• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, when I was figuring out who his parents possibly were a few years ago, I rewatched the first two episodes and there was a lot of foreshadowing -- yes, a bit between Ned and Jon, but also some very interesting conversations and reactions from Ned while he was riding south with Robert. It's what gave me the idea that ended up being right.

I was about to bring that up, but you beat me to it. It looks like Ned is holding his tongue when he's eating lunch with Robert in the field and Robert is telling him about why they should assassinate Danerys.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Well, when I was figuring out who his parents possibly were a few years ago, I rewatched the first two episodes and there was a lot of foreshadowing -- yes, a bit between Ned and Jon, but also some very interesting conversations and reactions from Ned while he was riding south with Robert. It's what gave me the idea that ended up being right.

I agree, it is in the first few episodes VERY strongly, but it's not as consistent throughout the various seasons. I was amazed how clearly it came through on TV, when I went back last year and watched season 1. I didn't really think much of all the Robert/Ned chats the first time around (because I actually started with the show before the books). It was well done!

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I don't have any problems with Season 6's writing, although I did notice how Varys was able to Fast Travel between Dorne and Daenarys. Didn't think much of it, maybe they just wanted to get to the good part for a cliffhanger. But season 7 resorted to clichéd story writing so many times that it was noticeable even to a layman. Game of Thrones is not known to be kind to beloved characters. Now we got Redshirts to protect protagonist. Nobody knows how many Redshirts we had up in the north and how many of them died, but we all sure do know the protagonist who died up there. Or how about that magical cave that simply explained the plot to everyone at the right moment. People who had lived in the nearby castle for hundreds of years knew nothing of it. I really do hope that they are going to be better for the last season. I'd hate to see such a great show fumble so close to a finish line. :(

I think if the show holds true to form because there are so many fan favorites still standing at the end of season 7 they'll start dropping in season 8. Honestly a lot of my favorites are still alive and back in say season 3 or 4 I was expecting most of them to be dead by now. I'm still waiting for something truly awful to happen to Sam and Gilly just because they're the two most honest and decent people in the show. Jon Snow is an upright guy too but Sam and Gilly just have this innocence about them that I'm waiting to see mercilessly crushed.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think if the show holds true to form because there are so many fan favorites still standing at the end of season 7 they'll start dropping in season 8. Honestly a lot of my favorites are still alive and back in say season 3 or 4 I was expecting most of them to be dead by now. I'm still waiting for something truly awful to happen to Sam and Gilly just because they're the two most honest and decent people in the show. Jon Snow is an upright guy too but Sam and Gilly just have this innocence about them that I'm waiting to see mercilessly crushed.

I honestly would be surprised if they did.

If it was earlier in the series, yes. But there just have been little balls for that kind of thing anymore, ever since Melisandre held her marshmallow roast.

I guess if they want to feel provocative, they will have Gilly get some kind of lingering disease where she can nobly die under Sam's ministrations while he promises to care for her baby. Or have something fall (like a building) on her. It's about all the kind of provocativeness they can manage anymore, since obviously a guy in plate armor and a fake hand and not much time to catch a breath can underwater-swim in 20' of water or more fast enough to win an olympic medal without drowning and emerge far enough away that no dragon or army notices him.

Actually, if tragedy will hit Sam, it would make the most sense for him to contract greyscale after saving Jorah. He could then live in isolation and pain while writing the memoirs of ice and snow. It would also fit GRRM's rule about people's endings/demises fitting their choices -- it was kind of dumb (even if compassionate and noble) for Sam to try to help Jorah, and very dangerous, but he did it anyway.

I honestly would be surprised if they did.

If it was earlier in the series, yes. But there just have been little balls for that kind of thing anymore, ever since Melisandre held her marshmallow roast.

I guess if they want to feel provocative, they will have Gilly get some kind of lingering disease where she can nobly die under Sam's ministrations while he promises to care for her baby. Or have something fall (like a building) on her. It's about all the kind of provocativeness they can manage anymore, since obviously a guy in plate armor and a fake hand and not much time to catch a breath can underwater-swim in 20' of water or more fast enough to win an olympic medal without drowning and emerge far enough away that no dragon or army notices him.

Actually, if tragedy will hit Sam, it would make the most sense for him to contract greyscale after saving Jorah. He could then live in isolation and pain while writing the memoirs of ice and snow. It would also fit GRRM's rule about people's endings/demises fitting their choices -- it was kind of dumb (even if compassionate and noble) for Sam to try to help Jorah, and very dangerous, but he did it anyway.
Hey Jaime Lannister is just that badass and Bronn is the king of badasses!

