User Tag List

First 4393133141142143144145153193 Last

Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Tyrion sent Myrcella to Dorne in Season 2 while he was acting Hand of the King... for reasons I can't exactly remember.
    IIRC Tyrion said to different people (varus, little finger, pycelle) that he was sending one of Cersei's children to different places to see who was informing for Cersei. Turned out only pycelle was dumb enough to tell the queen, and so Tyrion did what Pycelle told Cersei, which is sending Myrcella to Dorne.
    Likes Totenkindly, Udog liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Rewatching Season 1, now that I know who everyone is and much of the plot.

Episode 2: Jaime tells Tyrion that Bran would be better off being dead rather than a grotesque monster (aka paralyzed). "I couldn't settle for that, give me a good clean death any day." [Irony]

Jon gives Arya "Needle." It's why she can't part with it easily, seasons later.

I had forgotten how strong Cat was. "I can't do this," she tells Ned. "Not again." He tells her she can. And she does... to the bitter end.

Sansa lies because she can't choose whether to support her sister or Joffrey. Thus starts the abuse of Sansa, this first time at Cersei's hands -- her dog Lady is killed in lieu of Arya's. Sansa's been at the receiving end of unfairness ever since, although originally she wanted Joffrey's attention and essentially sold out her sister, which resulted in herself being punished.

Robert doesn't seem to like his kids much. (And he asks Joffrey in disdain if he let a little girl disarm him.) He doesn't seem to like Cersei much either. It was all political, obviously (since his heart was with Lyanna). He's like the corporate exec in the 50's who just has the home and kids as part of the successful image but would much rather just always be out working or drinking/partying.

Cersei also talks about a valid heir of Robert's, who died as a baby from sickness -- I had forgotten about that.

Episode 3: Interesting exchange between Jorah and one of the horse riders -- they're discussing armor, and Jorah admits that plate/metal keeps you alive, but it does slow you down. the rider says that less armor means you move more quickly. That's pretty much a description of the Mountain/Viper fight seasons later.

Cersei instructs Joffrey on broader strategy -- it seems like she's forgotten a bit since. But he does say, "So this mean the Starks ARE the enemy?" and she says, "Our enemy is anyone who is not us [Lannisters, in her mind]." That's pretty much always been her modus operandi.

Arya is a leftie. Her trainer is a righty. He also keeps calling her "boy" and finally when she insists she's a "girl," he says, "Boy? Girl? What's it matter? You are a sword." This kind of foreshadows her relinquishing her identity later and becoming a sword very much so... or at least a bringer of death.

Episode 4: When Sam shows up, he is beaten mercilessly and has to be protected by Jon (and eventually the other guys). he says he'll never be any good at defending himself but he's very much a whiner and useless. a contrast to the very last episode, when he's alone and stands up to two guys who also beat him up badly because he still sucks at fighting... but he doesn't back down.

Many clues before Episode 6 that Vanerys is not the dragon, such as when the handmaiden spills wax on him and he says ouch. Heat bothers him. Daenerys already has figured out that Vanerys can never command an army and will never get her "home."

The handmaiden says she has seen many things, including a "man who could change his face."

The guy who Jon executes at the Wall this season is still head of the guard at this point.

