• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the "heroes no one wanted but everyone deserves"

Essentially.

Surprised Euron is still around.

He was most interesting in his first appearance or two. Now he's just the brain-damaged bad boy trolling about in his fancy ship blowing shit up at random moments OR he's bragging to Cersei about blowing shit up in order to impress/bed her.

IOW, a total jackass and not as competent as he'd have to be to do the stuff ascribed to him, as written and shot at least.

...I actually have not seen the last two seasons as I don't have HBO. just been reading spoilers here and there.

Not missing much, although there are occasional decent moments/scenes. The Knight scene was decently done, for example.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, predictions:

Deprecator

Considering the recent dip in quality my prediction is that nothing short of a little finger revival will salvage this final season. Arya comes in to kill Cersei, but at the last moment little finger shows up and says, "You thought you were going to get away with this? My great grandfather founded the league of faceless assassins..."

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This has turned to an absolute shitshow. Not only did they botch the character arcs and the greater story, the characters themselves and their dialogue is incredibly one dimensional and amateurishly written. I struggle to finish the latest episode. The overall quality of writing, whether it be story, dialogue or scenes, makes it feel like I'm watching the most big budget fan fiction in history.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One thing I thought during the ending of the debacle (and my son had the same question when we talked about it last night) -- not sure why Cersei didn't

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I agree that Jaqen H’ghar knew Arya could never be, would never be a faceless man. She’s Arya Stark through and through.

The Many Faced God title strongly suggests that the pantheon of new gods is perhaps a monotheistic system cleverly disguised as polytheism. There is only one god. If you follow the premise that the gods derive their power from their worshippers and their relevance in the lives of mortals, only an egomaniacal god would push one portfolio. An industrious one would propagate multiple identities to keep themselves as relevant as possible and enjoy tremendous power.

A god would also be very much interested in keeping it’s source of power protected. The Night King was an instrument of war, a weapon designed to destroy humanity. Of course The Many Faced God would protect his investment. Arya was most likely chosen to be his weapon a very long time ago.

And even if we regard the many faced god as a separate entity, there is still plenty of reasons why it would want to stop the Night King. While the god of death is a rather grim and intimidating entity, I've seen very little to make me think it is evil. One of the things that Arya learns in the temple is that sometimes death is a mercy - that's hardly the message of a wicked god. As far as I can tell, the god of death is just part of the cycle of life m- specifically, the bit at the end. The Night King would have brought that cycle to an end, making him the enemy of the faceless god - which sounds like a bad place to be, if you ask me. On top of that, I could see who the faceless god could be offended by someone who habitually raised the dead on a large scale.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
This has turned to an absolute shitshow. Not only did they botch the character arcs and the greater story, the characters themselves and their dialogue is incredibly one dimensional and amateurishly written. I struggle to finish the latest episode. The overall quality of writing, whether it be story, dialogue or scenes, makes it feel like I'm watching the most big budget fan fiction in history.

“ lol. We can get away with saying cock and titties every sentence” I know that’s not what you meant but it’s certainly nit helping.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I remember back in Season 4 that the season ender (where Tywin bites it in the privy) aired on USA Father's Day, kind of an appropriate send off from the Lannister kids. A number of reviews commented on it, since the episode (and the prior few) had a huge highlight of the difficult of bearing up over demanding fathers.

Well, today is USA Mother's Day... I'm expecting at least one of the two prominent moms (if not both) to snuff it tonight. This show apparently hates parents, even if Gilly's still around. :D

You think they plan this, honestly; like, they schedule the season around dates like this.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So I remember back in Season 4 that the season ender (where Tywin bites it in the privy) aired on USA Father's Day, kind of an appropriate send off from the Lannister kids. A number of reviews commented on it, since the episode (and the prior few) had a huge highlight of the difficult of bearing up over demanding fathers.

Well, today is USA Mother's Day... I'm expecting at least one of the two prominent moms (if not both) to snuff it tonight. This show apparently hates parents, even if Gilly's still around. :D

You think they plan this, honestly; like, they schedule the season around dates like this.

You know, even if Danerys goes full mad queen, I hope it's Cersei that bites it. Cersei was terrible even when she was a little girl.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, I like this season better than the last two.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to fuck the wheel into the cold dark ground." ~ Danerys Stormborne

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

"I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to fuck the wheel into the cold dark ground." ~ Danerys Stormborne

Yes, but did you like it or not like it? It wasn't perfect, but I'm happy with it overall. It's like the rest of this season. Some really dumb moments, but lots of good stuff. Oh, and regarding something else I've been complaining about...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, I actually had my laptop out during that debacle and was jotting things down throughout. Kinda of amusing.

Anyway, thank god this is almost over, I kinda just want the pain to end.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, but did you like it or not like it? It wasn't perfect, but I'm happy with it overall. It's like the rest of this season. Some really dumb moments, but lots of good stuff. Oh, and regarding something else I've been complaining about...

