User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Do You Like Going To The Movies Alone?

I love going alone and I do it a lot when I have time. (I didn't even realize some people won't go alone until a friend of mine told me so.)

I like going alone because I can get truly absorbed in a film. I'm an editor and that plays into it too. I also don't generally like reading in-depth movie reviews as a way to pick a film. I have to do that if I'm picking a film for someone else to see with me. Then I'm worrying about whether they liked it. It's just better going alone. I even enjoy the bad movies, cos I get to pick them to pieces and think about the things I would have done differently.

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    5w6 sp/so
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    I also don't generally like reading in-depth movie reviews as a way to pick a film.
    I've never placed a whole lot of stock in movie reviews but I know some people who swear by them. I prefer to just trust my own gut feeling. Usually that's worked for me as I enjoy about 80-90% of the movies I've seen. I am pretty easy to entertain I guess. After all, the review is just one person's opinion. If I went solely by reviews, I'd miss out on a lot of movies I would have liked and I would have seen some that I thought were disappointing. Now if the majority of reviews are positive or negative, then I might start paying attention.
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Neutral Good

yes! i always get the couches. sit and sprawl and surround myself with food i smuggled in, asian style.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

I don't get the difference. It's nice to hold hands on the way in and out and share popcorn. But the movie is a movie and I can always find someone later to talk to about it.

Permabanned Array
    9w1 sx/sp

Yes. I've gone to movies alone for years, and sometimes I prefer it to going with someone.

No moss growing on me Array Giggly's Avatar
    2 sx/so

I've only done it once and that was because I was absolutely dying to see the movie a 2nd time and everyone knew I had already seen it and would call me a loser. lol

Otherwise I'm not too fond of that or of dining by myself, but I am going to change that attitude pronto. I'm missing out on too much waiting around for the people to not be busy or to save up enough money.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I go alone probably 75% of the time.
    Yeah -- me too. I don't really go to the theater often, but it's very rare that I go with someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I've spent my whole life doing things alone, easily; and now I'd like to actually have people my life whom I share experiences with. I've done the "alone" thing more than enough, and I'm bored and tired of it.
    This. I'm not particularly uncomfortable doing anything I'd want to do alone, because it's the way I've always done it. It feels weird and somewhat awkward for me to do things like go to movies or fly on a plane with people... even though doing those things alone is nonstandard. So doing things alone doesn't bother me, but I'm just sort of tired of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I also like using the bathroom alone.
    And I thought that *I* was antisocial.

173 so/sx

I like the feeling of sharing the movie experience with others. I like occasionally seeing how my friends react to the movies; I like laughing, gasping, jumping from surprise, etc, in response to the movie, with them. And most importantly, I like talking about the movie afterwards - analyzing it, explaining likes/dislikes. i.e. Reviewing it.

Sigh - makes me really want to go watch something, just thinking about it.
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

hell no.

I think it depends actually...but here everyone goes to the movies in large groups or with a girlfriend or something...I'd feel awkward if I'd go alone.

Tier 1 Member Array LunaLuminosity's Avatar
    7w6 so/sp

Yes, I would like to be able to go to the movies alone. Too bad the one time I asked to do that, I wasn't allowed to because "only weirdos do that." But it doesn't make much of a difference to me anyway. I can't really interact with anyone during the movie. I suppose it is interesting to hear the people's reactions to the movie, but I can do that with anyone who is in the theater. And it's actually kind of better for me not to be too close to anyone because sometimes I can't help but burst out laughing about something that was only mildly amusing to 99% of the moviegoers

So, I like to enjoy the movie for the movie, and then seek others who have seen that movie for that whole "connection" part. I don't see the connection in the theater itself.