User Tag List

First 23456 Last

1941 got me thinking of another screwball military comedy of the time: Stripes! Unfortunately I couldn't find a clip of my favourite part of Elmer Bernstein's score, Winger's leitmotif. It's not really orchestral anyway, but it did get me thinking of Elmer Bernstein.

Bernstein collaborated with Ivan Reitman in the '80s, scoring almost all of his films (the only one he didn't was Twins, I think). Anyway, Bernstein's kooky score to Ghostbusters is often forgotten because of the popularity of the pop song by Ray Parker, Jr.
    [YOUTUBE="xyLA-AdJuKc"]Main Theme from Ghostbusters - Elmer Bernstein[/YOUTUBE]

Bernstein didn't just score goofy comedies (he also wrote the scores for Airplane!, Animal House, The Blues Brothers, Trading Places, Spies Like Us and ¡Three Amigos!), he was a celebrated composer in the '60s. I think his finest work was for To Kill a Mockingbird:
    [YOUTUBE="b3XLsV1JgC8"]Theme from To Kill a Mockingbird - Elmer Bernstein[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="HGNDdLPJT9o"]End Credits from Star Fox[/YOUTUBE]

I would love to play that game again. I haven't played on an SNES in a long, long time.

[YOUTUBE="1jtCWMSR5T4"][/YOUTUBE]

Banned

I used to love Star Trek, and this was my favourite piece of 'Trek' music. It's from The Motion Picture, when Kirk first sees the refit Enterprise. It's also the audience's first glimpse of the iconic ship since the TV series was cancelled in 1969, ten years before the release of the film.

Largely unaccompanied by dialogue and sound effects, the song is fittingly called "The Enterprise".

Jerry Goldsmith went on to score the fifth, eighth, ninth and tenth Star Trek films, and his theme from the first movie went on to be adapted into the theme for Star Trek: The Next Generation.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

does these qualify?

and bit darker stuff

"Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

No, because four people playing string instruments is a string quartet, not an orchestra.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

I thought this thread needed some more love, so here is Brahms' Third Symphony (he only wrote four - quality not quantity I guess).

This is one of my favourite symphonies, but I haven't yet worked out exactly why.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvcg3fXV3rs"]Part 1[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6sSzFp0qI4"]Part 2[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERF45KiPOwI"]Part 3[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyixZraAIG8"]Part 4[/YOUTUBE]

Deep down I'm a sappy, sentimental idiot. I love this song. If you have seen the movie, it's at the point after the town festival where Doc Brown and Clara are sitting under the stars talking about, well, the stars, and eventually their mutual love of Jules Verne's works. (The cue at 0:56 is when they start talking about Verne.)

[YOUTUBE="exBrJHHeBVI"]"The Kiss", from Back to the Future Part III[/YOUTUBE]

edit: Forgot to mention this was composed by Alan Silvestri, who got his start scoring films in the mid-'70s but didn't become prominent until he started collaborating with director Robert Zemeckis for '84's Romancing The Stone. He's done a ton of work with Zemeckis.

David Foster is probably best known as a music producer but in the '80s he composed a lot of his own music. He wrote the following song, "Water Fountain", as a love theme for the movie The Secret of My Success.

[YOUTUBE="hQbL6ZhAVsI"]"Water Fountain" by David Foster[/YOUTUBE]

Not only did he compose it, he performed as part of the orchestra. Foster got his start in the music business as a keyboardist. That's him on the piano.