I think it was really impressive if you want to watch, well, you know what happened in general. In terms of THAT, it was well shot.

But it's a total fucking shitshow in terms of crafting a coherent story that properly connects and concludes various character arcs that have been carefully bricked and mortared in place for twenty five years.

It's like the Battle of Winterfell, it's kind of subjectively awesome in the moment, then afterwards it's a huge disappointment and also yet one more moment that drops this show yet another rung on the ladder in terms of its overall impact... kind of how Lost took a lot of credibility loss in its last season.

A huge victory for the director, a huge black mark for the showrunners.

It's the kind of thing that means I'll probably only ever rewatch the first four seasons, plus selected episodes (like Hardhome or The Door) but never bother watching the rest.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think it was really impressive if you want to watch, well, you know what happened in general. In terms of THAT, it was well shot.

But it's a total fucking shitshow in terms of crafting a coherent story that properly connects and concludes various character arcs that have been carefully bricked and mortared in place for twenty five years.

It's like the Battle of Winterfell, it's kind of subjectively awesome in the moment, then afterwards it's a huge disappointment and also yet one more moment that drops this show yet another rung on the ladder in terms of its overall impact... kind of how Lost took a lot of credibility loss in its last season.

A huge victory for the director, a huge black mark for the showrunners.

It's the kind of thing that means I'll probably only ever rewatch the first four seasons, plus selected episodes (like Hardhome or The Door) but never bother watching the rest.

Well, you're probably right with a lot of that, but my expectations were kind of lowered going into this season, so it's easy to succeed them. Generally speaking, I'm a big believer in managing expectations regarding all things.

I think in the books, if they ever come out, a lot of the problems with the last seasons, including the inconsistency with how powerful the dragons actually are. Don't forget that in the books, there's another contender for the iron throne who seems to be doing quite well the last we see that character. Euron will play an extremely different role than the crap we got here. It becomes easy to see how there can be a lot more organic ways for things to not be a cakewalk for Danerys in the book universe.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, you're probably right with a lot of that, but my expectations were kind of lowered going into this season, so it's easy to succeed them. Generally speaking, I'm a big believer in managing expectations regarding all things.

Well, we all have different levels of expectation.

For me, there's a few rules:

1. A piece of art sets its own expectation. I don't get annoyed with trash films, and sometimes I really can enjoy a substandard film (from a critical perspective) if it is true to what it promised and was going for. But it does mean that if something sets a high expectation for itself (through marketing, or through exceptional quality through much of it), then if it drops the ball, I will be critical of it. It didn't deliver what it promised.

2. While I can read in a lot of shit into a story, that's not my job to make excuses for the writer. A piece of art's quality is not based on its aspirations but on its delivery. Lots of people have great ideas, few can deliver on them. There's a lot of stuff that one can read into this episode, make certain connections -- but to me, if the episode ITSELF does not make those connections, then it has failed to do the job. I can see that some people read a lot of subtext into the story to make it palatable for them, but even when I'm aware of it, either the show actually tied that stuff in directly or it failed to.

3. A refusal to tell the story in the amount of space it needs to be adequately told is a failure. In this case, some of the blame is due to the fact that they could not honor all the storylines that were set in place / manage all the dramatic beats necessary to really create something exceptional. However, that was the showrunners deciding they would rather rush things through and not properly managing the time needed to deliver, they don't get a pass just because they couldn't deliver everything in the time frame. It's that way for anything, even if it's not a story at all but a software project, etc. HBO is making a lot of money on this show and I'm sure would give whatever was required.

In the end, once the show is no longer airing, all you have are rewatches, and the show is in final form forever. So you want to make sure it's done right. Because that's all future generations will see.

4. It's a work of art. I need to have an emotional response to it -- not necessarily surface emotion, but some deep "in the gut" pervasive response. The best art IMO does that, it makes you feel something. All these kinds of discrepancies in logic that take one out of the show / make the characters not feel real, or realizations that you do not experience in the moment while actually watching the show, means the piece of art is not generating the depth of connection that it should.

I'll reiterate I will probably read the books, now, though -- if GRRM ever finishes them. Because I am far more confident the storylines will get the time and space and seriousness they need to actually find decent closure, versus the primetime TV version.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'll reiterate I will probably read the books, now, though -- if GRRM ever finishes them. Because I am far more confident the storylines will get the time and space and seriousness they need to actually find decent closure, versus the primetime TV version.

Oh, I added in my last post that there's a lot of stuff that GRRM put in the last two books that make me see how the story could develop along this path more organically. A lot of people, myself included, wondered why some of that stuff was put in there, and where exactly he was going with it, but a reddit post made a really good point about how much of it is likely to play a role in getting things to the right place in a way that feels more natural.

Euron's treatment on the show, I think, is worse than even Dorne. Clearly, in the books, the Iron Islands and Dorne are going to play into things very differently than in the show, and the conclusion of the story will probably be better for it.