User Tag List

First 891011122060110 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I might be the only one here, but I read the first book and a bit of the second one, and while they were un-put-downable, the story was a tad too much for me to handle. I just felt like it was unnecessarily cruel and violent -- like the author was getting pleasure out of shocking the readers. I know it adds to the history and culture of the world and a lot of it is very convincing, the real world is like that, etc., but when I read it I just felt manipulated. It's hard to explain. Maybe I'm just squeamish.

And... I didn't find the female characters convincing, or the kids' viewpoints...

Guess I'm not the intended audience
    4w5 sp/sx EII

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I might be the only one here, but I read the first book and a bit of the second one, and while they were un-put-downable, the story was a tad too much for me to handle. I just felt like it was unnecessarily cruel and violent -- like the author was getting pleasure out of shocking the readers. I know it adds to the history and culture of the world and a lot of it is very convincing, the real world is like that, etc., but when I read it I just felt manipulated. It's hard to explain. Maybe I'm just squeamish.

And... I didn't find the female characters convincing, or the kids' viewpoints...

Guess I'm not the intended audience
    That's funny - the grimness/"realism" of the books is their main draw for me. His writing style is a little too droning for me, so there needs to be some pull to force yourself through the pages.
    -end of thread-

I hate the Cersei chapters. I would just skip over them if the goings on at king's landing weren't so central.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    That's funny - the grimness/"realism" of the books is their main draw for me. His writing style is a little too droning for me, so there needs to be some pull to force yourself through the pages.
    I like this too. I haven't read the books, but I gathered that a lot of typical fantasy elements are things of the past in this world (like magic). That many don't even believe in it?

But I'm looking forward to something happening with those dragons or what's beyond the Wall.. It's cool when stuff like that is rare.

Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I hate the Cersei chapters. I would just skip over them if the goings on at king's landing weren't so central.
    Yea they suck hard.

I can't remember which one, but one of the later books (book 4 maybe) is mostly Cersei chapters, and I remember having a real tough time getting through it.

I'm interested to see how the show handles the Martell's and the Folks from Sunspear (Dorn).

One of the things I liked most about the books is the haphazard and random nature with which misfortunes befall the main characters.

The realism, the fact that G.R.R.M. doesn't spoon feed points to the reader, and the general complexity of the intrigue involved really drew me into the series.

Season 2 starts tonight!

Get stoked.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    STFU

just saw the premiere last night. found the whole first scene of Dany kinda bad actingy and drawn out, although jorah mormont eyefucking her is always pretty funny. i've read the books and have heard rumors that they are going to be changing some stuff, which i am alright with. the dude who plays stannis seems to be doing a pretty good job. it seems the CGI for the second season isn't that great. the direwolf scene was kinda syfy channel-ish in budget.

interested to see how they handle the theon story throughout the series. shit gets pretty dark for that dude.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm interested to see how the show handles the Martell's and the Folks from Sunspear (Dorn).
    yeah the dornish storyline seems to be getting set up for fuckin sweetness for book 6. i wanna see the sand snakes fuck some shit up.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

Anew Leaf

Was that scene between Cersei and Littlefinger in the books? I didn't remember that at all... and I found it kind of annoying because Littlefinger is so contained and careful... I don't see him being that obvious about what he knows to her.

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Was that scene between Cersei and Littlefinger in the books? I didn't remember that at all... and I found it kind of annoying because Littlefinger is so contained and careful... I don't see him being that obvious about what he knows to her.
    they are definitely adding stuff to make things meatier. i wouldn't mind if they added a few more scenes of tyrion slapping joffrey around.

btw joffrey = best t.v. villain ever. fuckin love that kid. its like he was born to play that role.
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    they are definitely adding stuff to make things meatier. i wouldn't mind if they added a few more scenes of tyrion slapping joffrey around.

btw joffrey = best t.v. villain ever. fuckin love that kid. its like he was born to play that role.
    I love Tyrion.

I want his babies.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :newwink: