User Tag List

First 23456 Last

I live in a big city where people are incredibly busy (or make themselves incredibly busy) and you often have to plan nights out weeks in advance. So if I would have to search for someone to go with me every single time I want to see a movie in the cinema... TOO MUCH STRESS!

I don't get the "I look stupid" part, why would you look stupid? Why would anybody care if you're alone? And if you do look stupid, why would you care? I don't think I'll ever understand this. I have so many things to fear from, why create even more barriers for myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Maybe for extroverts, when they start digging into themselves and trying to build a solid self core, it is very empowering to walk to the world alone without any need for other people, and to find joy and fulfillment in have that "alone" time. It's another form of self-expansion and empowerment.
    Spot on!

Yes, I like going to the movies alone. I also like using the bathroom alone.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Yeah. A little embarrassing walking in alone like some lovable loser, but after that pure marmalade.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    See, I prefer going to a movie alone to going to a concert alone. I don't mind a bit being at a concert alone when the band is playing and I'm jumping up and down screaming. In fact, sometimes I prefer not being with anyone I know because I lose my inhibitions more. That part of it is great, and I've had some of my best concert experiences alone, but that's mainly based on how much I enjoyed the band. But I do feel awkward when I'm standing there alone in between bands or before the main act or whatever and every single other person is with someone. I do chat with strangers occasionally, but often I don't really feel like it, and then I feel really awkward.
    Yeah, that part can be awkward. I think the desire to see a band I like live wins out. I don't know enough people who like the same music I do, or who like to go to shows as much. When I had a job & the funds, I would go to a show almost as much as once a week. However, I maybe go to the movies twice a year on my own accord, because there are far less films I am interested in seeing. Half the ones I want to see require a drive also, because they tend to be limited release. So that makes bringing another person along to make it a full outing appealing.

Being alone does let you get fully absorbed in the music more though, and I suppose that is true of movies also. When I'm with people, they're always surprised to see this usually reserved, calm person shout & dance & jump during the concert .

----

I was thinking a bit more about the emotional reaction aspect of watching movies also. My INFJ bf tells me it makes him laugh to see/hear his mom laugh. I've been that way with my sister & dad - they sometimes laugh at unusual things, and it almost helps me see the humor in it.

Again, I think that's part of sharing the experience for some. Sure, you may not be alone in a theatre & may still get the effect of other people's reactions, but family/friends' reactions are going to affect you more. You are sharing the emotional experience, even if not interacting. At the same moment you are laughing or tearing up or in suspense, or whatever. Even if you don't discuss it afterwards, it happened. I realize this is not a significant enough bonding experience to greatly impact the experience if you decide to go alone though (and at times may be unwanted as it can be distracting), but it is one added benefit of company.

I've always been a loner, so I think it's an opposite revelation for me, that the company of others can be valuable in itself, without any profound exchange required.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    yupp

I would be more open to it if it wasn't 12 dollars a person. I usually go maybe once a year and get vip seats so I can get drunk while watching the movie. It's more expensive especially since the bar is pretty pricey but once a year might aswell. And I usually go with people, now I love watching movies alone at home, but I'm paying 8 dollars a month for netflix so damn straight I'm gonna watch movies.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

I love going to the movies alone. I love going with others as well, but certain films I just want to see by myself. I go to concerts alone from time to time as well. Especially if I'm stressing out, one jaunt to the movies on my own and I come out feeling totally chilled out and ready to take on the next thing.

We have an old movie theater here that has matinees during the week for $2. One day my fella and I saw three movies in a row (The Reader, Milk, and Slumgdog Millionaire), smuggled in our drinks and snacks in my purse after buying them from Big Lots, and got a hamburger at the joint next door between shows. All together it was less than $15 a piece for the whole day. The seats aren't the fancy 'lounge' types of seats they have now, and a lot of people go there in their pajama pants, but we love it. We're both poor, cheap bastards and that place is like friggin' heaven.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    Yes. If the other person doesn't enjoy the movie we are watching it affects me emotionally, it lessens the experience for me. So I rather go on my own and make my own mind up.
    Yes, I prefer watching alone for that reason. Unless its a movie my companion and I are seeing a second time because we both enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Although that seems to be a pretty commonly shared opinion, I've never understood what actual purpose bringing someone else to the movies with you serves. The entire setting of a movie theater is pretty impersonal, and for the duration of the film you aren't, or shouldn't be at the very least, interacting with that person or anyone else. Also, I thought perhaps it was due to wanting to discuss the movie with someone that would explain this, but if you and someone else see the same movie at different dates, you've still come to take part in the same experience. Is it that insecurity of giving the outward appearance of a loner that sparks this? Either way, I wouldn't exactly consider a movie to be the way to enjoy someone else's company.
    My thoughts exactly. Why is there such a stigma associated with going to the movies alone? I've done it a few times and felt kind of uncomfortable like people were staring at me like I'm some friendless loser. Oh well, I sucked it up and went alone anyway.

Why are movies common for first dates? So you don't have to talk much, yet spend time together? If you really want to get to know someone on a first date, I'd opt for a romantic restaurant or someplace where there's more opportunites for conversation.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Why is there such a stigma associated with going to the movies alone? I've done it a few times and felt kind of uncomfortable like people were staring at me like I'm some friendless loser.
    I've felt a little bit of that going to concerts alone, but only once or twice. I've never felt it with the movies, maybe because I've been going to the movies alone since I was ten years old (I saw "Home Alone" way too many times, a memory that I'm still conflicted about and haunted by). When it comes to movies, I just don't give a shit about what anyone may or may not be thinking about me being there alone, and really, I don't think others actually notice all that much.

I don't get why someone would be a loser going to the movies alone, does not compute. There was a big, rotund fella who came to a trivia night at a sports bar my Improv group and I used to frequent after rehearsals. People were giving this guy such smack when he walked in, but he kicked everyone's ass at trivia that night. He called himself "Harley Man" and he was a god in that joint from then on out. Same thing with the rare peeps I've seen going to karaoke nights alone, hella respect.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

I go alone probably 75% of the time. I don't like to have to try to find someone to go whenever I want to go, and besides, I'll have to negotiate what movie to see, what time to go, blergh. I also like to do two at a time, and not a lot of people are up for that. I really value seeing a movie in the theater, too...I think movies are a communal experience and I love that vibe of everyone gasping together or laughing together. It's kind of a solitary group experience, if you will. It kind of bums me out that so many people watch movies on the internet. It's like listening to a symphony on a crackly transistor radio with crappy headphones.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari