Thread: Game of Thrones!

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

...welll... he lost more than his identity.

just sayin'.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Osprey liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ...welll... he lost more than his identity.

just sayin'.
    One can argue that what he lost seemed to be quite tied to his previous identity, in the first place. He was a whore, before.

I think there's definitely the exploration of "identity" that's strong within GoT.

Practically every character seems to be asking themselves, "who am I (in all this)? What is my purpose?"

Except for, Varys and Littlefinger. I think they're the most self-aware characters, and it's a flip of the formula in that they know who they are, and the intrigue is in the audience figuring it out. While for most other characters, it's a journey for the audience, along with the characters themselves, to figure out who that character is/will become.

And having to define, redefine, and refine, as they go along.

From Jaime, losing his hand, and meeting Brienne.

Brienne, being confronted by Jaime, and the fact that there are greys within all the black and white.

Arya - as discussed above...

Jon Snow - bastard of the North/true Stark, or, a Night's Watch Lord Commander

Danerys - losing Khal Drogo, finding her "power", and then figuring out the potential of that power. What does it take to be a just ruler?

Cersei - always being undermined by assholes with penises who don't want her at the decisions table, when she has been desperately playing the game for as long as she has

Tyrion - killing his father, and all the pressure that his father put on him, with that gone, what is his purpose now? Beyond trying to antagonize (prove himself worthy to) Daddy Dearest.

Theon - ofc

Sansa - like Brienne, holding on to the idealism, when warring agendas serve as a stark reminder that dreams rarely remain pure, in this world, and how to align oneself for survival, to achieve one's ultimate aim

Forgot to mention, Bran Stark (who we haven't seen in S5 yet) - his identity arc is a powerful one, too! Mind control, ftw! Wonder if he'll ever upgrade (downgrade?) from Hodor and ultimately mind control a dragon? Thinking more on it, this is a distinct possibility, in the ultimate battle with the Whitewalkers. As there is the most powerful dragon, the wayward one, who Danerys has lost all control of, that's flying and wrecking havoc on everything, the black one (name?) that came to Danerys briefly in S5 ep 2, and then flew away, and if he'll be the one to ultimately "tame" it.

etc, etc....

EDIT: Then there are the completely un(self)aware characters, who I have termed the ultimate pawns in this game. It does not bode well for them:
    Prime examples:

Stannis I-ain't-nuthin'-without-that-red-woman Baratheon

Joffrey But-I-Am-The-King "Baratheon"
    Likes Totenkindly, Ivy liked this post

HopelessSituationWarrior Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post

etc, etc....
    What about Ser Pounce? I imagine he's trying to decide if he wants to leave a dead mouse at the portcullis of the Red Keep.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.
    Likes Qre:us, Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

AHHHHHHH @Qre:us you just blew my mind with the faceless man = "dancing" teacher theory!!!
    Likes Qre:us liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    AHHHHHHH you just blew my mind with the faceless man = "dancing" teacher theory!!!

I actually heard of it last week, right after the season started... apparently it's been making the rounds among fan circles. But yeah, I dunno. I'm personally uncertain; but there is the reality that we never did see what happened to her teacher (no body, no idea of what happened after that battle), and in a way it would be a nice circle of completion. That she was recognized and selected from an early age, and that regardless of her being lost and "on her own" for so long, someone was actually looking out for her for much of it.

After all... WHY did that guy look out for her when she was captured? Who is she to warrant a man like that stepping in to help her?

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Qre:us liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It makes perfect sense, and I never thought that guy died anyway. I figured he had told his Braavos homies about her and she would see him when she got to Braavos but I LOVE this theory and I'm on board with it 100%.
    Likes Qre:us, Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    :}

Now I really want to watch this show!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    Now I really want to watch this show!
    DO IT. DO IT. DO IT.

All current 42 episodes.
    BWA HA HA.
    42 hours [slightly more] of GoT goodness.
    WEEKEND MARATHON.

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    One can argue that what he lost seemed to be quite tied to his previous identity, in the first place. He was a whore, before.
    Nice. yes, in that sense he was.

Although you can also say he was a "whore" -- at least his family saw him as such, "whored out to the Starks" rather than to his own Greyjoy family. And now he's not even a whore because he's been entirely broken and victimized, a total object for another's purpose with no real mind or identity of his own.

I appreciate your comments about "identity," although all shows usually involve change as that's the basis of good drama... characters being refined by the situations they find themselves in, dealing with cognitive dissonance, having to be more than they are (or at least expand unused areas of themselves) in order to deal with situations they are not prepared to deal with. Many of these characters indeed were unchallenged and untested, and thought themselves one thing but are really something else... or becoming something else.

Still wondering about Stannis' daughter, with her Grayscale (or whatever it's called). You can't help but wonder about dragonblood or something... although in the last episode we did hear about people who died from the disease when their entire bodies were covered.

Except for, Varys and Littlefinger. I think they're the most self-aware characters, and it's a flip of the formula in that they know who they are, and the intrigue is in the audience figuring it out. While for most other characters, it's a journey for the audience, along with the characters themselves, to figure out who that character is/will become.
    Yeah. I agree with that. Although there's some minor characters with self-awareness. (Like Ser Barristan, for example -- he's the same as he was all his life, it's a matter of integrity for him, he knows what his values are.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

I actually heard of it last week, right after the season started... apparently it's been making the rounds among fan circles. But yeah, I dunno. I'm personally uncertain; but there is the reality that we never did see what happened to her teacher (no body, no idea of what happened after that battle), and in a way it would be a nice circle of completion. That she was recognized and selected from an early age, and that regardless of her being lost and "on her own" for so long, someone was actually looking out for her for much of it.

After all... WHY did that guy look out for her when she was captured? Who is she to warrant a man like that stepping in to help her?
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It makes perfect sense, and I never thought that guy died anyway. I figured he had told his Braavos homies about her and she would see him when she got to Braavos but I LOVE this theory and I'm on board with it 100%.
    Initially, as soon as Jaqen appeared and identified himself as a Bravoosi, and targeted Arya, I thought the same, that her "teacher" had his buddies looking out for her, almost like a last wish/will, "In case of my death, there is this little wolf that needs your help!"

But, the idea that it is one and the same person, only took hold when I saw the old guy turn his face into Jaqen. Faceless Men = (M)Any Faces!
    Likes Ivy, Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

...Which leaves me feeling like I have no idea what Arya is undertaking or who/what she will become -- and whether her own remaining family will ever recognize her again.