• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just read the prequel book, Fire and Blood, which covers the conquest to the Dance of Dragons. There is some very cool stuff in it and some amazing characters and stories.

It is written as a chronicle and the no POVs except the narrator, who admits he may not have the correct story.

Well worth the read for GoT fans

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I thought last season really showed that they jumped the shark a bit (really the cracks first started in season 5, or perhaps parts of 4) despite some good set-pieces. In particular I hated how they wrote Tyrion, and he seemed to have gotten brain damage. That whole subplot about capturing a wight to convince Cersei was so stupid. Tyrion of all people should know why that's a bad idea. I couldn't even believe what I heard when Tyrion first mentioned it, and I thought I heard wrong.

I'm also very annoyed about the repeated motif of "drowning in full armor.... psych!" that they kept using. That and the way Benjen Stark is back from the dead, but the only significance appears to be to act as a Deus Ex Machina.

And apparently the stuff with Sansa and Littlefinger wasn't actually written as Sansa secretly playing Littlefinger, but it was rather him buying into his bullshit (why, by this point?) and only a vision of Bran convincing her to turn on him (this was in a deleted scene).

Also Bran......so he knows all this stuff happened because of the tree powers, but doesn't say anything about until the last minute. It's really frustrating to have a character like that who literally knows everything, and not saying anything about any of it, without explaining why. I can buy that bit with Sansa at the heart tree as him losing his humanity, but I can't really overlook the other stuff.

That being said, I'm invested in the story, and I'll probably never get the book version, so I'll have to take this version with all the nonsensical leaps and jerks that surely must be because of basing it off of the CliffNotes version of how the story ends.

I'll watch it and give them credit when they do something well, and grumble when they do something badly.

But I just think the most unforgivable thing is what they did with Tyrion, who was always my favorite. Maybe if they do something with him playing both sides, that botching can be redeemed. There are possible hints for that, and that's the only reason he wolud display such poor judgement.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wouldn't read too much into the trailer, given that they also used the Hall Of Faces in one. I also thought the teaser for last season was better:

It just fits the actions and the characters so perfectly. And Cersei's countenance is terrifying to behold. It actually does remind me of a lioness sizing up her prey.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought last season really showed that they jumped the shark a bit (really the cracks first started in season 5, or perhaps parts of 4) despite some good set-pieces. In particular I hated how they wrote Tyrion, and he seemed to have gotten brain damage. That whole subplot about capturing a wight to convince Cersei was so stupid. Tyrion of all people should know why that's a bad idea. I couldn't even believe what I heard when Tyrion first mentioned it, and I thought I heard wrong.

I'm also very annoyed about the repeated motif of "drowning in full armor.... psych!" that they kept using. That and the way Benjen Stark is back from the dead, but the only significance appears to be to act as a Deus Ex Machina.

And apparently the stuff with Sansa and Littlefinger wasn't actually written as Sansa secretly playing Littlefinger, but it was rather him buying into his bullshit (why, by this point?) and only a vision of Bran convincing her to turn on him (this was in a deleted scene).

Also Bran......so he knows all this stuff happened because of the tree powers, but doesn't say anything about until the last minute. It's really frustrating to have a character like that who literally knows everything, and not saying anything about any of it, without explaining why. I can buy that bit with Sansa at the heart tree as him losing his humanity, but I can't really overlook the other stuff.

That being said, I'm invested in the story, and I'll probably never get the book version, so I'll have to take this version with all the nonsensical leaps and jerks that surely must be because of basing it off of the CliffNotes version of how the story ends.

I'll watch it and give them credit when they do something well, and grumble when they do something badly.

But I just think the most unforgivable thing is what they did with Tyrion, who was always my favorite. Maybe if they do something with him playing both sides, that botching can be redeemed. There are possible hints for that, and that's the only reason he wolud display such poor judgement.

I don't disagree with this. I think it was really obvious when they went "off book". It doesn't mean there haven't been some good moments (like the Hodor closing sequence), but it felt to me like the show dropped from the top-notch sensibility and complexity it was known for to something more soap-operaish rather than retaining nuance of character. The actors know their characters but that cannot overcome any of the non-sensical plotting. All in all, that means this went from one of those shows I possessed avid interest in (like Breaking Bad) to just kind of watching so I can know the ending. Even stuff like the loss of a dragon was marred by all the illogic involved in setting up the scene and then in how it played out after... like, everything was sensationalized while not making much sense whatsoever except as some kind of "wow" story point. Disappointed to hear that about Sansa too... as I am sure how Martin would have written if he hadn't gotten behind the show rather than being ahead of it. I felt like Tyrion was all over the place too, I don't really find his arc in the last two seasons that believable, from an authenticity/emotion POV.

I badly want(ed) the show to succeed, but at this point again it's more to see how they wrap it up and also love for the characters that was earned in the first four seasons. I really hate Season 5, although that's mainly because so much of it was a Dorne nothingburger. srsly, the whole subplot got so much time invested in it, all for nothing whatsoever... aside from seeing lots of Bronn, which was always fun. Again, there's an occasional great scene, but the overall character arcs don't feel as sensibly developed and written with nuance.

