Thread: Dragon Age II

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I played the beta of that game, and it seemed like the bastard lovechild of WoW and Lineage 2. Perhaps the initial similarities between the two kinda distorted my perception, and surprisingly I've heard a lot of die-hard wow fans raving about it.
    Obviously a lot of it is modeled after WoW, just like WoW took what EQ did and tried to improve it.
    It's just that WoW was a less "cobbled" game to start with, so not as much difference.

The cool parts are of course the "Rifts" which are continual/ongoing invasion portals that open up all around the world. It's basically "pick up raids" for those who hate committing to a 60-person Raid that takes a few hours to get through; if you run across one, you have the option to simply join the public group and get assigned to a team, you fight, then you go your way. It's pretty cool.

The 3-soul system of skill tree building (where you mix and match whatever trees you want, hopefully to build synergy and reflect personal play style) is pretty cool too.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Been playing it since morning. This game should be renamed Dragon Age: sidequests and errands.

Overarching plot? We don't need no fucking overarching plot!

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Hmm.. sounds like Mass Effect 2.

I haven't gotten mine yet. I ordered some special edition that was on backorder. Oh well.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Been playing it since morning. This game should be renamed Dragon Age: sidequests and errands.

Well, I'm making my way through awakening for the first time. I must say, I much prefer the story and characters, despite the unfinished and not as fleshed out feel, over origins. Is the sequel more like awakening or origins in that sense?

Another concern I have, is just how easy even nightmare is if you have even the vaguest semblance of what you are doing. No tactics were required if you simply knew which skills were powerful, and which attributes to level. Neither of which are difficult to discover. Have you tried nightmare? Are more tactics required than the original? Is an all mage party still going to waltz through every battle (or the even more ridiculous archers in awakening)?

Banned

*waits patiently on his steam counter ticking down to release*

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Oh noes!

Well, mine is sitting here in front of me. I'll install it later. Right now I need to finish leveling my SC/Ele/Chloro mage to 20 in Rift.... so close!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE

I played Origins and had some fun, although I ran out of steam partway through the storyline. To those of you who have purchased the game, please keep me apprised of any opinions about gameplay, etc. I would like to play, but I can't justify the expenditure unless I have a good indication that the game will prove to be an ample source of entertainment.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Right now I need to finish leveling my SC/Ele/Chloro mage to 20 in Rift.... so close!
    How does Rift compare with WoW, assuming you have played them both sufficiently?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Well, I'm making my way through awakening for the first time. I must say, I much prefer the story and characters, despite the unfinished and not as fleshed out feel, over origins. Is the sequel more like awakening or origins in that sense?
    It's nothing like either of the two.

Like I said there is a very loose plot. Looser then Mass Effect 2s even. It's a series of side quests at first. The main antagonist hasn't appeared or even been mentioned, I'm assuming that it's the Arashok of the Qunari peoples however, but when I spoke to him he was so civil and neutral that I just don't know for sure.

You know what this game feels like? I'm sure this will raise some eyebrows... but it reminds me of Persona 3. Most of the focus goes into hanging out with your party members who at this point all you've done is hang out and do side quests together.

Something that bothers me is that in past bioware games you'd have a central hub to gather at where you could speak to all the members of your party, save for Jade Empire, but in this game you have to go to speak to each member of the party you must traverse to their homes or places of employment. Sure it makes sense in this game, but why I can't I just speak to them while they're in my active party? Why must I suffer an extra load time?

The dialouge as you may have figured is now styled after Mass effects guess what you're going to say game. I've said things in this game by complete accident, and sure you know the tone of what you're going to say but you don't know WHAT you're going to say. This has made for some humorous moments in game where I wanted to say one thing and said something completely different.

Another concern I have, is just how easy even nightmare is if you have even the vaguest semblance of what you are doing. No tactics were required if you simply knew which skills were powerful, and which attributes to level. Neither of which are difficult to discover. Have you tried nightmare? Are more tactics required than the original? Is an all mage party still going to waltz through every battle (or the even more ridiculous archers in awakening)?
    This game is significant easier on all settings then origins was. To my knowledge friendly fire is only available on Nightmare. Tactics are probably necessary on higher levels but not on normal.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It's nothing like either of the two.

Like I said there is a very loose plot. Looser then Mass Effect 2s even. It's a series of side quests at first. The main antagonist hasn't appeared or even been mentioned, I'm assuming that it's the Arashok of the Qunari peoples however, but when I spoke to him he was so civil and neutral that I just don't know for sure.

You know what this game feels like? I'm sure this will raise some eyebrows... but it reminds me of Persona 3. Most of the focus goes into hanging out with your party members who at this point all you've done is hang out and do side quests together.

Something that bothers me is that in past bioware games you'd have a central hub to gather at where you could speak to all the members of your party, save for Jade Empire, but in this game you have to go to speak to each member of the party you must traverse to their homes or places of employment. Sure it makes sense in this game, but why I can't I just speak to them while they're in my active party? Why must I suffer an extra load time?
    I'm reading a pretty neutral tone overall? I'm guessing it's yet to make an impact on you.

As for dialogue wheel. It's Bioware, they are great at NPC dialogue, terrible at PC dialogue. So I expect as much.

A great demonstration some else gave:

"Hey Shepard, can I punch you in the dick?"

1. Sure!
    2. I guess. Why not?
    3. Fine, but make it quick.

And that's supposed to be the positive, neutral, and negative reactions >_>
    They don't have much range or variation in how the PC can respond, and a lot of the options are just fluff that impact nothing.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Yes, and then there are the extreme dialouge choices, where the options are between timidly asking if there's a calm nice way to resolve everything, or killing the person you were speaking to, going to his parents home and feeding them their child, then telling them that they just ate their dead son.

It's a step back.