User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Thread: Dragon Age II

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    The crap AI drives me nuts. As well as the fact that you can't tell your companions to hold position individually.
    Seriously, your companions often don't have any danger sense. They'll just stand there being blasted by whatever magic, when they should move (changing 'ranged' 'aggressive' etc doesn't change this). Enemies likewise.

Given how repetitive the game already is, I'm not going to play it again.
    Hmm...I didn't really have any of these problems? Do you set custom tactics? Anders Cone of Cold's when he's under attack and moves, likewise with Varric. But for me, setting tactics is half the fun of the game for me, whether I need to or not.

Some spoilers here, but I'll avoid conclusions beyond the obvious.

I finished the game, looking forward to another playthrough. Going to try to hack the savegame so I can get Bethany instead of that worthless husk of an individual, Carver, while still playing a mage.

As for comments on the story, I'm left...satisfied, but I really shouldn't be. While one can make an argument that the world can only need saving so many times within a 10 year period, there still isn't any reason why Hawke is a compelling character or the storyline interesting at all, on its own terms. The only reason why it ended up being interesting to me was because I carried over some emotional dispositions towards the Circle, Chantry, and Templars that the story evoked, however I still couldn't see why Hawke would care at all. Throughout the story, Hawke never has his own agenda [I suppose to allow for the player to determine agenda, but there's still nothing there] or has a personal quest to discover anything about himself, or overcome something in his past, or anything else of any kind of importance.

What I've noticed is that the designers borrowed a lot of ME2's systems without bothering to wonder if Dragon Age and ME2 appealed to the same consumer at all. I worry that Bioware is essentially creating a single formula for their games, and they just sub in whatever theme and content the particular IP is about. Unfortunately, they seem to NOT have borrowed New Game + But that's what the savegame editor is for

Still like the combat though. Sucking everyone to one spot with that Force Mage spell, having Fenris Whirlwind for the AOE stagger, followed up with Fist of the Maker for +900% damage never, ever gets old.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Still like the combat though. Sucking everyone to one spot with that Force Mage spell, having Fenris Whirlwind for the AOE stagger, followed up with Fist of the Maker for +900% damage never, ever gets old.
    Oh, geez... I didn't notice that Force Mage spell yet. Fenris's Whirl is pretty cool -- I usually have maxed out Lightning/Fire storms in play on the same mage and just pound an area, though. The mages can be so damn powerful that pretty much the rest of the team is just along to tank, although they do can do great single-mob damage.

I had Bethany on my first run (as a rogue). I think you get two other mages along with Bethany if you are not a mage, which is quite a variety that you can stack spells up on. Sometimes I run a party with two different mages, which again is crazy with one doing damage and the other running heal and jack-of-all-trade (along with more damage) spells.

As far as Bethany and Carver go, there are many potential outcomes for each character during the plot; and depending on what you do, whichever one you're grouped with can live, die, disappear for awhile, etc. Just gotta watch it if you waste a lot of time on a build for them and then the game takes them away.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Just finished it tonight with my rogue. I think I maybe had 37 hours accumulated, as per the last save game?

i can't say it was awful, and in some ways it was enjoyable (and I have to say, my team kicked ass), but it was mostly a questing/fighting grind; and worst, when I got to the end, it just felt anti-climactic. I mean, a "big battle" does not an endgame make. I'm there for a narrative, and... just not really sure what the point to this story was.

And it was also kind of disappointing in how the entire story never really leaves one main location. It felt very small in scope, story-wise.

If I had been able to play it first before paying, I would have paid maybe $30-35 for it but no more than that.

About my favorite part of the game was Flemeth. I found her more interesting in this game than the first one. Merrill and Anders both had interesting storylines, although I kinda thought Anders was over the top (and he's no longer my boyfriend, that freak). At one point, a lot of familiar characters started showing up. Two of the ones I recall now were pretty much true to form and I enjoyed seeing them, but the other one did not seem to very much fit the characterization/tone from DAO in terms of personality and I was disappointed.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I found Flemeth more interesting the rest of the game.

And you only see her twice...

So how did your Anders and Merril turn out? Just visitor message me if you don't want to spoiler it here.

This isn't nearly as bad as some made it out to be. I like the improvements.. especially the graphics (which blew in the first) and direction they've taken with giving your character a voice and a name.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I liked it, but I agree that the choke/decision points feel very forced. In many senses, it doesn't matter what you do in between, because there is going to be a fundamental, A/B decision you have to make that determines the next segment of the game. I also agree that the constrained geographic region was a bit disappointing.

On the plus side, I still liked the dialog and the characters and side interaction. Anders was totally my boyfriend, even if he was

Force magery does rule, though.

I found the characters to be a little less humorous/interesting than they were in DAO. Still, I was satisfied with it, overall.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

What is it with dudes named Anders, amirite?

Hah..

Well, I mostly play (straight) male characters, but since the default female looks like some badass Xena lookalike, I might play a warrior.. and hook up with Anders.

More than likely though, I'll just be a lesbian.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    What is it with dudes named Anders, amirite?

On an unrelated note, if you like the design of the "religion icon" type of art direction in the narration and menus, there's another game that kind of looks entirely like that.. and it rocks: Outland.

Just felt like mentioning it.. we're all fantasy gaming fans apparently.