• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anime suggestions for a "Death Note" fan

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
Hi,
I don't watch anime often, and usually I don't like it very much.
For example, I don't like Miyazaki and studio ghibli or ghost in the shell or cowboy bebop.
One I like is detective Conan, but especially, after I have heard about "death note" here, I watched the series and I loved it and also the three live-action movies.
I like the plot, the atmosphere (the complexity and seriousness) and particularly the main characters L and Light.
What I could watch now? Movies or Tv series.
Thnaks. Bye.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You may want to give Code Geass a try, Lelouch is very similar to Light in personality (INTJ 1w9).

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gungrave is very plot heavy, decent action, in my opinion in terms of storylines, not similar, but just as good as death note.
Quite some action, a mafia like world, some sci fi elements, and some good plot twists.

Also, and this one isn't much like deathnote either, but is still pretty plot heavy, so I'll mention it. Juuni Kokuki (12 kingdoms)

If you like action, this one might not be much for you, as there isn't much action in the anime. It's also not very easy to get into though, quite frankly, the main character isn't very likable at first, or rather, not likable at all, so the first episodes are fairly annoying to get through, but as the story evolves and the main character evolves, I found myself more and more interested in the anime. Climaxing near the end! Also, somewhere along the episodes there is this arc/ministory (iirc like 10 episodes long or so) that is basicly just giving depth to the world, and explains some more about the workings and events in the world, but in itself doesn't add anything to the main story. And kinda falls out of place. You should by that time already be drawn in enough to be able to watch those without much problems though.

One of my most favorite anime's is Claymore. Really violent, lots of gore, monster killings, pretty good story arc and great evolving main character. The only downside is that the biggest plot (the truth behind 'the organization') doesn't get resolved in the anime (it's still not resolved in the manga, although quite a bit further.) The anime focuses more on the story of revenge of one particular person, that isn't that plot heavy, but very action heavy.

In my opinion, all anime's should be watched with the original japanese voice overs and english subtitles. English dubs suck.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lelouch1.jpg

"Cold and callous, that's the key."

Lelouch is basically Light after spending too much time at drama school :bananallama:. I mean, more than Light already obviously has. I'm not sure Malcontent will like Code Geass. The principle difference between Code Geass and Death Note is the presence of mecha and corny dialogue. Both these things put off less fervent anime watchers.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
Thanks for the input.
Now I watched episodes 1x01-02-03-04 of Code Geass. It seems pretty interesting, and you're right, Lelouch is very similar to Light Jagami so for now I continue to watch it.
Then, I watched some trailers on youtube and briefly read wikipedia. And I could give a try to Gungrave, but 12 kingdoms and claymore don't inspire me very much...
Bye!

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Watch Kaiji. It's a battle of the wits anime that really gets your heart beating. They're really good at setting up the suspense. One of my favorites.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for the input.
Now I watched episodes 1x01-02-03-04 of Code Geass. It seems pretty interesting, and you're right, Lelouch is very similar to Light Jagami so for now I continue to watch it.
Then, I watched some trailers on youtube and briefly read wikipedia. And I could give a try to Gungrave, but 12 kingdoms and claymore don't inspire me very much...
Bye!

just wait, he gets way more crazy (in a good way) than Light as the story progresses.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Oh dude claymore is awesome. It's more about the intensity than anything else, I'm not sure the description could really express its awesomeness in words.