User Tag List

First 12

Thread: DWTS

RDF

Default The female contestants

Just to see if anyone else was watching tonight.

Tonight the six female contestants danced with their ballroom pro partners. Most of the women have some kind of "story" to them and don't simply fall into the category of being young hot beauties. The exception might be Shannon Elizabeth, though one could argue that she's been around long enough and has enough working credits that she's an established name and more than just a young hottie.

FWIW, in past seasons DWTS used to include young blonde bombshells in the line-up of female participants, but they always seemed to get voted off in the first couple weeks (presumably because housewives are a big part of the voting audience and they don't really relate to the young blonde actresses.) Season 4 in particular stood out when the first three contestants voted off the show were supermodel Paulina Porizkova, Miss USA Shandi Finnessey, and blonde beauty talk show host Leeza Gibbons.

As a result, on Season 5 DWTS included a lot of female contestants with strong acting credits or a unique "story" or a strong music/dancing background, and that considerably leveled the playing field. The first contestant voted off was the lone supermodel (Josie Maran), but the next three contestants voted off were men.

This season (Season 6), the women all have pretty strong "stories" for the most part. Also, none of the contestants will be voted off until the second week, presumably to allow the contestants to appear more than once on-stage and try to gain some traction with the audience before the first eliminations. On the second week the female and male contestants will be judged as two separate groups and one contestant from each group will be voted off.

Anyway, that's some background on the selection of the female contestants, in case anyone is interested.

MBTI
    INFJ

Thanks, Fineline, for the background info. I taped the ladies but haven't watched them yet.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

So, I watched last night and I'm watching tonight. Fortunately they replay stuff so much I may as well have watched last week too. I'm enjoying it. Predictably, out of the dudes I enjoyed Penn the most, although the football guy was pretty hot (and good at dancing too, I guess). Adam Carolla is fun to watch also but I think he'll probably get voted off tonight. He just lacks the energy, although that in itself is kind of fun, too. Watching some sardonic lazy guy try to dance and smile and all is entertaining. What can I say?

So, in short: THANKS A LOT, FineLine. :rolleyes2:

The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ

I was glad it was Penn who went home. I felt bad for Monica because she was really trying but she just didn't have the moves - too stiff. Kristi is going to be great, and I hope the Chilean guy stays around because he's HOT. And with no Maxim the show is kind of hurting for hot guys. Tony's okay, but Max,

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I liked Penn.

The Chilean guy is eh. I was hoping he would go home.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    So, I watched last night and I'm watching tonight. Fortunately they replay stuff so much I may as well have watched last week too. I'm enjoying it. Predictably, out of the dudes I enjoyed Penn the most, although the football guy was pretty hot (and good at dancing too, I guess). Adam Carolla is fun to watch also but I think he'll probably get voted off tonight. He just lacks the energy, although that in itself is kind of fun, too. Watching some sardonic lazy guy try to dance and smile and all is entertaining. What can I say?

So, in short: THANKS A LOT, FineLine. :rolleyes2:

LOL! I warned you that Penn and Carolla weren't going to be lasting long. Penn is gone, and Carolla won't be lasting too much longer.

Carolla's genuinely funny, and the audience would probably like to keep him around a while for entertainment reasons. But it's hard to justify keeping a weak dancer around while voting off much stronger dancers. The privilege of staying on a bit longer than they really rate only belongs to the oldtimers with the big names. (Priscilla Presley will probably last a bit longer than she really rates, partly out of respect for her name and her connections, and partly because she naturally has a big demographic backing her--the older crowd.)

Carolla appeared on the Letterman show last week, and he mentioned that DWTS is giving them six hours per day of studio time for practice, but that he himself is only practicing two hours a day. That's what really separates the good dancers from the mediocre dancers. The best dancers are using their full six hours and even practicing at home; the mediocre dancers are only showing up long enough to learn the routine.

I'm pretty sure that's what happened to Monica Seles--not enough practice. She's a top athlete, and the athletes usually are in the top ranks of the competitors. They have the self-discipline and the conditioning to pick up the dance quickly. But Monica did pretty poorly, and she didn't look particularly surprised or broken up when they voted her off tonight. So I'm guessing that she just wasn't putting in the practice time.

I'm curious to see how the football guy (Jason Taylor) does. He's obviously putting in the practice time. He just needs to demonstrate a bit more personality. If nothing else, hopefully he get some added traction with the audience as they vote off more people and there's more time for behind-the-scenes clips.
    Last edited by RDF; 03-26-2008 at 01:18 AM.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Griffi97 View Post
    I was glad it was Penn who went home. I felt bad for Monica because she was really trying but she just didn't have the moves - too stiff. Kristi is going to be great, and I hope the Chilean guy stays around because he's HOT. And with no Maxim the show is kind of hurting for hot guys. Tony's okay, but Max,
    I have to admit that I miss Max too. The first couple seasons he came across as a bit of a drill instructor and a bully. But the last two seasons they teamed him with a couple tough women who would bark right back at him (boxer Laila Ali and Mel B of the Spice Girls). And once he couldn't bully his partners around, he suddenly turned out to have a boyish, goofy side to him. It was funny to see. The women were dogging him, and he was just grinnning and going along with it.

Also, Max is one of the bigger ballroom "names" on the show. He's a champion and a trainer, and he has a couple dance studios in NYC.

I think that's one of the fun aspects of seeing DWTS across multiple seasons--seeing the ballroom pros get used to the camera and develop on-air personalities. For all their glitter, the ballroom pros started out the first season looking pretty ragged. All the celebs and judges and MCs are Hollywood regulars or world-class athletes and have already had lots of time in front of the camera, whereas the ballroom pros were new to the cameras and the Hollywood scene. But in the end the ballroom pros have cleaned up nicely and are becoming celebs themselves.

Probably my favorite ballroom pro is Edyta Sliwinska. She's the workhorse of DWTS. She has appeared in every season, and she has been paired with pretty much the very worst celeb dancers every time. Finally she has the football player (Jason Taylor) and a chance to stay on the show more than just a couple weeks.

Concerning the celebs:

Kristi Yamaguchi is perfect. That's the Olympic training coming through, and after having two kids no less. She's obviously putting in long hours getting every movement just right, and her muscular control is astounding--like the end of her dance last night, when she was dropped from a standing position and caught twelve inches off the floor, and she barely bowed or flexed. With her, the game is going to be to see whether there are some dances that are worse or better for her and whether she can be consistent about hitting perfection week after week.

Personally, I'm hoping the Chilean guy (Christian De La Fuente) will stick around a little longer and develop a little personality. Right now he just looks like a deer caught in the headlights. But he's obviously putting in the practice time and being serious about picking up the dancing, so maybe he'll last long enough to loosen up a bit and start having some fun with the audience. He's a TV and film star back home, so hopefully he'll warm up a bit for the cameras here in the U.S. and show a bit more of himself.
    Last edited by RDF; 03-26-2008 at 01:22 AM.