Anyway, I have been avoiding all spoilers as much as possible. Sophie Turner tells the end to all her friends? Naw, I don't care. Actors drop bits about filming? Naw, don't care. Watching the trailers? I haven't even seen them all, and don't feel much inclination to watch. Partly because my curiosity isn't nearly as strong, and partly because I'd rather than watch it unfold than knowing anything ahead of time. it's about the most pleasure I've got left in it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lots of people will die for sure. More Starks will die, for sure. It will be a victorious ending for the living, but at great cost.

Hopefully Varys gets a little more to do this season. His character development was lacking in season 7, although the scene between him and Daenerys is IMO one of the best in the entire series. We see the full extent of his loyalty to the people and finally understand him, and I love seeing Daenerys' eyes as she realizes this (I also love it when Tyrion tries to speak up for his buddy and Daenerys just keeps grilling Varys). I suppose this one scene somewhat makes up for what amounted to him standing around and nodding his head in the rest of the season. Still, he has to be one of the bravest and most principled characters in the entire series.

My other favorite scene is the meeting leading up to the dragon pit summit, where everyone is finally showing their true colours and declaring their sides. Seeing Tyrion meet Bronn again made me a little emotional.

Jaime went from being despised to one of my favorites too. I can't wait to see a conversation between him and Daenerys. I want him to say what he said to Robert in this scene:

Will she forgive him for slaying her father when she realizes he acted in the interests of the people?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess Season 8 is 8-10 weeks away?

I think there's a good chance Jon Snow won't survive, if at least the series is true to GRRM's tone. I mean, it would be a "happy" ending maybe if he did, but the thing is that he is on borrowed time. He's already died. He's back mainly to serve a purpose. Once that purpose is served, his role would be finished. Maybe there's stuff I am missing from the book or lines I've forgotten that might suggest otherwise, but comes down to Martin's sensibilities and what the showrunners decide to do; and Jon seems to be burdened by that sense of nothingness he experienced while dead, and came back to play a part. Martin was really harsh on Tolkien's Gandalf for his supposedly "easy" resurrection

[personally, I think that's unfair -- Gandalf wasn't a man, he was basically an incarnate angel and sent as an extension of the Illuvatarian Gods from the west, so if they want to send him back in a more purified form after centuries of living as a man had diluted him, that's their prerogative... he didn't really exist as a human character when sent back, he was an emissary... so he and Jon are in a different league, perhaps, since Jon was always mortal, even if he's also been sent back to fulfill a job]

and if you note all the people who are alive after death in Martin's series (except maybe Beric?) are in a world of hurt and/or a form of bastardization of life. Lady Stoneheart. Robert Strong. etc.

I dunno. As far as who will take the Throne, if they follow GRRM's approach:

1. There won't be a throne and it'll be dismantled and/or some kind of new arrangement. Out with the old. In with the new. This could even involve some sense of balance with the Wights but I'm not sure because while there is a backstory there we don't know yet, they keep being portrayed as destructive and evil at least in the show... anti-life, a bastardization of life.

2. It'll be someone unexpected. Again, the old system passes away. Something new arises.

My biggest fear is that they will ruin this show by continuing to resort to the sentimental and the expected. The best part of the first few seasons is that it consistently deviated from expectation.

rav3n

The official release date is Sunday, April 14, 2019.

Did anyone else notice the Lord of Light/Melisandre parallel to God/Allah/corrupt priests and prophets?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They just did a Bud Light ad featuring the Mountain and his signature move. No, really.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In case anyone cares:

I know the violence is implied rather than directly shown, but I'm really surprised that ended up as an ad on the most-watched broadcast TV event of the year. Then again, it's not like we saw a nipple or anything.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So that was a dual ad? Because it's kind of confusing whether it's a Bud Light ad or an HBO ad. Although it kind of dissed Bud Light. Like, if you drink bud light, you're a foolish wuss?

Bad conception, but HBO scanned ok.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So that was a dual ad? Because it's kind of confusing whether it's a Bud Light ad or an HBO ad. Although it kind of dissed Bud Light. Like, if you drink bud light, you're a foolish wuss?

Bad conception, but HBO scanned ok.

Essentially.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Essentially.

I have now seen that ad show up in some comprehensive list grading all the ads for tonight -- and it's given an "A". I don't know wtf why... as I noted, its messaging is a bit confusing, and the dragon air shots seemed ripped right out of GoT rather than being done specifically for the ad. I'd give it a C or a C+ maybe.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have now seen that ad show up in some comprehensive list grading all the ads for tonight -- and it's given an "A". I don't know wQwtf why... as I noted, its messaging is a bit confusing, and the dragon air shots seemed ripped right out of GoT rather than being done specifically for the ad. I'd give it a C or a C+ maybe.

I thought it was the best ad I saw, but I only watched about twenty minutes before realizing that I don't care about the Patriots or the Rams.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought it was the best ad I saw, but I only watched about twenty minutes before realizing that I don't care about the Patriots or the Rams.

I didn't watch any of it because I knew ahead of time I didn't care about either, rofl.

Then I had a guy swearing on our phone text work channel and I just KNEW the Superbowl must have ended and the Patriots won.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I didn't watch any of it because I knew ahead of time I didn't care about either, rofl.

Then I had a guy swearing on our phone text work channel and I just KNEW the Superbowl must have ended and the Patriots won.

Well, I thought last year was exciting because of the Eagles and all, but I just couldn't maintain interest this time.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was a confusing ad as to the point. But anytime dragons show up to make the world burn I am gonna be down