Thread: Game of Thrones!

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think with the Mad King, the emphasis should be on "Mad" -- he behaved destructively because he was mentally impaired / had some kind of actual disorganized thinking pattern. True psychotic break.

I agree about Joffrey, who was just kind of some sadist; he liked having power, he liked using his power, and he had no real feelings for those he used his power against, so he would be as prone to hurt or spare someone just to see what happened as he would be to torment them. it was like bug-crushing. However, he wasn't impervious: There were a few moments where his pride had been hurt, however, and it revealed he could be touched -- and these were typically scenes in which Tyrion had bested/humiliated him somehow publicly. Tyrion was not only the one who it seemed that Joffrey could not rattle or harm even when he tried, but who had disdain/indifference towards Joffreys' power and would put him in his place.

I'm not sure what is up with Littlefinger myself. So far it's come across that he loved Cat but when she married Rob, he basically just gave up on love completely and invested his energy into politics since little mattered to him anymore. it does seem like a 'game' to him, and he's invested in playing it even as basically just to see how far he can actually get and perhaps even win.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

this guy...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Character renderings within the limitations of pixel art. Pretty decent job on rendering them in pure small pixel images.
    This Game of Thrones Pixel Art is Bloody Good (and just plain Bloody)

Apparently they're animated too, if you go to the guy's page:
    Pixel Profile - Charlie_pl

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes senza tema liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes, it's true: GRRM actually still writes in WordStar 4.0. Good grief... I actually remember that program (that and WordPerfect and XYWrite were staples at the time), but it was already fading in the early 90's I think.

https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advi...030918684.html

Martin says, “I still do all my writing on an old DOS machine running WordStar 4.0, the Duesenberg of word processing software (very old, but unsurpassed).”

He goes on, “I am not on Facebook. I am not on Twitter. I will not be on the next new thing to come along, the one that makes Facebook and Twitter as obsolete as GEnie and CompuServe and The Source, those halcyon communities of yore.” [5]
    Wordstar sample screen:

Favored by all monochrome monitor users the world over!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oh my God what an old nerd.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

George R.R. Martin Says 'Game Of Thrones' Season 5 Deaths Will Surprise Book Readers

However, Martin revealed at the Writers Guild of America Awards on Saturday that all fans are in for big surprises in "GoT" Season 5. “People are going to die who don’t die in the books, so even the book readers will be unhappy," Martin told Showbiz411. "Everybody better be on their toes."
    Yeah, so all your "Book"ers out there -- better beware! You don't know what might happen either!

.... wait... people might die this season? On GoT? NO WAY.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    George R.R. Martin Says 'Game Of Thrones' Season 5 Deaths Will Surprise Book Readers

Yeah, so all your "Book"ers out there -- better beware! You don't know what might happen either!

.... wait... people might die this season? On GoT? NO WAY.
    I'm good with that. It's fine when the show sticks to the books but I like a few curve balls thrown in here and there.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Season 4 came out on Bluray this week.

I picked up one of the special cases at Best Buy. I was looking for Martell but they only had Stark, Targaryan, and Lannister. I would have taken the Stark case, but it was the shoddiest looking of the three. The bigger thing is that they had a free dvd in there with some production documentaries; I haven't looked at that yet.

(Yeah, I know that pic says "Third Season," but my box actually does say -- and contains -- "Fourth Season.")

Since I was watching bad-quality streams the night after the HBO airing, it's been nice to actually pop in a bluray and see a high-quality image where I can see all the details + hear all the dialogue adequately.

I ended up watching episodes 6 + 7 tonight and will watch 8 and some of 10 later.

It was fun watching Tywin try to manipulate everyone to get what he wants, then watch Tyrion have his heart gouged out by Shay and then go on the verbal rampage.

Or watch Balish close off Episode 7 with probably the cruelest words he has ever uttered.

...And gosh, i've missed Varys.

EDIT: Oh, I don't know if people picked this up on first pass. But in episode 8, Balish is telling Robin Arryn that people die even when they don't leave home. They might die in bed, they might die when eating at the table... and they might even die squatting over their chamberpot.

---------

Anyway, with two months remaining or so, and now with the news that some people alive in the book will die on the show...

... maybe we can make our own public "kill list" (AKA Arya) of which regulars we think might bite it this season? We have two months to ponder before things start up.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I watched a number of the special features on the Season 4 bluray discs.

The deleted scenes + blooper real were pretty lame, honestly.

However, some of the other overview sequences (like "Season 3 interactions" and various clips of the characters/locations/etc) were well-done.

My favorite thing is the 30-minute roundtable with all the main cast members whose characters died in Season 4. It was really neat to see them all IRL and thus what they really sound like / talk like, hanging out and having fun. Charles Dance is far less scary IRL than he was as Tywin, and you could tell he got a kick out of hanging out with some actors who he's old enough to be their grandfather. Jack Gleeson was making terrible puns, Pedro Pascal kept dropping the F-bomb (he's SOOO very likeable), and Rose LEslie (Ygritte) and Mark Stanley (Grenn) probably said the most I've heard them say. Lovely accents.

However, it was interesting almost in more who wasn't there:

For me, in the books—maybe less so in the HBO series—killing Joffrey weakened the momentum of the story. To oversimplify, it was almost like killing Voldemort halfway through Harry Potter. Joff was the man villain, the one I was scared of, especially from Tyrion’s POV. What happens when he really comes to power?

Joff had a visceral effect on readers because he was like a junior high bully with nearly unlimited power, and a psychopath to boot. You were happy and relieved when he died, sure, even if he did get off pretty easy for that world with such a quick and relatively clean death. But was it good for the story? No main villain has since filled the void. Perhaps one will, but there are a lot of pages (and character names to remember) in between. So Martin perhaps went too far in avoiding a Lord of the Rings scenario, wanting to show that the universe—his universe—doesn’t care if a character is “good” or “evil” in casting lots, that it’s all shades of gray, etc. Not to say it still isn’t a great series…

When I was skimming this thread I saw a few posts about the issue of Martin’s angry and demanding fans. I can relate to being disappointed over the long gaps between books, but definitely not to being angry at Martin. Stephen King, who went through the same thing with his Dark Tower series—him and Martin could probably start a support group—wrote a book called Misery that was all about such fans. They—esp. the ones who actually send the writer angry/hate mail—are childish people, in a bad and scary kind of way.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post