• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Firearms!

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm thinking about getting a Smith and Wesson .40 cal at some point. Such as this:
13284.jpg

It'd be mainly to have for home defense and the occasional recreational firing at the gun range.

Who owns a gun(s); be it handguns, rifles, shotguns etc.? What do you have? What's your favorite?

R

RDF

.357 magnum revolver
.22 cal. semi-automatic pistol with 6" barrel (for cheap target shooting)
12 gauge shotgun for trap and skeet

I used to go to the local pistol ranges with both my ex and my current wife. I liked the .22 because I could shoot all day for pennies, and the pistol itself is very accurate. The women both liked the .357 for the simplicity of the revolver action. They fired .38 rounds with it, which reduced the kick considerably. They both liked the "big gun" feel of the .357; and as women they got more respect from other shooters at the range when they were firing the big gun.

Never fired a .40 cal, but it sounds like it would be a good size for general self-defense. It sounds like a good semi-auto middle ground between the .45 and the 9mm, I'm guessing.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Nice...

Yes, precisely. The .40 has more stopping power with the bigger caliber round, but it's not quite overkill like a .45 would be. I may end up with a 9mm though. We'll see.

H

Hate

How do you like it?

I'd recommend it. It's light. no safety. compact, but still a cannon. kickback isn't too bad and it's pretty accurate. Plus it has a good aesthetic look to it. The metal on black looks pretty good. I'd recommend it over the nine. plus everyone goes for the nine... and the like you said, it's not overkill like the .45 would be.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'd recommend it. It's light. no safety. compact, but still a cannon. kickback isn't too bad and it's pretty accurate. Plus it has a good aesthetic look to it. The metal on black looks pretty good. I'd recommend it over the nine. plus everyone goes for the nine... and the like you said, it's not overkill like the .45 would be.

Got it. You said there's no safety?? Is that common? I thought basically all guns that aren't outdated had safety.

R

RDF

[...] You said there's no safety?? Is that common? I thought basically all guns that aren't outdated had safety.

I'll provide "the long explanation" on safeties. I know you're interested in a semi-automatic, but to cover the subject you really have to start by talking about safeties on revolvers...

I think most *revolvers* come without safeties. You can buy some revolvers with safeties (I think), but most people wouldn't bother. An uncocked revolver has a trigger pull of something like 8-12 pounds across an inch of travel (a so-called "double action" pull). It takes quite a lot of effort to fire an uncocked revolver; it's not something you would normally do accidentally. It's only when you cock the revolver that it becomes hair-trigger (a "single-action" pull) and more prone to accidental discharge.

So basically with revolvers, you consider a loaded but uncocked pistol to be "safe" for concealed-carry purposes: When it's uncocked, it's set for the heavier "double-action" pull.

I knew a woman cop who kept a loaded but uncocked .38 revolver in her purse. She felt perfectly safe with it like that. She said that the only thing she had to watch out for was trying to grab it out of her purse in a hurry and finding that it was hooked on something. If she tried to yank it out without seeing what it was caught on, she might get an accidental discharge that way. (If the gun got caught in her purse, she would just reach into the purse and fire from inside the purse, if it came to that.)

Again, you're not buying a revolver; you're looking at a *semi-automatic.* But the same principles apply.

As for the semi-auto you're looking at, it's a Smith and Wesson "Sigma" model, which is so-called "Double Action Only." It functions like a revolver with a heavier "double-action" trigger pull, so that just like a revolver you won't need a safety. (That's handy for concealed carry, because safeties get hung up on clothes and holsters when drawing.)

For more on the types of semi-autos and their safeties (and the kind of action they use), go to the following link and scroll halfway down to the section entitled "Autoloader Action Types." Yours is under "Double Action Only" (the Smith and Wesson Sigma): http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/ccw/selection.htm

Anyway, if you want to get the Sigma, you may want to check one out at gun store to see if you're comfortable with that trigger pull. Since it's "Double Action Only," it may have a heavier trigger pull than the military M9 (if that's what you're used to).

Incidentally, as for firing at a pistol range, I never use a safety with either a revolver or a semi-automatic. At a pistol range, you're either firing (unsafe) or you completely clear the weapon and open the cylinder (revolvers) or lock the slide back (semi-auto) if you want to put it down. Most semi-auto safeties don't even work when the slide is back.

R

RDF

I've been thinking that this thing looks like a lot of fun, even if it's kind of a toy.

I never got into carbines. Wiki article on the subject says that military folks like it for in-close action, like house-to-house searches: A pistol won't penetrate body armor but a carbine will. And I suppose there are other chores where one might want to use something halfway between a pistol and a rifle.

I wanna get one of these eventually.

Lol. Not sure how much a silencer is going to quiet down an M1. But I guess it depends on what or whom you're trying to kill... :)

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I very much like the concept of the Sub2k.

Why?
Considerably easier than aiming a standard pistol.
Takes standard pistol mags (such as the glock 30+) from a variety of manufacturers.
Cheap.
Compact - stowable, if need be.

