Just wondering what everyone's take is on LGBT athletes.
1. I find across most of Canada and the United States the issues with discrimination, hate crimes towards lgbt athletes are still prevelant.
2. Some say people should just focus on the sport and thats that. I think your personal life and sports are one in the same.
3. alot of athletes on scholarships keep their sexuality hidden to stay on teams and coaches aswell. More so in the United States.
4. There is the issue of group/ team dynamics aswell. some say the dynamic either grows because of trust or weakens due to homophobia. ( depends on where you live)
5. Also its hard for lgbt athletes to identify with regular lgbt groups due to stereotypes, interests and activities not the same or revolving around sports( which many athletes lives do)
6. Also do you think there are stereotypes that prevent lgbt athletes from coming out, or even continuing participating in sports??
7. I've seen this as a major issue throughout the U.S and in Canadian clubs its taboo subject where its always shoved under the rug. Just wondering other peoples take on it. There isnt alot of research done on it, I've read all the scholarly texts in my university library. I also find it interesting because there arent really any lectures done on this topic in the physical education department either. When I know there are alot of lgbt people in the department.
8. I see it in many ways as the last wall in lgbt discrimination and hate crimes. Mainly due to gender stereotypes, sports traditions and the seperated world of sports.
I'd love to hear your opinions on sports/ gym/ lgbt etc etc..