Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 2194

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Arya is becoming quit cold and ruthless. Like Anakin, she may be walking down the Dark Side.
    Possible. If the story takes pains to let you like characters you initially hated (like Jamie), it would make sense that it would cause you to hate a character you initially liked. Don't know if that'll be Arya, but mayhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    There's a lot of that going around...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah, I've heard Season 5 wasn't as tightly scripted in the books and (versus Season 1 for example) some stories have been greatly accelerated forward in terms of the book material versus others. Plus all the small changes are now accruing into perhaps some more divergent plotlines. I guess we'll see.

It will be most amusing if Martin doesn't write the books and the show scripts the ending to his story for him. BWA HA HA HA!!!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Yeah, I've heard Season 5 wasn't as tightly scripted in the books and (versus Season 1 for example) some stories have been greatly accelerated forward in terms of the book material versus others. Plus all the small changes are now accruing into perhaps some more divergent plotlines. I guess we'll see.

It will be most amusing if Martin doesn't write the books and the show scripts the ending to his story for him. BWA HA HA HA!!!
    Ha, that's a great gif. I love that little actor.

It's interesting. Martin still hasn't finished the books, the show isn't finished, the show excels in some places where the books do not. I wonder if he's now in cahoots with the show writers for the books.

I heard Michael Crichton basically wrote Jurassic Park 2 knowing it'd be based on the book. I"m sure there''s tons of books like tht. But it's cool that Martin seems to be working with HBO, as J2 was obviously shit.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Rogue heart

Don't know why I find this so funny. Poor Pycelle!

Rogue heart

Also:

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I think that's a pretty good possibility, too! Martin had some pretty crazy ideas on how they would adapt the TV show (such as 3 seasons for Books 4 and 5, which... no), and it's only been in the past few months that he really seemed to understand that the show creators are 100% serious about 7 seasons.

So while all isn't lost yet, things aren't looking good for the book fans. It appears the current timeline is to roll Books 4 and 5 into Season 5 (2015), with Winds of Winter = Season 6 (2016), and A Dream of Spring = Season 7 (2017). More or less.

I think there is a very reasonable chance that Winds of Winter will be released in 2015, so his only hope is that Winds of Winter has as many amazing game changing set pieces as Storm of Swords, forcing the TV show to go to 8 seasons. If that happens, Martin has until Season 8 (2018) to finish A Dream of Spring. That is, 3 years. He wrote the first 3 books in 2-3 years a piece, so it's plausible.

My money is on the TV show finishing first. Smarmy book readers are going to have some karma coming their way!

It's interesting. Martin still hasn't finished the books, the show isn't finished, the show excels in some places where the books do not. I wonder if he's now in cahoots with the show writers for the books.
    Well, he writes the script for 1 episode every season, and he's in constant contact with the show's creators. He says that he doesn't consciously alter the books for the show, but admits that the show can affect his writing. The perfect example is Natalia Tena's Osha. She's more interesting in the TV show, and Martin said he will likely end up writing that into the books.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Looks like they are likely recasting Myrcella for Season 5.

The key Game of Thrones Season 5 character has been recast, with Northern Irish actress Aimee Richardson out and English actress Nell Tiger Free in. HBO has not confirmed that news yet, however.
    Poor Pycelle. He didn't even get to finish his inspirational speech before the trial by combat.

Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

This was amusing. Some of his impressions are better than others,
    but at least many of the lines are funny and he usually gets the tone correct.

She didn't kill him cuz she felt he needed to think over the life he's lived.

As far as Arya and the Hound death scene is concerned, I'm just going to forget the books (don't read 'em, but hear reveals). I felt she was so stoic and quiet during that scene because she wanted to know what he'd say, how he'd respond knowing (or thinking he knows) that he was dying.

To me, it's a sort of confession scene, though you have to read between the lines. He admits his lifelong loneliness, but ultimately is not a bad man.

Arya is becoming quit cold and ruthless. Like Anakin, she may be walking down the Dark Side. I do think all of her killings so far have been justified. Though this thing with making The Hound suffer is odd. He did kill the Butcher boy, which is why he was on her kill list, but I think she's forgiven him for that. If not, that's part of the reason she's letting him die slow, because c'mon, how's he getting out of this?
    I think Arya not killing the Hound is also reflective of the lessons she learned from another kill they had along their journey. That of the old man that Arya and the Hound comes across, severely wounded by the raid, and dying, and the Hound does the merciful thing, giving him his last drop of water, and then killing him, ending his pain.

I think Arya, although she begrudgingly accepts the Hound as a person, and that he's not all bad, still is not completely convinced that he deserves mercy, a merciful death. Justice versus mercy. Imagining that they lie on the opposite ends of a continuum/spectrum.

Getting to know him along their journey, the clear lines between Justice versus Mercy, with regards to the Hound, blurs for her. So, she detaches herself, and leaves him to his own fate.

Justice, as she had initially promised to carry out, would be to kill him for killing the butcher's boy, on her terms, not his, when he's not wanting death, but she gives it to him, regardless, thereby delivering justice. Hence, why he made it to her (s)hit list. However, as time went out, I think she started to falter from that conviction of delivering Justice, with regards to the Hound.

However, she also saw examples of mercy, a merciful death, and, I don't think she was there yet, to jump from one end of the spectrum of Justice, all the way to the other end, towards believing that the Hound deserved a merciful death.

In Arya's eyes, he might no longer deserve the death she planned to carry out, in the name of Justice, but that doesn't mean he automatically makes it to the complete opposite end of the spectrum, towards yet deserving mercy. Morality, as GoT points out, is rarely black and white, and the journey from Justice to mercy is not one step over, but a process.

So she leaves the decision, the situation, where the colliding conclusion between justice and mercy, in that case, could have been one and the same. Hound's death. However, the delivery of it must be what defines justice from mercy. And, as this case wouldn't allow that distinction between delivery: would it be justice? would it mercy? She gave him neither.

He can't walk, the only living people within like 100 miles seems to be Brienne and Big-Dick boy.
    LOL, that's Pod's secret with the ladies, is it?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I found the Hound/Arya scene in the book and it seems even colder there IMO.
    It's not really that long, really only a page or two.
    It does have Sandor saying the same kinds of stuff to goad her on, although I think he comes off more sympathetic on the show.

While the show does toss out some detail that readers enjoy, I find it a good adaptation in general: It basically hones in on the core stuff and then accentuates it. IOW, it distills out the essence.

LOL, that's Pod's secret with the ladies, is it?
    I totally forgot that -- yeah, he got a free night in the brothel in Season 3 (?), and apparently he was quite the memorable member according to the girls working that shift.