• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
The last episode left plenty of room for spin offs. Here are my suggestions

The biggest Hobo

Does anyone else remember the kids tv series 'The Littlest Hobo'? They had a stray dog roaming around, making friends with troubled people and resolving all there issues before moving on again. We could do the same thing with Drogo. Every week we flies to a new location, meets people and brings there troubles to an end - and not always by killing them.

Arya in Americos

Arya discovery a new continent, setting of a chain of events that end in mass genocide. She isn't done closing eyes yet! Hey, the God of Death let her save Westeros, and only death can pay for life.

Little house beyond the wall

A family friendly drama with Jon Snow in the far north, trying to rise a family of half wylding children. Get the canned laughter ready as he struggles with the inevitable culture shock of living next to a family of Thrall cannibals!

Lark

Big Bang's ending was disappointing too.

Although you know what's not disappointing, not in keeping with what I imagined exactly but still an ace production, is Good Omens.

Although I recommend the book primarily to anyone who hasnt heard of it before.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been watching a few youtubes and following a few of the bigger discussions of the final season, plus I've rewatched some of the earlier series points to be honest and I've begun to think that perhaps the final season has been awful and not as good as any of the proceeding material.

The thing is that I believed as simple screen entertainment, which completed some of the story arcs, episodes were doing fine, until the very final one which I believe is a terrible bad joke of an episode. Although it was simple screen entertainment and closer material. It was not the sort of thing which had made the show's name in the first place.

At first I thought it was just a lot of fan emoting because the thing was ending and also the tendency to tear everything down and ruin the things you love that appears to be rampant in the western world or at least the anglosphere at the moment. Although I'm rethinking that now.

The illustration with the horse is a good one but I'm not sure I would situated the best season (which I presume is what is meant with the photo realistic segment) as they have, personally, I think the Bran storyline was awful, totally and utterly awful. I understand that it served the purpose of facilitating a couple of more or less crucial reveals, ie Jon Snow's parentage, history of westeros, the intrigue between the children of the forest and makind leading to the rise of the white walkers but honestly I just hated how that character developed.

I did read some interesting stuff about how Bran could have made some interventions in the past, accidentially or deliberately, which create a change of causation resulting in his and everyone's present life and also explaining why he wouldnt do anything other than sit about and talk softly and annoyingly. Even that I dont believe would have saved things. I just didnt like that story arc what so ever and I can definitely see how its logical that it resulted in the finish that everyone got.

The show I believe got ruined back then, with reveals that seemed a little gimicky like the Hordor, Hold The Door, thing.

Well, apparently Bran was part of GRRM's planned ending, which is what I figured. Why D&D, knowing that, didn't give him more to do (even leaving him out of a season), is beyond me. I'm assuming that will be less random in the books, if they ever come out. There's a few things hinting at it in the books. I actually like it as an ending; I went into the season with the expectation that it was just going to be a cliffnotes version of the whole thing and was going to be disjointed, which was really the way I felt about all the other seasons that were off-book. I think it's a good ending for the story, it's just that not enough groundwork was laid were it really makes sense. In other words, people hate the finale because of what led up to it. But I never expected it to be as satisfying as it would have been in the earlier seasons, so maybe that's why I liked it.

Lots of people have snark about subverting expectations, but I actually think it is good for storytelling. The problem is you still have to set things up on a way, just put a lot of red herrings and misdirects in there to cover it up. The last season was a mess, but it was an entertaining mess, and that was all I really asked for. Except for episode 4, which was pretty weak.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Glad you found it entertaining. For me, it removed the need to rewatch the series again and makes me wary of similar future investments. I'm still honestly stunned at how half-assed the last two seasons were in terms of the big picture, despite them being offered the resources and time to do more/better.

Hellena Handbasket

Daywalker
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Big Bang's ending was disappointing too.

Although you know what's not disappointing, not in keeping with what I imagined exactly but still an ace production, is Good Omens.

Although I recommend the book primarily to anyone who hasnt heard of it before.

I'm really excited to watch this. I loved the book and it seems to be very well cast.

The last episode left plenty of room for spin offs. Here are my suggestions

The biggest Hobo

Does anyone else remember the kids tv series 'The Littlest Hobo'? They had a stray dog roaming around, making friends with troubled people and resolving all there issues before moving on again. We could do the same thing with Drogo. Every week we flies to a new location, meets people and brings there troubles to an end - and not always by killing them.

Arya in Americos

Arya discovery a new continent, setting of a chain of events that end in mass genocide. She isn't done closing eyes yet! Hey, the God of Death let her save Westeros, and only death can pay for life.

Little house beyond the wall

A family friendly drama with Jon Snow in the far north, trying to rise a family of half wylding children. Get the canned laughter ready as he struggles with the inevitable culture shock of living next to a family of Thrall cannibals!

I’ll be pitching Game of Chairs

Tyrion continually changes the small council’s seating arrangement to the displeasure of his fellow members and to the amusement of a live studio audience!
AXgHHdn.jpg

Shadow Play

Craya: That boy Eddie...

Dirah: The ginger?

Craya: That's him. Came back with his face burnt right off. He's got no eyelids now.

