• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

Beorn

Permabanned
Meanwhile at Eastwatch:

picgifs-a-team-9768689.gif

giphy.gif

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I never read the books, but I fell in love with Littlefingers arc...why do I get a feeling the show will take him (has already taken him) in a direction that was not at all intended for him by the original author? You can just taste the different in the dialogue/story the last couple of seasons.....and that fan service....:( Why can't we have perfect things made by perfect people working solely to satisfy our personal whims on planet earth?!!!Uh??UUUUH??!!

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm so thrown off by how time passes in the show.

I mean even if episode 6 is supposed to mindbogglingly epic (probably is)
it really looks like Jon Snow and pals attack Leeroy Jenkins style and just run away...
like a noob on an mmorpg too impatient to level up, gets a taste of a bad guy.. runs away from 1 hit lol (and survives luckily)

to me, Jaime Lanister surviving was like not even a question. I was like he clearly dodged the fire. They wouldn't let him die just to avoid burning :dry:
But I like Jaime and Bronn so yeah.

Bran Stark still being the chillest mother- on the planet. But the whole ooh I turned my face on the birds cuz I'm gonna stare you.. felt childish and predictable lol

The purpose of the letter was to get Arya to separate from Sansa, for that Petyr has a bit of a stronger hold on Sansa.. with the two of the sisters together, Petyr may not be as "powerful" in the north. he needs to get Sansa as close as him as he can get.

I'm glad they brought Gendry back though.I feel like he's gonna die soon though.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like the Bran Stark controls birds. I want that power. Someone throw me off a castle, plz.

I was not expecting Gendry to ever return. It was a pleasant surprise. "Still rowing?" made me laugh. There were a lot of lines that made me laugh, like about how the Sept of Baelor doesn't have that many windows now.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Beorn

Permabanned

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ My big worries is that, with the lack of detail this season, they won't focus at all on this issue. (When the hell would they even have time, with a zombie invasion + a War of Westeros to wage in only eight episodes left for the entire series?)

They really needed about one more season to do this story and characterization at least SOME degree of justice. Makes you wonder whether this was the showrunners' choice or HBO wanted to finish this up so they could do a bunch of spinoffs.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
^^ My big worries is that, with the lack of detail this season, they won't focus at all on this issue. (When the hell would they even have time, with a zombie invasion + a War of Westeros to wage in only eight episodes left for the entire series?)

They really needed about one more season to do this story and characterization at least SOME degree of justice. Makes you wonder whether this was the showrunners' choice or HBO wanted to finish this up so they could do a bunch of spinoffs.

Agreed. I also heard that the last season would have longer episodes. I have not found confirmation on that. I'm good with spin offs (could totally get behind a Mad King prequel) but let's finish GoT right. Not a race. I do love the idea of Sam's story being expanded because it's a good story and I like smart people.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There was a rumor at one of the Con's that the final six episodes appearing Season 8 could run 80+ minutes apiece. That wouldn't hurt.

I just wish the characters seemed to play out more like GRRM would have probably written them.

Do we have a release date for the next book yet?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
As fun as the set pieces and team-ups have been, I really miss the character moments. I am definitely picking up what Totenkindly is putting down with regards to that Tarly moment. The sentiment rang false as hell.

Gone

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think maybe the Crows will outlive their usefulness in the show (if any survive what is coming) due to a few potential factors (and correct me if I miss something since I was not a book reader):

- Their most direct purpose was to protect against Wildlings. But Jon let the largest gathering of Wildlings through the Wall already to settle more south and help defend the Wall, and many of the Wildlings were already killed and subsumed into the Night King's army. No more Wilding threat, really.

- The Wall existed to protect against the army of the Undead. but if the resolution of this story involves the ending of the Night King's purpose/threat, so that is now also resolved... there remains no real use for the Wall or for the Crows to man it.

If the Crows are wiped out and/or disbanded with "time served" as the rubric, then Sam Tarly will be able to return to his life before he went north and took the black.

This might not be what happens, but it seems the most obvious and easiest way for Sam to be freed of his Crow oath.... although I still feel like the idea of him having developed the opening sequence and recording the history as he was aware of it is probably something he does as well... I mean, just like his namesake Samwise Gamgee, who finished writing the Red Book of Westmarch after the Third Age ended when he returned to Hobbiton.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Last season and this season especially have really redeemed what initially seemed to be a sadistic meandering slog of a story. I always held out a futile hope that the story would arc appropriately; that characters would change into better versions of themselves; that events would begin coming together for a grand and emotionally rewarding climax- and by Jove that seems to be occurring! Go HBO! Thank you for saving the story from its author.

The hound has been redeemed.
Sansa has been redeemed (kinda maybe?).
Tyrion has been redeemed.
Jon Snow has been redeemed.
Sam has been redeemed.
It even looks as though Danyris might be redeemed through Jon's example.
Arya hasn't quite yet but it appears as though she might finally be stepping in it courtesy of LF.
Bran has been redeemed.
Jamie has (long) been redeemed.
Cersi is still clinging to her old drum (likely why she's the least likeable character currently).
Dragonstone dude Jorl or whatever has been redeemed.

It really feels like True Detective all over again- which was another show I really hated until the very end, at which point I changed my mind and ranked it among my favorites.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Last season and this season especially have really redeemed what initially seemed to be a sadistic meandering slog of a story. I always held out a futile hope that the story would arc appropriately; that characters would change into better versions of themselves; that events would begin coming together for a grand and emotionally rewarding climax- and by Jove that seems to be occurring! Go HBO! Thank you for saving the story from its author.

The hound has been redeemed.
Sansa has been redeemed (kinda maybe?).
Tyrion has been redeemed.
Jon Snow has been redeemed.
Sam has been redeemed.
It even looks as though Danyris might be redeemed through Jon's example.
Arya hasn't quite yet but it appears as though she might finally be stepping in it courtesy of LF.
Bran has been redeemed.
Jamie has (long) been redeemed.
Cersi is still clinging to her old drum (likely why she's the least likeable character currently).
Dragonstone dude Jorl or whatever has been redeemed.

Disney would be proud.

It really feels like True Detective all over again- which was another show I really hated until the very end, at which point I changed my mind and ranked it among my favorites.

Which season?

EDIT: I will guess first season, since that was the one that was heavily darkly existential until the very last minute, then had the hopeful little twist you seem to appreciate.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Disney would be proud. Which season? EDIT: I will guess first season, since that was the one that was heavily darkly existential until the very last minute, then had the hopeful little twist you seem to appreciate.
Tolkien would also be proud.
And yes I meant the first season. The second was so bad I often forget it exists.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tolkien would also be proud.

Not really.

Tolkien was consistent in his story telling and wasn't afraid of darkness even after victories were won. Slapping happy arcs on the trail end of a TV series is little more than sloppy writing.

And yes I meant the first season. The second was so bad I often forget it exists.

Well, we agree about that.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Not really. Tolkien was consistent in his story telling and wasn't afraid of darkness even after victories were won. Slapping happy arcs on the trail end of a TV series is little more than sloppy writing.
Well, we agree about that.
The entire point of true detective season one was that pessimism was no more or less logical than optimism- a point game of thrones has thankfully adopted as well. Slapping a happy ending onto a story arc makes no more or less sense than slapping a miserable one on there. This show has had more miserable ends to arcs overall than it has happy ones, so this natural balance reaffirmed at the end feels more like good writing than bad.