User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The Orchestral Music appreciation thread.

Symbolic Herald Array

Part, though not my favorite, indicates you probably know your stuff.

My favorite 4th symphony is Tchaikovsky's, this 1st mvt. is so awesome!

Sorry if these have been put up already. They're somewhat popular I suppose, and it's hard to tell since old video links are broken now.

Senior Member Array

Composer James Horner died recently in a plane crash. He was famous for composing the scores for many big blockbuster films; Braveheart, Apollo 13, and particularly Titanic. He collaborated with James Cameron a few times, composing scores for Aliens and Avatar as well. In the years between Aliens (1986) and Titanic (1997) he collaborated with another director: Phil Alden Robinson. Robinson and Horner worked together on Robinson's best-known work, Field of Dreams (1989), as well as his following film: Sneakers (1992).

Sneakers is about a motley group of men who break into companies' security systems in order to point out the systems' vulnerabilities, and end up in a bind when two suits from the NSA show up and ask them to retrieve a mysterious "little black box" from a mathematician who specializes in cryptography. It's not one of my favourite films of all-time but it's the sort of movie that, if it's on TV and I have the time, I'll definitely sit down and watch. It's pretty light-hearted and very prescient about cyber-security and intelligence gathering, and has a great cast: Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, Mary McDonnell, Ben Kingsley, Dan Aykroyd, David Straithairn, River Phoenix, James Earl Jones and great character actors Timothy Busfield, Eddie Jones and Donal Logue.

I always liked Horner's score. I believe it's one of his most under-appreciated.