Dirah: How does he sleep with no eyelids?

I don't know what's worse: that the writers even included the fucking Ed Sheeran cameo in the first place, or that they went to all the trouble to burn him (both figuratively and literally). I'd have preferred it had the cameo not been brought up ever again, but no, they had to remind us of it, going to lengths to shoehorn it into the dialogue.

And gosh, I had no idea they had Starbucks stores in Westeros. Or coffee fruit, either, for that matter.

Still waiting on the Beautiful Death poster to come out for S8 E6. If you haven't seen those posters yet, I highly recommend you do so. The artwork is incredible.

As for why Drogon didn't kill Jon, I suspect that's because he couldn't kill a Targaryen.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm really excited to watch this. I loved the book and it seems to be very well cast.

I watched two episodes of this on Friday, then got sidetracked. I'm not sure what I'd thought it would be like but I was still enjoying it, especially David Tennant who seems to nail his part and visually just looks perfect + some of the tongue-in-cheek humor. The hellhound bit was pretty funny.

I haven't read the book, although I'm a big Neil Gaiman comics fan.

As for why Drogon didn't kill Jon, I suspect that's because he couldn't kill a Targaryen.

That was all I could think of. The dragons were portrayed as fairly intelligence but not particularly philosophical in nature for it to be a subtext of the 'dangers of the throne' and Jon not really being to blame. Technically we don't know whether fire affects Jon, I don't think he ever got blasted at any point in the show, did he?

Tater

The last season looked good on paper, but was rushed. Could have used a few more episodes for expositional purposes and fleshing things out.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That was all I could think of. The dragons were portrayed as fairly intelligence but not particularly philosophical in nature for it to be a subtext of the 'dangers of the throne' and Jon not really being to blame. Technically we don't know whether fire affects Jon, I don't think he ever got blasted at any point in the show, did he?

His hand was burned in Season 1 when the wight attacked Castle Black.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Found this page, it's actually got lots of funny memes.
The Most Hilarious Memes to Come Out of ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 8

A few funny ones:

Well, there we go.

I mean, considering the sloppiness of everything, it could just be an oversight, but I guess Drogon just didn't want to fry a Targaryan. Or had some other reason no one would have suspected that will come out in some obscure "Behind the Episode" video interview with David Benioff but will somehow justify the decision.

(I gotta say, there's a huge difference between adding depth to an episode vs providing essential narrative material in an after-episode interview.)

Shadow Play

Well, there we go.

I mean, considering the sloppiness of everything, it could just be an oversight, but I guess Drogon just didn't want to fry a Targaryan. Or had some other reason no one would have suspected that will come out in some obscure "Behind the Episode" video interview with David Benioff but will somehow justify the decision.

(I gotta say, there's a huge difference between adding depth to an episode vs providing essential narrative material in an after-episode interview.)

There are two theories going around the internet behind why Drogon destroyed the Iron Throne. Basically, he's either the smartest dragon of all time or the dumbest dragon of all time.

The "smartest dragon" camp argues that Drogon melted the Iron Throne because he understood Dany was corrupted by her lust for power, due to the influence of the throne, thus bringing about her death at Jon's hands.

The "dumbest dragon" camp argues that Drogon saw Dany died from being stabbed by a sharp, pointy thing, saw the Iron Throne - a chair made from sharp, pointy things - and decided to attack the chair because he believed it killed Dany.

Neither of those interpretations makes sense. As intelligent as they are, I doubt a dragon could possibly have the political or philosophical insight to understand the significance of that throne. However, I'm convinced Drogon knew Jon killed Dany because of the way he glared at Jon. I mean, I'm no expert on dragon body language, but it seemed like a seething "I'm gonna fry your ass" look to me. But he didn't, and that's likely because Jon's a Targaryen, as I stated before.

Notice how Drogon didn't go straight for the Iron Throne, but blasted indiscriminately around the room first, before aiming for the throne? Thus, I suggest a third interpretation, which is that Drogon destroyed the throne out of rage because his mother was killed, not out of an act of iconoclasm or vengeance.

That's the best interpretation I can give, anyway. Shit writing is still shit writing, and it shouldn't be necessary for Dumb & Dumber to explain their decision in some obscure "behind the episode" video.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I’ll be pitching Game of Chairs

Tyrion continually changes the small council’s seating arrangement to the displeasure of his fellow members and to the amusement of a live studio audience!
AXgHHdn.jpg

Or how about Cooking with Arya - the hip and happening cooking program for young people eager to explore new tastes.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And then a marriage counseling show "A Family Affair" with Jaime and Cersei Lannister -- how to keep the love alive in hard times and the bedroom spicy. ("And for our season finale -- the kind of experience that will hit you like a ton of bricks!")

And This Old Castle, with helpful stronghold improvement tips such as making sure you know where to stand in your fortress basement during a dragon attack so that you don’t end up eating one of the few piles of bricks that fall conveniently to block exits or conk incestuous siblings over the head.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Scraping the Pot by Samwell Tarley -- an informative show covering tips on convenient meal preparation + home sanitation routines. Learn why spatulas and squeegees are the best tools you'll ever own!