First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Again, I totally get that. So is the whole insistence of bringing someone else along to allow for the event to lead into something else? If so, I can kinda understand that as well. But if your intentions are simply to see the movie and then return home, I just don't see why having someone else along would matter. The fact that some people would say that seeing a movie alone would make them look/feel foolish just seems totally absurd, but yet there's a huge social stigma tagged with doing any activity alone publicly. To me it all just sounds like delusion and insecurity.
    Pretty much yeah. Since I prefer to watch movies at home (even with people, for the aforementioned reason of being able to talk - and you know, cheap snacks ), the consideration of going alone doesn't even come up much for me. I only go to a theatre when someone else invites me. I'm a total homebody and being able to do stuff at home usually appeals to me.

Now, as for doing stuff alone in public, I can very much enjoy it & don't feel a stigma. I like to go to concerts alone, for example. Some of the most fun shows I've been to were ones I went alone to. I rarely end up spending the whole time alone anyway, as being alone makes you very approachable & I always end up talking to someone. Since I'm not one to initiate, it actually is a good way to meet strangers I'd otherwise not interact with, but that is not my motive for going alone.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I go to the movies alone sometimes. It's not about socializing, it's about I WANT TO SEE THIS FILM RIGHT NOW IN THEATER. Some films are better in theater than on DVD, or I want to see it sooner rather than later, and I have no problem what-so-ever going alone. In fact, it pretty much assures me that no one is going to talk to me if it's a film I really want to study or lose myself in.

I go to the movies sometimes with other people, but I don't see why going alone would be a big deal. In some cases it could be preferable (i.e. totally fine if going with friends or a date if the entire purpose is social activity, or at least if the person won't interrupt the film with unnecessary talking....it totally sucks if you go with some ADD chatterbox who will ruin your experience of the film.)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I wonder how much this has to do with how seriously you take film. My ex, the film collector, who is ESFJ and a stereotypically social type, would sometimes also go see films alone for the same reasons I stated.

Phantonym

Yes, I do. And actually prefer it most of the time. That way I don't have to worry about whether the people I'm going with would like to see the same movie I'd like to see, or whether they'd have the time or money to even go to the movies. I just go whenever I feel like and see whatever I feel like seeing. And I really like to ponder over the movie on my own for a while, so going alone means that I won't feel pressured to form an opinion on something and discuss things I haven't had the chance to think about yet.

Even the thought of going anywhere alone seemed awful when I was younger and suffered from quite severe social anxiety. After I finally got over that, the sense of liberation was such a relief that I usually remind myself of that every time I do end up going to the movies alone. I am victorious.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I go to the movies alone sometimes. It's not about socializing, it's about I WANT TO SEE THIS FILM RIGHT NOW IN THEATER. Some films are better in theater than on DVD, or I want to see it sooner rather than later, and I have no problem what-so-ever going alone. In fact, it pretty much assures me that no one is going to talk to me if it's a film I really want to study or lose myself in.

I go to the movies sometimes with other people, but I don't see why going alone would be a big deal. In some cases it could be preferable (i.e. totally fine if going with friends or a date if the entire purpose is social activity, or at least if the person won't interrupt the film with unnecessary talking....it totally sucks if you go with some ADD chatterbox who will ruin your experience of the film.)
    This. If I really want to see it, I don't mind going alone. I love movies and it allows me to really take it in. There are other occasions where I agree to see some mediocre picture with friends or a date when the idea of going out together and doing something takes priority.

Also, there was a phase when I had no tv and lived in a town with cheap cinemas, so I went there pretty regularly to quench my thirst for entertainment ...usually alone.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonym View Post
    Yes, I do. And actually prefer it most of the time. That way I don't have to worry about whether the people I'm going with would like to see the same movie I'd like to see, or whether they'd have the time or money to even go to the movies. I just go whenever I feel like and see whatever I feel like seeing. And I really like to ponder over the movie on my own for a while, so going alone means that I won't feel pressured to form an opinion on something and discuss things I haven't had the chance to think about yet.