Oh, and really interesting -- Theon was ALWAYS a thrall. he's like the little bitchy patsy throughout season 1. "Oh, Lord Stark won't like that" blah blah blah. Seriously, he's running around just being a mouthpiece for whoever is in charge at Stark Central, based on his understanding of the rules. The only difference between old Theon and Reek is that Ramsay felt the need to completely break Theon versus letting him choose thralldom. But it's not like Theon was very independent or self-directed before that.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 05-26-2015 at 12:15 PM.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    It's kept vague on purpose - partly to mask plot holes created when characters move around. (I believe it takes something like a month to travel from Winterfell to King's Landing via the King's Road, for example.) Tyrion sent Myrcella to Dorne in Season 2 while he was acting Hand of the King... for reasons I can't exactly remember. So this episode has basically established that on the TV show, around 3 years have passed since the middle of season 2.
    I thought it was to secure an alliance with Dorne (and get resources), through marriage, and the reasoning Tyrion also gave Cersei was that it would also keep her safe, and away, from the impending war. Given that Stannis was on the loose and doing his rebellion thing.
    Likes Totenkindly, Udog liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Swivelinglight View Post
    IIRC Tyrion said to different people (varus, little finger, pycelle) that he was sending one of Cersei's children to different places to see who was informing for Cersei. Turned out only pycelle was dumb enough to tell the queen, and so Tyrion did what Pycelle told Cersei, which is sending Myrcella to Dorne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    I thought it was to secure an alliance with Dorne (and get resources), through marriage, and the reasoning Tyrion also gave Cersei was that it would also keep her safe, and away, from the impending war. Given that Stannis was on the loose and doing his rebellion thing.
    Yeah, it was kind of all that... and it also said a lot about Tyrion, because little girls are treated like chattel and objects to be sold off for the most profitable arrangement, and meanwhile Tyrion sent his niece to a place where they respect their women. (Doran refuses to use Myrcella as a way to punish King's Landing.) Sure, he knew it would hurt Cersei, but it was also in Myrcella's best interests.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Udog liked this post

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Ah, that makes sense. Typical Tyrion - killing several little birds with one stone.

Book spoilers (related to characters show watchers haven't been introduced to yet):

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Potential Season 6 Show spoilers, based on current casting calls:
    Casting News Reveals 5 Major Spoilers For 'Game Of Thrones' Season 6

(I find the first one the most interesting, since we've had arguments here about some particular events already occurring in the show... I also only see the first one as maybe a "major spoiler".)

EDIT: Udog thought some of the stuff was more "spoilery" than I did, so I will note that here. Read at your own peril, I guess.

---

Speculations about Littlefinger
    Just what the heck is Game of Thrones' Littlefinger up to anyway? - Vox

According to comments, he was more carefully manipulative in the book plot. I do think that, at least on the TV show, he comes across as being more about "create chaos for major players, slowly weeding them out, until the dust settles and the survivors are a small enough pool to be manipulated easily."
    Last edited by Bellflower; 05-28-2015 at 12:40 PM.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Doktorin Zylinder View Post
    Did anyone see this?
    Finally watched it... hilarious. I loved how they got much of the cast involved, and if you know the show some of the interplay was really really funny.

Favorite bit:

10 things we learnt about Ramsay Snow actor Iwan Rheon - Telegraph

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

The lady says Rheon was really good in a British show called Misfits. She's kind of an anglophile... she's very into Dr. Who. (2/3 of the woman I've been with have been Dr. Who fans.) I asked her if the actor was Welsh (the name is very unusual), and she said she didn't know. Wikipedia confirms that he is Welsh.

Here are the full lyrics of the song that Bronn was singing:
    Code:
    The Dornishman's wife was as fair as the sun,

and her kisses were warmer than spring.

But the Dornishman's blade was made of black steel,

and its kiss was a terrible thing.

The Dornishman's wife would sing as she bathed,

in a voice that was sweet as a peach,

But the Dornishman's blade had a song of its own,

and a bite sharp and cold as a leech.

As he lay on the ground with the darkness around,

and the taste of his blood on his tongue,

His brothers knelt by him and prayed him a prayer,

and he smiled and he laughed and he sung,

"Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done,

the Dornishman's taken my life,

But what does it matter, for all men must die,

and I've tasted the Dornishman's wife!"
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore

Visit my Johari: http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah, Iwan is Welsh.

I actually watched part of this three-episode season of "Residue" on Netflix last night, and he's in that. (The most disturbing element is watching him mess around with Tonks/Osha... I keep expecting him to pop up with a crazy look on his face and torture her.) Seriously, for American audiences, he might have the same issue Ted Levine had after playing Jame Gumb in tSotL... gaaa.... hard to trust him.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

OMG. That (episode 8) might be the best episode all season. Usually each episode has a high moment and then some sucky stuff, and I'm having trouble recalling anything sucky. Just when you think something is the high point, the next scene takes its place.

And I really, really like how they gave that last 15 minutes or so time to breathe -- they left space to linger on stuff. It just deepened the ambiance and horror of everything. Just kind of blown away.

Questions/comments about the episode:

Likes Ivy liked this post

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :newwink:
  • :wink: