Regarding Arya

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Can you please mark which stuff is spoilering stuff from the books that a show watcher wouldn't be current on? The assumption in the thread has been that if you are current with the show, then you can read spoilers, and the book readers haven't been spoiler stuff for the show watchers. (At least not without being explicit that that's what they're doing )
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

respect the brick Array C.J.Woolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    Regarding Arya

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default !

I always liked watching training scenes, and I enjoyed the scenes with Arya tonight. What do people make of the House of Black and White? I don't trust them. They said that they looked at death as a gift. I'm not really on board with that. Good for her for hiding Needle, though.

There's also an interesting parallel in my mind with the Sparrow movement. The High Sparrow (played by Jonathon Pryce!) said that people liked listening to them because he told them that "no one is special." Isn't this similar in a way to the insistence of the House of Black and White that Arya become no one?
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.

And, after this recent episode, Brienne might be meeting Stannis soon, as well. That will be interesting to see, how that plays out. Stannis is coming to overthrown Bolton, which can help Sansa, which is Brienne's quest, but how will she navigate that choice? Stannis who can aid her in her quest to free Sansa from the Boltons versus avenging Renly's death by killing Stannis?

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I always liked watching training scenes, and I enjoyed the scenes with Arya tonight. What do people make of the House of Black and White? I don't trust them. They said that they looked at death as a gift. I'm not really on board with that. Good for her for hiding Needle, though.

There's also an interesting parallel in my mind with the Sparrow movement. The High Sparrow (played by Jonathon Pryce!) said that people liked listening to them because he told them that "no one is special." Isn't this similar in a way to the insistence of the House of Black and White that Arya become no one?
    I don't trust them either. It's GoT. And they're a mysterious entity. But, I think in terms of the spectrum of good and evil, they might end up being an evil that I'm rooting for, all else considered. Interesting analogy regarding the Sparrows and the Faceless Men.

This recent episode, Arya asked Jaqen, "Why is this called God of Many Faces? I see...[names off the gods there]..." I think there is something to that, to Arya's question left unanswered, and the amount of time (screentime) her and the other girl spent cleaning the body of the dead man, and Arya asking, "What do we do with him after we've cleaned him?" Obviously, the Faceless Men take on many faces, do they take on faces/identity of people who have died?

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Curse those showrunners... I actually felt sympathy for Cersie last night. Curse you, Benioff and Weiss!
    Just leave me my hatred for Ramsey Bolton.
    Don't take that away from me.
    I need to somebody to love [to hate].

And, oh look, Jorah obsessing over cosplay Khaleesi's, so he ends up indulging in a futile and stupid gesture that was also absolutely unnecessary... If this was an Internet stalking, this is the moment when he stops obsessing over the queen's MySpace account and shows up on her doorstep unshaven, smelling like Listerine, and bearing awkward gifts.

Gosh, I didn't know that Thommen had it in him.

Best line of the night (rather risque):

Tyrion is still affected by what happened last season with Shae. That was a nice touch.

I have very much enjoyed the Varys/Tryion road trip: Two of the most articulate, intelligent, and whimsical characters on the show, forced into a cramped little room with wheels, with nothing better to do but drink and banter.

Damn those "Lord of Lights" cultists. They're like termites; they get into everything and eat it away from the inside.

Hooray for Brienne -- great backstory, and she eased up on Podrick and actually is taking responsibility for his growth. But finally we also got a clear sense of her "new direction." This ought to be good... unless you're GRRM, so she'll probably get tetanus from a rusty nail and die out in the woods somewhere before even coming close to succeeding.

Did I see the Mountain shake?

Poor Sansa. Damn Littlefinger.
    I got a little choked up, though, when she was brought to her room. Nice.

Jon Snow finds himself in a predicament like Daenerys and Robb before him. Does it turn out the same? I had no idea what he would do, honestly. Or even what he should do.

It also looks like Arya still has some depth. What a terrible choice to have to make, and I understand why she settled on what she did. But either you're somebody or you're nobody, and you either cleanse yourself to become the blank slate or you remain yourself. I wonder if that will come back to haunt her, or whether it's allowable.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Osprey, Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I hadn't picked up on this before, but it's actually pretty neat to introduce the House of Black and White right after Arya refused to kill a suffering and dying Hound. Arya probably doesn't buy into the whole "death is a gift" idea, either.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    I hadn't picked up on this before, but it's actually pretty neat to introduce the House of Black and White right after Arya refused to kill a suffering and dying Hound. Arya probably doesn't buy into the whole "death is a gift" idea, either.
    Or.. Arya was withholding the gift of death, because he was on her shit list.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    Curse those showrunners... I actually felt sympathy for Cersie last night. Curse you, Benioff and Weiss!
    Just leave me my hatred for Ramsey Bolton.
    Don't take that away from me.
    He's the most loathsome person in the whole series, and he's more loathsome in the books.
    And, oh look, Jorah obsessing over cosplay Khaleesi's, so he ends up indulging in a futile and stupid gesture that was also absolutely unnecessary... If this was an Internet stalking, this is the moment when he stops obsessing over the queen's MySpace account and shows up on her doorstep unshaven, smelling like Listerine, and bearing awkward gifts.
    Yes... in the books there's a lot of lecturing about what he did to his dad, because he feels guilty about what happened with his dad (the old Lord Commander of the Night's Watch).

Along similar lines, I love the scene when the High Septon comes before the Small Council and all the bleating of the folks there. Grand Maester Pycelle's response is classic. Buffoons and hypocrites, all of them, except for Qyburn.

I have very much enjoyed the Varys/Tryion road trip: Two of the most articulate, intelligent, and whimsical characters on the show, forced into a cramped little room with wheels, with nothing better to do but drink and banter.
    I know... it's a nice addition. This wasn't in the books, and I honestly like this better. I'm not sure where the other subplot in the books is going, but I worry it might have put too many balls in the air. I doubt we'll ever see it on the show.

Damn those "Lord of Lights" cultists. They're like termites; they get into everything and eat it away from the inside.
    Tell me about it. Here's a quote of Tyrion's inner monologue during this scene from the book:

Light our fire and protect us from the dark, blah, blah, light our way and keep us toasty warm, the night is full of terrors, save us from the scary thing, and blah blah blah some more.

I love it.

Hooray for Brienne -- great backstory, and she eased up on Podrick and actually is taking responsibility for his growth. But finally we also got a clear sense of her "new direction." This ought to be good... unless you're GRRM, so she'll probably get tetanus from a rusty nail and die out in the woods somewhere before even coming close to succeeding.
    Yes, it was an interesting bit of insight into that situation.

Did I see the Mountain shake?
    I'll admit, that startled me. It looks like he's creating some kind of Frankenstein's monster thing.

Poor Sansa. Damn Littlefinger.
    I got a little choked up, though, when she was brought to her room. Nice.
    It was very strange to see Winterfell again. It brought me back to the first season. It was reassuring, in a way, but I didn't like the flayed men. It looked better without it.

Jon Snow finds himself in a predicament like Daenerys and Robb before him. Does it turn out the same? I had no idea what he would do, honestly. Or even what he should do.
    I'm not sure, but it was an excellent scene. I liked it in the books, too. Janos Slynt was loathsome; he talked a big game, but was merely a coward and a backstabber. When the chips were down, and things were at the darkest, he's the kind of person that would do nothing except run and hide. I don't find that to be loathsome in and of itself (it's understandable), but what I dislike it is that he puffs himself and paints himself as some kind of strong warrior for the Night's Watch. He's dishonest and utterly full of shit about everything.

If it were me, I don't know if I would have given him mercy or not, but I don't miss the character.

It also looks like Arya still has some depth. What a terrible choice to have to make, and I understand why she settled on what she did. But either you're somebody or you're nobody, and you either cleanse yourself to become the blank slate or you remain yourself. I wonder if that will come back to haunt her, or whether it's allowable.
    I'm curious as well....the books give no information on this, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Or.. Arya was withholding the gift of death, because he was on her shit list.
    I think I'm inclined to think that this isn't what happened. I think she took him off her list. There was that scene when he offered to take care of his wounds. She could have helped Brienne kill the hound, too, if that was what she wanted.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.