Even the thought of going anywhere alone seemed awful when I was younger and suffered from quite severe social anxiety. After I finally got over that, the sense of liberation was such a relief that I usually remind myself of that every time I do end up going to the movies alone. I am victorious.
    Me too! I feel empowered by doing things alone! Like I remember the first time I ate in a restaurant that wasn't fast food alone, I felt really awkward like everyone was looking at me (I was only about 19 at the time) but then through having waitressing jobs and getting older I noticed that people eat in restaurants by themselves all the time, often bring a book or even work, or just enjoy their peace and quiet. My grandfather used to do it, as a matter of fact.

I went to the movies alone for the first time in my twenties, because it was hellishly hot outside in Vegas that day (as it is for a solid three months or more of the year) and I wanted to be in air conditioning. I think my ex was a good motivator for me to learn to do that, because he did it (with him being so into film both as a hobby and as a way to earn money, and having interest in films that none of his friends wanted to see) ...I realized it was a wonderfully liberating thing, and I've seen at least two or three movies alone in the past year.

I feel empowered doing things by myself.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, I'm sure changes that happen as one ages has something to do with it. Sometimes people are compelled to branch out and/or expand who they are.

I've spent my whole life doing things alone, easily; and now I'd like to actually have people my life whom I share experiences with. I've done the "alone" thing more than enough, and I'm bored and tired of it.

Maybe for extroverts, when they start digging into themselves and trying to build a solid self core, it is very empowering to walk to the world alone without any need for other people, and to find joy and fulfillment in have that "alone" time. It's another form of self-expansion and empowerment.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IsFJ

While I seldom go to the movies - I prefer some of the perks of watching a DVD - when I do go, it's usually with someone. It feels a bit lonely being in a dark, air-conditioned room with a bunch of people I don't know. Of course, depending on whom you choose as a partner, you run a few "risks", which extend to pretty much any variation of the shared movie-watching experience:

* Your companion might have found the movie silly and clichéd, and you end up feeling kinda bad if you liked it;
    * You might not have understood very well the "point" of the movie, which makes the after-movie conversation pretty awkward;
    * Your preoccupation with whether or not your companion is enjoying the experience can distract you from actually watching the movie.

And, of course, there's an arm to tug if things get a bit scary. I'm glad I had someone with me when I watched Black Swan.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Pretty much yeah. Since I prefer to watch movies at home (even with people, for the aforementioned reason of being able to talk - and you know, cheap snacks ), the consideration of going alone doesn't even come up much for me. I only go to a theatre when someone else invites me. I'm a total homebody and being able to do stuff at home usually appeals to me.

Now, as for doing stuff alone in public, I can very much enjoy it & don't feel a stigma. I like to go to concerts alone, for example. Some of the most fun shows I've been to were ones I went alone to. I rarely end up spending the whole time alone anyway, as being alone makes you very approachable & I always end up talking to someone. Since I'm not one to initiate, it actually is a good way to meet strangers I'd otherwise not interact with, but that is not my motive for going alone.
    See, I prefer going to a movie alone to going to a concert alone. I don't mind a bit being at a concert alone when the band is playing and I'm jumping up and down screaming. In fact, sometimes I prefer not being with anyone I know because I lose my inhibitions more. That part of it is great, and I've had some of my best concert experiences alone, but that's mainly based on how much I enjoyed the band. But I do feel awkward when I'm standing there alone in between bands or before the main act or whatever and every single other person is with someone. I do chat with strangers occasionally, but often I don't really feel like it, and then I feel really awkward.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

I've gone to the movies alone more than once. If there's no one that I would want to go with available and I want to see the movie, why not? It's not a particularly social outing.

OrangeAppled's comments made me chuckle because the INFP ex would never dream of going to the movie theatre alone, but he does/has gone to concerts alone... which is something I won't do.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke