Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Typical Length of a Novel

So I'm writing a book called They Are Gods and I'm trying to make sure I write enough for a sufficient story. I was wondering, how many words are usually in a book aimed at a young adult/adult audience? Also, what is the average amount of chapters, or wrods per chapter?

Thanks.

Hehe.

Write as many words as necessary to tell the story and not one more.

Phantonym

That depends on the size of the font and the layout of the book. +1 to what Nic said.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I would not pay too much attention to that. write your story and make it as long as it organically grows.

If it's a short, coherent story line, you've got yourself a novella, if it goes on and on and meanders through time and space and mixes a lot of story lines, you end up with a novel. A novel goes for a broader abroach. However, there is no clear definition of length for the short story (though that one is supposed to be read in one sitting), novella or novel. It is the content and style that defines them.

If you hope to sell your book to a specific target group to primarily make some money with it, do some market research: What does the kind of story you want to write usually encompass, how long are they, who reads them and what is usually successful, etc.

If you want to write because it gives you pleasure or because you perceive it as your calling and you want to become an artist, forget about all that and follow your gut. If you don't trust your gut, you can still try to learn from some writers you admire.

By the way, I think there are a few writers on the forum who even have a little group of their own going on.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Alright then, guess I'll just go with my gut and see what my hands bring to the paper. Thanks for the advice guys

Oh, and there's a group of writers on here? What group would that be?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I think Tamske founded it. There is at least one group and/or thread for writers, of that I'm certain.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Alright then, guess I'll just go with my gut and see what my hands bring to the paper. Thanks for the advice guys

Oh, and there's a group of writers on here? What group would that be?
    I never worry about how many words constitute a novel because that would mean I would have to sit down and write it.

Sigh.... I really wish I could clone myself and make that clone an ENTJ to kick my ass and get my books (I have at least 3 in my mind) done.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Ah!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The English translation of War and Peace is between 1,440 and 1,222, but as far as I know, most people would rather read Anna Karenina, which is only 838 pages.

If Tolstoy's standards are a bit too ambitious for you, take heart that one of the best selling novelists of all time, Agatha Christie, averaged around 300 pages per novel.

Both can be taught in university literature classes.

However, going less than 250 pages seems below average.

Then again, you could write a novella instead. Like Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis or George Orwell's Animal Farm. They range between 60 and 130 pages.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Ah!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_was_...d_stormy_night
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari