Thread: Game of Thrones!

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Or.. Arya was withholding the gift of death, because he was on her shit list.
    Yes, but denying the gift so she could better extract vengeance would surely be against a Faceless Assassin's code, wouldn't it?

...Maybe not, I'm not entirely clear what is and isn't acceptable reasons for the Faceless to kill.

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Along similar lines, I love the scene when the High Septon comes before the Small Council and all the bleating of the folks there. Grand Maester Pycelle's response is classic. Buffoons and hypocrites, all of them, except for Qyburn.
    I've always hated Pycelle, just not quite as much as I hate Cersie.

I realized recently that Varys gave good advice to the mad king about not trusting the Lannisters, but it was Pycelle who said to let them in... and then they took the city. [Did I pick that up correctly?] Pycelle is just full of himself and a doddering old man, his advice almost always ends up being lousy.

I'm not sure, but it was an excellent scene. I liked it in the books, too. Janos Slynt was loathsome; he talked a big game, but was merely a coward and a backstabber. When the chips were down, and things were at the darkest, he's the kind of person that would do nothing except run and hide. I don't find that to be loathsome in and of itself (it's understandable), but what I dislike it is that he puffs himself and paints himself as some kind of strong warrior for the Night's Watch. He's dishonest and utterly full of shit about everything.

If it were me, I don't know if I would have given him mercy or not, but I don't miss the character.
    I don't either. The only thing that gave me doubt in the TV version is that the very last admission by his character -- that he was scared and had always been a coward -- was a huge revelation, either in that he had just figured it out or was finally letting everyone else know and being honest. Not that it excuses his prior actions, but it's one of the catalyst moments in a person life... so Jon could decide whether to give him a shot to rise from the ashes or just end it regardless, and made his decision. Without that moment, I wouldn't have had any doubt about what he deserved.

I think I'm inclined to think that this isn't what happened. I think she took him off her list. There was that scene when he offered to take care of his wounds. She could have helped Brienne kill the hound, too, if that was what she wanted.
    I have no idea which it was -- either he was now off her list, or she was punishing him worse.
    But I think that ambiguity is why the scene was so beautiful. We just don't know. Maybe she doesn't either.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

SOme guy's opinion:
    It's Becoming Clear 'Game of Thrones' Will End At Season Seven - Forbes

I guess book readers might know better than show-only watchers would.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Lots of comments about Rhaegar in tonight's episode.

^ did you catch a glimpse of the preview for the next episode? It seems very revealing about the fate of Barrister Selmy.

The Sand Snakes seem kind of gimmicky and trying to be badass. I don't know if I'll enjoy that story arc. Only redeeming thing will be the Jaime & Bronn interaction.

Finally, we see some humanity in Stannis. He reminded me of an armadillo, but it was good to see under the armour, that he cares for something/someone beyond "rightfully securing his place on the throne".

Will be interesting to see what Littlefinger will get up to, once he returns to King's Landing/responds to Cersei.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    ^ did you catch a glimpse of the preview for the next episode? It seems very revealing about the fate of Barrister Selmy.
    I heard about it from someone else who saw the preview.

The Sand Snakes seem kind of gimmicky and trying to be badass. I don't know if I'll enjoy that story arc. Only redeeming thing will be the Jaime & Bronn interaction.
    I'm hoping Jaime accepts he can never be the Jaime he was -- he'll never be the "best swordsman in the land" again -- yet after his minor victory here realizes that he might be able to take advantage of something he has long thought was a hindrance. Talk about Gadget Grip. What else could he do with that thing, if he just went with it?

Oh, the one thing I forgot to mention: Jaime's comments about Tyrion. Yeah, apparently the end of Season 4 might have caused some damage, but from Jaime's end instead of Tyrion's (as I think in the book it was Tyrion who was pissed off at Jaime due to the revelations about the first woman he was with?)

EDIT:

Interview with Carice Van Houten (Melisandre)
    http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...ame-of-thrones

HopelessSituationWarrior Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp

Will be interesting to see what Littlefinger will get up to, once he returns to King's Landing/responds to Cersei.
    What I hope happens is that Sansa turns the tables on Littlefinger at one point. She seems to be a weakness of his. He's telling her all her secrets, and it doesn't seem to occur to him that one day, he might turn on her.

Barristan's death was also a shock, and upset me somewhat. He's not dead in the books. Now Danerys is growing increasingly isolated... she's losing trustworthy advisers and mentor figures right and left.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.
    Likes Ivy liked this post

Default Beware! Complete fangirling about Jaime/Brienne ahead!!