The Winter War needs significant loss or it's empty. Not just red shirts getting picked off on the ice but real meaningful deaths. If I don't shout you bastards! at least once next season I call complete bullshit. Epic climactic struggles have no punch without loss. And hopefully no we'll kill off likable but not loved secondary characters either. The list of people I really like is big at this point so I'm hopeful. They already killed my most despised thoroughly bad bad guy so now besides Cersei and her creepy cronies I care about everyone.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I've watched all seasons of GoT in 1 month and now I'm reading the books. All those years I thought it wasn't gonna be my thing :fpalm:

Haha..I said the same thing at the beginning of the series. I had read the first two books and I liked them but I said - eh, not my cup of tea. Not gonna watch. Of course I was sucked in from the beginning but I say this often. Westworld was another one I said I had no interest in watching. I was so wrong.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Haha..I said the same thing at the beginning of the series. I had read the first two books and I liked them but I said - eh, not my cup of tea. Not gonna watch. Of course I was sucked in from the beginning but I say this often. Westworld was another one I said I had no interest in watching. I was so wrong.

Oh yeah, big fan of Westworld too.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I don't have any problems with Season 6's writing, although I did notice how Varys was able to Fast Travel between Dorne and Daenarys. Didn't think much of it, maybe they just wanted to get to the good part for a cliffhanger. But season 7 resorted to clichéd story writing so many times that it was noticeable even to a layman. Game of Thrones is not known to be kind to beloved characters. Now we got Redshirts to protect protagonist. Nobody knows how many Redshirts we had up in the north and how many of them died, but we all sure do know the protagonist who died up there. Or how about that magical cave that simply explained the plot to everyone at the right moment. People who had lived in the nearby castle for hundreds of years knew nothing of it. I really do hope that they are going to be better for the last season. I'd hate to see such a great show fumble so close to a finish line. :(

I rather feel like they've compressed it too much to get it into seven shows. Their taking short cuts to squeeze everything in. Sansa and Arya's subplot being a prime example. What the fuck happened between those two to make everything sunshine and roses all of a sudden? Sansa sure seemed to get over finding a bunch of flayed human faces in her sisters bag real quick.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Haha..I said the same thing at the beginning of the series. I had read the first two books and I liked them but I said - eh, not my cup of tea. Not gonna watch.
I had to restart the first book thrice. And I found the 2nd book to be tedious. When I heard about the show, I was excited. I know TV can make books much more appealing and easier to understand. I was happy how 2nd season turned out. Tyrion especially shined.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
SEASON 8 SPOILERS

DJYRcelUEAE3SPH.jpg

I had to restart the first book thrice. And I found the 2nd book to be tedious. When I heard about the show, I was excited. I know TV can make books much more appealing and easier to understand. I was happy how 2nd season turned out. Tyrion especially shined.
Most fantasy books stick with a party, a group which may split into smaller units as the story unfolds. Being a guy with ADD, I found trying to keep track of all these characters spread all over difficult. I kind of lost interest really quickly.

Having watched the show, I've recently started to read the novels again and my sense of story cohesion is so much stronger for having watched it. Like you said, it conveys all these seemingly separate (initially anyway) storylines with greater clarity for an easily distracted guy like me.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hope Jaime kills Cercei.

sorry love. *gush*

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Season 11 X-Files does not satisfy my thirst for hot dragon queens, dragons, a myriad of other really awesome characters and of course the epic Sir Bronn of the Fooking Blackwater!

Queen* (there can only be one remember)

and a dead-dragon*

Haha Sir Bronn, an easily lovable character alongside Tyrion Lannister.

Queen* (there can only be one remember)

and a dead-dragon*

Haha Sir Bronn, an easily lovable character alongside Tyrion Lannister.
Yes if we got technical we’d be announcing Daenerys for the next four hours. Tyrion is one of the coolest characters ever. Though I feel the writing for Peter Dinklage to work with has suffered in the last two seasons.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes if we got technical we’d be announcing Daenerys for the next four hours. Tyrion is one of the coolest characters ever. Though I feel the writing for Peter Dinklage to work with has suffered in the last two seasons.

Yeah, my favorite of Tyrion/Peter was the whole scene of him on trial against Shae and his father.

Well Season 8 is going to be an incredibly loaded season, so it's really going to be hard how much they're gonna let each character shine.

I mean Sansa has been increasing in character/plot value slowly over time (it's most noticeable in season 6)
Arya was intensely an interesting character post-S6

Bran is a fickle character, he's kind of been in and out and it's only this very last episode had he shown a strong significance in the show (I mean yeah yeah the whole journey what not, but it felt like a side story until he could really show his powers)

Jon Snow they gotta be careful with because he and Daenerys are going to have a huge focal point against Cercei and her deserted siblings lol. How much of the part of the show they're going to give is going to be immensely a huge task while giving many other characters a chance.

We also have to settle with the whole fleet of the Iron Islands, I could see them easily just have half an episode to themselves and that's it.

And freaking let Brienne of Tarth and Sandor Clegane duke it out against the zombie-horde with Tormund of course too.

I'm afraid that Melisandre might take a back role because of the major boo she got for being a deserting witch with her only redeeming quality of raising Jon back from the dead.

and then surprise us all with Natalie Dormer Margaery being alive the whole time.. (I mean jaime should've been dead from this last season :wink:) I'm joking about that bit though :p

Yeah...

and of course Jaime being the number one bad ass of the show, letting his kingslayer change to: queenslayer hahaha