• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't really have that hard of a time seeing that battle except for some of the wide shots of the zombies. I guess if you were watching it via streaming, it might be a different story.

I streamed on HBO, the early parts of the battles seemed blurry to me. The later parts inside the castle were OK. Maybe it was just the overall snowy background and blizzard effects that made it hard for me. I did like the shot of the dothraki charge when you see the fireballs flying past the riders. It was stupid, tactically, to send light cavalry first, when they could have kept them in reserve to pick off wights once they'd reached the walls, then retreat to hopefully lead some of the horde away from the castle, but at least it looked cool. I'd have dug two moats and placed the catapults behind the front line so they could keep pelting the rears of the NK's army. But whaddya gonna do. The battle looked cool and most viewers don't care about accuracy or tactics.

Regarding criticism of Dany having magical regenerating dothraki, I just assume she left a huge reserve back on dragonstone, hence why she had so many for the siege of KL.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can actually see Shireen meeting a similar fate in the books. Given how cozy he is with religious fanatics, why not? Just because he's not personally not much of a believer? Do you really think all of the politicians in real life that cozy up with religious fanatics are true believers? In my opinion, that makes him worse that he's not a true believer. He knows that they use their belief system to justify horrendous shit, and he doesn't buy into any of the justifications, but he thinks it will personally benefit him, so he goes with it. Not the mark of great character.

Yup, I think we're all acquainted now with politicians who might not have a preference but just hand a blank check to who will support them and stand by while bad things happen.

Edit: Not to derail things too much, but considering that American exceptionalism still seems to be a viable force within the contemporary political arena and central to mainstream (even "liberal" ) media discourse means this is still rather bold. I suspect some of the backlash to the finale has to do with the fact that Danerys wasn't greeted as a liberator (and the finale really showed you how absurd that concept was as she give that speech in the center of ashes), even if nobody will come right out and say that.

it's hard to tell because the Internet is not really objectively representative; any noise is being directed through whatever social media circles you're attached to.

Since GoT became a popularized shows for non-genre (aka non-fantasy) audiences, it's hard to tell what the bulk of expectation was. For the circles I hang out in, it was about the writing and other decisions. But I would not be surprised in the non-fantasy audience demographic if some of them were upset over the failed expectations for Dani's role, etc. Just think how powerful this could have been if they had done it properly -- where you can see a "good" person, or at least someone with good intentions, veer off into justifying genocide and destruction and not realize how far they have wandered. It could have been an instructional moment, an insightful "wow!" moment. But nope.

I don't think every ounce of every bit was awful. There were good scenes here and there (Ramsay's final moments, Brienne's knighting, Hold the Door, the massacre at Hardhome, I could go on and on). But certainly not the balance and certainly not the big picture. I don't agree with Async's apologist tone in his comments but I agree that a lot of the issue happened when we had four seasons of intricate plotting and characterization where everything was relevant, then going off-book in Season 5 and everything quickly just becoming Cliff Notes and vague brushwork. The early seasons set a standard and expectation for the show that D&D could not maintain in later seasons once off-book. I fully suspect a lot of the major plotpoints are things that will appear in GRRM's books, but I expect them to make sense because he will have filled in all the gaps.

Those forkers couldn't even give the Prince of Dorne a name in the finale. I mean, come on, guys. Make up a forking name. it takes five seconds. It's like they scribbled down the script on a breakfast napkin because someone left the first draft at home and they had to shoot in five minutes.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's impossible to know, exactly, with regards to the backlash. Certainly the last few seasons had a drop on quality; I don't deny that. The part I find puzzling is that it's not like this season was that much worse than the few seasons that preceded it; it was just a continuation of the same problems. Well, ok, Euron Greyjoy (who was depicted as bargain basement less neutral-aligned Jack Sparrow) was shittier than anything that came before (and his shittiness was moved more to the forefront this season), but that's not the only issue people discuss.

Those forkers couldn't even give the Prince of Dorne a name in the finale. I mean, come on, guys. Make up a forking name. it takes five seconds. It's like they scribbled down the script on a breakfast napkin because someone left the first draft at home and they had to shoot in five minutes.

Is he even a Martell? I guess so, because the sun and spear is their emblem, but, like, where did he come from?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Probably Oberyn's other brother or I guess they figured no one would care. Was that one old guy supposed to be Ned's bud Howland Reed? Also, when did Robin Arryn turn into Jason Schwartzman?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Probably Oberyn's other brother or I guess they figured no one would care. Was that one old guy supposed to be Ned's bud Howland Reed?

Well in the books, Oberyn's only brother was Doran.

Also, when did Robin Arryn turn into Jason Schwartzman?

It's the same actor.... the magic of puberty (and breastfeeding) !

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well in the books, Oberyn's only brother was Doran.

One of the things D&D had intended to add that wasn't in the books was a third brother, the black sheep of the family named Skeet Martell. They'd intended to flesh his character out a bit more, but ultimately his dialogue was cut so that's all we see of Skeet Martell.

It's the same actor.... the magic of puberty (and breastfeeding) !

bUt I cAnNoT hAnDlE sEeInG fOrMeR kIdS gRoWeD uP.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah... Skeeter Martell.... yuk yuk yuk

Big downturn for the Martell family... COME ON DOWN TO PLAY FAMILY FEUD!

on my left, the Martells; on my right, the Tyrells! Top Five Answers on the board!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
One of the things D&D had intended to add that wasn't in the books was a third brother, the black sheep of the family named Skeet Martell. They'd intended to flesh his character out a bit more, but ultimately his dialogue was cut so that's all we see of Skeet Martell.

Played by Skeet Ulrich?

bUt I cAnNoT hAnDlE sEeInG fOrMeR kIdS gRoWeD uP.

Lol, I was a little creeped out by that one scene with Arya and Gendry. I had to look away when I realized where the scene was going.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
By the way I never saw Maisie Williams in other roles until recently. I was skeptical but she’s actually got good range.

I saw her in that film Then Came You. It’s a fairly run of the mill romantic dramedy but the cast really elevates it. It’s the most non Arya character but she slays it. If I had to guess which actor were most likely to have a strong post-GoT career, I’d vote her.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Well, good, now I don't have to hear the hyperbolic retroactive revisionist bitching about Game of Thrones ('it was always shit even though I used to love it') mixed with the hyperbolic retroactive revisionist bitching about Star Wars ('i wish George Lucas was handling this instead of Di$$$ney'). Now, at least, they'll remain separate.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, the entire series was landed by autopilot without working instrumentation?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well... wow.

HBO cancels Game of Thrones prequel starring Naomi Watts | EW.com

HBO has scrapped plans for a prequel from showrunner Jane Goldman that starred Naomi Watts and took place thousands of years before the original series. The network shot a full pilot episode in Northern Ireland earlier this year and has elected not to pick up the series. EW learned of the plan to scrap the pilot weeks ago, and news broke Tuesday at another outlet.

A second GoT prequel project focusing on the Targaryen Civil War, however, is still in the works. The project hasn’t officially received a pilot order, but with this news an order seems more likely.

That's coming on the heels of D&D "walking away from" their planned Star Wars trilogy too.

It sounds like they did their pilot and then the series was scrapped. So I'm wondering if the pilot bombed, or GRRM wasn't keen on it any more, or Watts couldn't commit long-term, or there's been a bad taste over all the crap about the GoT ending...?