Does the job:
- HD against the typical assailant (see CAUTION, below)
- folds easily into a backpack to be hidden from public view as to not scare people, good for hiking (or in a disaster).

bad:
- takes time to fold open
- slow, heavy pistol rounds penetrate through more layers of interior household drywall than do high powered (but small caliber) rifle rounds such as the .223. keep in mind your household and surrounding areas.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
@ OP

Check out the Smith and Wesson M&P. Very nice pistol from S&W, adjustable for different hand sizes, handles nicely.

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
I wouldn't so much consider it on the toy end of the spectrum because it's a carbine... but because it's a Kel-Tec.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'll provide "the long explanation" on safeties. I know you're interested in a semi-automatic, but to cover the subject you really have to start by talking about safeties on revolvers...

I think most *revolvers* come without safeties. You can buy some revolvers with safeties (I think), but most people wouldn't bother. An uncocked revolver has a trigger pull of something like 8-12 pounds across an inch of travel (a so-called "double action" pull). It takes quite a lot of effort to fire an uncocked revolver; it's not something you would normally do accidentally. It's only when you cock the revolver that it becomes hair-trigger (a "single-action" pull) and more prone to accidental discharge.

So basically with revolvers, you consider a loaded but uncocked pistol to be "safe" for concealed-carry purposes: When it's uncocked, it's set for the heavier "double-action" pull.

I knew a woman cop who kept a loaded but uncocked .38 revolver in her purse. She felt perfectly safe with it like that. She said that the only thing she had to watch out for was trying to grab it out of her purse in a hurry and finding that it was hooked on something. If she tried to yank it out without seeing what it was caught on, she might get an accidental discharge that way. (If the gun got caught in her purse, she would just reach into the purse and fire from inside the purse, if it came to that.)

Again, you're not buying a revolver; you're looking at a *semi-automatic.* But the same principles apply.

As for the semi-auto you're looking at, it's a Smith and Wesson "Sigma" model, which is so-called "Double Action Only." It functions like a revolver with a heavier "double-action" trigger pull, so that just like a revolver you won't need a safety. (That's handy for concealed carry, because safeties get hung up on clothes and holsters when drawing.)

For more on the types of semi-autos and their safeties (and the kind of action they use), go to the following link and scroll halfway down to the section entitled "Autoloader Action Types." Yours is under "Double Action Only" (the Smith and Wesson Sigma): http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/ccw/selection.htm

Anyway, if you want to get the Sigma, you may want to check one out at gun store to see if you're comfortable with that trigger pull. Since it's "Double Action Only," it may have a heavier trigger pull than the military M9 (if that's what you're used to).

Incidentally, as for firing at a pistol range, I never use a safety with either a revolver or a semi-automatic. At a pistol range, you're either firing (unsafe) or you completely clear the weapon and open the cylinder (revolvers) or lock the slide back (semi-auto) if you want to put it down. Most semi-auto safeties don't even work when the slide is back.
Nice. Thanks for this info. I'm pretty much a handgun n00b.

Anyways, I've settled on this, versus the S&W .40 (due to a lot of recommendations from experienced gun users at a forum elsewhere).

Ruger P95 9mm:

18165.jpg

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
A bunch of seasoned gun owners advising I go with a Ruger over the Sigma S&W series... for the price.

Not that the Sigma is bad (according to them), but apparently it's not as durable/reliable. There seemed to be a lot of backing the P95.

R

RDF

Nice. Thanks for this info. I'm pretty much a handgun n00b.

Anyways, I've settled on this, versus the S&W .40 (due to a lot of recommendations from experienced gun users at a forum elsewhere).

Sounds good. I checked around some gun review websites, and everyone seems to have a very high opinion of the Ruger P95. Everyone gave it high marks for reliability and its ability to take a beating.

Of course, a 9mm puts you on the smaller end of the self-defense guns. But you can offset that by using high-power "overpressure ammo" (+P and +P+ ammo) to give it nearly the same punch as a .40 cal. In other words when you're at the pistol range just playing around, you can fire any old cheap standard 9mm ammo to save money and get a normal kick. Then when you get home and set your gun up for self-defense, load it with the expensive +P and +P+ overpressure ammo for that extra punch and stopping power.

Massad Ayoob (one of the big writing/research names in the handgun field) says the following about 9mm ammo for self-defense purposes:

The 9mm round now acknowledged to work the best is a 124-grain to 127-grain high tech hollow point at a velocity of 1250 feet per second. NYPD, with some 30,000 officers carrying this type of ammo, the Speer Gold Dot +P 124-grain, is happy with the performance of its 9mm service pistols. Ditto the Orlando, Florida, Police Department, which uses the Winchester Ranger 127-grain +P+ in their standard issue 9mm SIGs.
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob93.html

The gun review websites that I visited specifically mentioned that the Ruger P95 tolerates overpressure ammo very well due to its high durability.

I love my glock 23.

Glocks are nice. Nice to look at, and nice to fire.