User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LGBT Athletes and Sport

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

what counts as an athlete? I play recreational sports, not even close to competitive level, if that counts (soccer and volleyball)
    -end of thread-

I don't think we should lump LGB with T when it comes to athletics.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Resident Apple Hoarder Array Kriash's Avatar

I think the LGB should be a non-issue. If you're a gay athlete and you want to come out to your team, and to the public, then I think that it should be fine. I don't understand why it isn't now. But I guess you'll always have those people who take issue with it, whether it be a fan, or a teammate, or just some random idiot. But at the same time, I don't think athletes should come out just to make a statement. If they don't want to come out, that's fine with me too, what business is it of mine?

As far as the transgender thing goes, I feel really mixed on it. I feel like even trans-people should be able to participate in the sport of the gender they live as, but maybe have stipulations based on what hormone levels can be? Perhaps a larger scale for both men and women on what is acceptable for both trans and cis athletes?I think it would be terrible to tell a trans-man or trans-woman they couldn't compete, or had to compete as their birth sex just because of potential advantages. But obviously it would be much more difficult to regulate... I don't know. It's a really tough issue.