• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dragon Age II

G

Ginkgo

The game was quite forgettable.

And there is a reason the mages were acting loony and the templars were acting equally so, and why Kirkwell was crazy to begin with. It's a hidden quest (Fucking retarded for what maybe the most important information in this game.) that includes you gathering pieces of history around Kirkwell throughout the game. It's not on your journal, and you can't see how well your doing, there's no reward or even a cutscene. I can't even begin to pretend to know how to explain it adequately however so instead I'll direct you to the link and a quote.

And no this isn't spoiling. These are literally impossible to find without a guide. No way in hell you would have found these on your own, you wouldn't even know you were looking for them.

The Band of Three

The Enigma of Kirkwall

Archaeologist

I'll try to paraphrase it.

Kirkwell is a giant demon summoning ground. You'll also notice that the happiest people in the game are the people who are sending you letters from outside of Kirkwell, people who left, or never arrived. This summoning circle makes it far easier for mages to become possessed and turn to demons. This in of itself is problem alone but there's the idea that Templars are kind of dicks on top of that. The best solution is the solution never presented in the game, because no one had the chance likely as you don't figure out the mystery till during the final mission and it's not brought up in conversation. The game is lose-lose situation where all the players are idiots who deserve it anyways with the exception of the Hawke family and Varric. That was kind of the point. To present a situation where no one is right, but shit will happen regardless of what you do.

Obviously the Makers are trying to encourage you to discover your own satisfaction in doing the side quest for nothing. Just think of yourself as one of those haughty paladins who slays the town monster, is offered gold, and then refuses: "No good sir, I needn't any of your gold", which the townsman responds:"Fuck you you arrogant prick, I need it. Take it!" See? It all works out in the end as long as you acquire good karma for being an obnoxious douche doing the quest for nothing. Maybe if you went about it that way you wouldn't be so disappoint.

KDude

Yeah, I gathered that from the enigma of kirkwall codexes.. and yes, it blows in how it's implemented.

I wouldn't say the game's forgettable though. It has a lot of flaws, but a lot of things that make up for it. Even though the story has holes, the lore keeps me interested, I guess. Some of the characters are great too. But the combat is a huge improvement imo. Granted, I've always been more of a console gamer, but I don't see how anyone can load up any one of these classes now in DAO and actually say it's better. It feels like sludging through mollases in comparison.

I think a lot of the flaws and sloppiness are due to time constraints (as usual). I hope the sequel is even better than both 1 and 2. I read that they're scaling part 3 back up to the size of DAO, but with a lot of good features of DA2. And I believe it. If only because half of the time spent making this game was reworking the engine. Now that that's out of the way, they can focus on content more.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
(altho I did enjoy Flemeth's cameo).

I remember straight after DA:O, everyone thought the sequel would be about Flemeth. I didn't pay attention to the story of DA2 (I don't like spoilers) until I played it and you can imagine my disappointment when I discovered that it wasn't really about Flemeth at all. :(

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I remember straight after DA:O, everyone thought the sequel would be about Flemeth. I didn't pay attention to the story of DA2 (I don't like spoilers) until I played it and you can imagine my disappointment when I discovered that it wasn't really about Flemeth at all. :(

I thought Kate Mulgrew's voice acting (or at least the way she was directed and the clips integrated) was much improved in DA2, at least. I think the snippeting much more prominent in the first game, with all the voice selections/choices, made it hard to create a consistent dramatic arc, but here she was quite good. And I kind of liked the way the crafty old sneak dodged her fate from DAO, it's just like her... how else has she managed to survive all this time?

Obviously the Makers are trying to encourage you to discover your own satisfaction in doing the side quest for nothing. Just think of yourself as one of those haughty paladins who slays the town monster, is offered gold, and then refuses: "No good sir, I needn't any of your gold", which the townsman responds:"Fuck you you arrogant prick, I need it. Take it!" See? It all works out in the end as long as you acquire good karma for being an obnoxious douche doing the quest for nothing. Maybe if you went about it that way you wouldn't be so disappoint.

"Who is this person who speaks to us as though we needed his advice?" -- the Edward Longshanks collective
*maneuvers Ginkgo carefully toward an open tower window*

G

Ginkgo

"Who is this person who speaks to us as though we needed his advice?" -- the Edward Longshanks collective
*maneuvers Ginkgo carefully toward an open tower window*

bugs-florida.gif

KDude

I remember straight after DA:O, everyone thought the sequel would be about Flemeth.

Only everyone who was a fan of Morrigan and chose the ritual. There's a lot of narrative possibility with that (just like other endings), but they overrate it's significance.

Besides, these people got an expansion just months before DA2 came out (Witch Hunt).

Flemeth is a great character though, I'll give you that.