Speculation #39830483030843

In this last episode, Bronn and Jaime had an interesting conversation, about the "best way to die", which mirrors an earlier conversation Tyrion had with ..... (I forget who). Anyway, Jaime's reply is, "In the arms of the woman I love." To which Bronn questions, "Does she feel the same?" (or something to that effect/same sentiment).

The line definitely is an attempt to question Cersei's love for Jaime (not just for Jaime to self-reflect on that, but the audience).

In such a tightly packed show, with 10 episodes each season to achieve a hell of a lot, I an reluctant to assume that anything is a space-filler/throw-away. My default is to assume that anything mentioned has a purpose to drive the story forward/a foreshadowing.

I think Jaime's "wish" will come true, but probably not in the way he or the audience anticipates. I think he might kill Cersei, in a double murder-suicide scenario (don't know what will drive him to that, but seems fitting for the end of those twins). But, it will be at a time when his affections would have shifted to someone else (for him to be able to do that act). That someone else, I think, will be Brienne. Who will come in time, but just too late, to watch him die after he kills his sister. So he will die in the arms of the woman he loves, but I don't think it's the one he has in mind, currently.

/fanning ova

What I hope happens is that Sansa turns the tables on Littlefinger at one point. She seems to be a weakness of his. He's telling her all her secrets, and it doesn't seem to occur to him that one day, he might turn on her.
    Do you mean, when she turns on him, one day? Yeah, I can see that playing out. Betrayed again by another Tully/Stark woman. First Catelyn, then the daughter who is most like her.

Do you think Littlefinger had a role in orchestrating the Red Wedding? Or, peripherally nudging the pieces/pawns on the board towards that direction? After being shunned by Catelyn in Renly's camp (I think?)?

Barrister Selmy:

HopelessSituationWarrior Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp

Speculation #39830483030843

In this last episode, Bronn and Jaime had an interesting conversation, about the "best way to die", which mirrors an earlier conversation Tyrion had with ..... (I forget who). Anyway, Jaime's reply is, "In the arms of the woman I love." To which Bronn questions, "Does she feel the same?" (or something to that effect/same sentiment).

The line definitely is an attempt to question Cersei's love for Jaime (not just for Jaime to self-reflect on that, but the audience).

In such a tightly packed show, with 10 episodes each season to achieve a hell of a lot, I an reluctant to assume that anything is a space-filler/throw-away. My default is to assume that anything mentioned has a purpose to drive the story forward/a foreshadowing.

I think Jaime's "wish" will come true, but probably not in the way he or the audience anticipates. I think he might kill Cersei, in a double murder-suicide scenario (don't know what will drive him to that, but seems fitting for the end of those twins). But, it will be at a time when his affections would have shifted to someone else (for him to be able to do that act). That someone else, I think, will be Brienne. Who will come in time, but just too late, to watch him die after he kills his sister. So he will die in the arms of the woman he loves, but I don't think it's the one he has in mind, currently.

/fanning ova
    These aren't spoilers, because the book hasn't reached that point yet, but I think Jaime will be responsible in some way for Cersei's death. The Lannisters will ultimately have proven to be their own worst enemies due to Tywin's shitty parenting, which would be deliciously ironic. Out of all of them, Tyrion has the best the shot at making it to the endgame.

Regarding Cersei's devotion to Jaime, remember her fling with Lancel in Season 2?
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.

These aren't spoilers, because the book hasn't reached that point yet, but I think Jaime will be responsible in some way for Cersei's death. The Lannisters will ultimately have proven to be their own worst enemies due to Tywin's shitty parenting, which would be deliciously ironic. Out of all of them, Tyrion has the best the shot at making it to the endgame.
    I don't read the books but in the books, do Jaime and Brienne fall in love? Or move towards that direction?

I think I asked this a long time ago, and @Udog helpfully gave some answers, but apparently Brienne betrays Jaime to save Pod but, it doesn't matter as the show has completely taken out that story. I don't remember what he might have said about their growing affection (if any) that might have occured in the books!

I don't much care for what happens in the books, as I know I will never get around to reading it, and I quite enjoy the unspoiled perspective being a show-watcher only affords me, rather than trying to see what stayed the same/went different in the show vs the book. Comparing. Etc.

So, I am very hesitant to ask for spoilers from the book, but for Jaime/Brienne, I'll break that rule.

Regarding Cersei's devotion to Jaime, remember her fling with Lancel in Season 2?
    LOL, is Lancel the cousin Lannister that she was screwing, who Tyrion manipulated and kicked out of the carriage once? The newly turned member of the Sparrow Society? I think he's going to fuck with Cersei (and not in the way he had previously), in the coming episodes. The Manson carving on the forehead was the first sign....

I can't wait!!! He finally got some chutzpah, even if it is the fanatical, brainwashed variety.